Offer Sheet Thread

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Alot of those guys will be re-signed, maybe a couple traded.

One of the effective offer sheets was when the Sharks signed Hjarmlsson and forced the Hawks to match... which forced them to let Antti Niemi go (who the Sharks then signed).

Very interesting to see how the Leafs will deal with their contacts next summer

Rfa Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo
Ufa- Gardiner, Hainsey

They will obviously have to pay Matthews and Marner so how much will that leave for the rest?

Jets are up against it too, the price of having talent and a cap.

Last edited:

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
To not offer sheet is to not do your job to the best of your ability IMO. Use all the tools available to create a winner. If an offer sheet makes sense, do it. Should be 5-6 of these each summer.

Reactions: Deebs

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I'm going to say the Coyotes offer sheet Matthews when the time comes.
I believe the Leafs would just match, whatever the contract was and then trade others if necessary. He`s too special a player to lose.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Maybe it's just a unwritten agreement, one that held for a time in the past until some went astray and might've been re-stated, agreed by all of them.

They aren't colluding to anything. There's no secret deception here, nothing illegal. Maybe you should go read what collusion means.

There is a logical reason not to make big offer sheets, and it is the draft picks given up.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
There is a logical reason not to make big offer sheets, and it is the draft picks given up.

You make it sound as though they always have to fork out 4 1st round picks, which isn't the case. An offersheet to Nylander at the salary he got, or even higher might be worth it for a team finishing high and who's 1st round pick isn't worth as much.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You make it sound as though they always have to fork out 4 1st round picks, which isn't the case. An offersheet to Nylander at the salary he got, or even higher might be worth it for a team finishing high and who's 1st round pick isn't worth as much.
it has to be higher, otherwise they match, that's what they were willing to offer anyway

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

If the contract is for 7 years, then the value for compensation purposes is 40% higher, because it can only be divided by maximum 5 years.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Well it's a month too early to even think about it, most of the names on that list will disappear as soon as their team are allowed to have contract talks with them.

Then come the logistic behind the move, Habs have too many missing pieces to afford to pay the compensation. Offer sheets kind of only make sense if you think the move will put you over the top for a few years.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
No offer sheet was made for nearly 6 years.

And I don't see why it would happen next summer.

GMs knows the repercussions, and don't want to live with em, understandably.

The 'code' is still there, and always will be there.

I know I don't want to pay the picks for one player, nor do I want our team to be a target for the next 5 years.

Bergevin won't do that anyway, let's just hope he sticks to the goddamn route he seems to have taken, draft and develop.

We don't know that...only signed offer sheets get media attention.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Which of those RFAs would sign here? It's not a championship team.

I don't think that would stop young guys from signing. Carolina RFA'd Fedorov, Oilers RFA'd vanek. Both were unsuccessful. Rangers RFA'd Sakic

History has proven that its typically a futile effort. How many offers have not been matched? I can only think of Penner.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't think that would stop young guys from signing. Carolina RFA'd Fedorov, Oilers RFA'd vanek. Both were unsuccessful. Rangers RFA'd Sakic

History has proven that its typically a futile effort. How many offers have not been matched? I can only think of Penner.

Some players also outright refuse to sign the offersheet like Subban did to Philly.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
? I don’t remember that.

Weber signed a 14 years offer sheet with Philly though

It's a little known fact because he did not sign it. I think it was when he was holding out before 12-13.

An offersheet usually makes the headlines because it gets signed.

I'll try to find it, but it wasn't in print. It was over the radio or tv interview with an agent a few years after the fact.

Holmgren was pretty aggressive on the RFA market.

Kesler was also given an offersheet by the Flyers in 06 by Clarke. Holmgren was his AGM at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cobra Commander

thegoalie39

Nov 28, 2018
Most RFA's will be signed by July 1st even if they are not teams can match and just trade another player if they do not have cap space.....Montreal should target Panarin as a UFA start clearing some cap space ....Shaw at 3.9 and Schlemko at 2.1 should be gone for sure and if you can get a good return for Petry at 5.5 move him also.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
To not offer sheet is to not do your job to the best of your ability IMO. Use all the tools available to create a winner. If an offer sheet makes sense, do it. Should be 5-6 of these each summer.
There should be, but probably wont be............personally would love to offer sheets used more, but GM's are rarely thinking this way...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad