Offer Sheet Thread

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
With all the outstanding young RFA's potentially becoming available after this year and the precedent Nylander has set for them by sitting out this year waiting for the contract he thinks he deserves, what are the odds we see an offer sheet next year. Most of the old guard GM's are gone and the "code" towards not stealing other teams players isn't as prevalent. We have a good chunk of cap space....just curious to others thoughts on this subject.

There are some massive names out there.

FORWARDS
Auston Matthews, C, TOR

Patrik Laine, RW, WPG

Mitchell Marner, RW, TOR

Sebastian Aho, C, CAR

Mikko Rantanen, RW, COL

Matthew Tkachuk, LW, CGY

Brock Boeser, RW, VAN

William Karlsson, C, VGK

Kyle Connor, LW, WPG

Brayden Point, C, TBL

Teuvo Teravainen, LW, CAR

Jake Guentzel, LW, PIT

Timo Meier, LW/RW, SJS

Travis Konecny, RW, PHI

Nick Schmaltz, C, CHI

Kevin Fiala, LW, NSH

Anthony Beauvillier, LW, NYI

Pavel Buchnevich, RW, NYR

Andre Burakovsky, LW/RW, WSH

DEFENSEMEN
Charlie McAvoy, D, BOS

Zach Werenski, D, CBJ

Ivan Provorov, D, PHI

Will Butcher, D, NJD

Jacob Trouba, D, WPG

Nikita Zadorov, D, COL

Esa Lindell, D, DAL

Neal Pionk, D, NYR

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It's definitely going to make for an interesting summer. While Leafs fans are blaming Nylander's greed/agent/dad I would bet anything the NHLPA is also involved behind the scenes. They've done it before.

Young players going for $8m to $11m contracts and holding out for it will probably lead to another lock-out.

Previously, you took a less than market value for 5 years then got big money after that. That's changed. Subban, McDavid, Draisatl and Eichel's contracts in particular have changed that.

From a fantasy pov, Marner & Tkachuk I like the most. Then Matthews.

Lindell, Provorov and Werenski on D.

Reactions: NobleSix

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
No offer sheet was made for nearly 6 years.

And I don't see why it would happen next summer.

GMs knows the repercussions, and don't want to live with em, understandably.

The 'code' is still there, and always will be there.

I know I don't want to pay the picks for one player, nor do I want our team to be a target for the next 5 years.

Bergevin won't do that anyway, let's just hope he sticks to the goddamn route he seems to have taken, draft and develop.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd hate to be the Aho who says it won't happen, but that's just the Point -- it won't.

All the GMs are as thick as thieves and no one wants to risk the Trouba of finding out that any offer will be matched.

Any team that considers it, if any, Will Butcher their own prospects's lists, all of which would cause massive inflationary forces to prevail across the league.

It all sounds like a vain attempt to revive the Schmaltz of another era when teams were not shackled by the Cap and could actually get into bidding wars.

Also, the price to be paid for the best of RFAs would be outrageous, losing all those first round draft picks -- especially in the upcoming drafts, you could easily end up looking like a Boeser and even worse if your team finishes low in the standings over the next 5 years.

It would be worse than the fable of Hansel and Guentzel.

It all sounds like it could produce a bang, but no, it's quite the opposite, it'll fizzle and make sounds like Fiala and Pionk!

End of Rantanen.

Last edited:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Which of those RFAs would sign here? It's not a championship team.
Why do players sign with non contending teams during free agency, money. I think the same could apply to a few of these guys. I think with today's players and GM's, everything is changing and I think offer sheets being offered could happen. So many young stars who believe they should get big money right away instead of putting in their dues seems to be the ways things are happening now.

I'd like to see it start to happen

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With all the outstanding young RFA's potentially becoming available after this year and the precedent Nylander has set for them by sitting out this year waiting for the contract he thinks he deserves, what are the odds we see an offer sheet next year. Most of the old guard GM's are gone and the "code" towards not stealing other teams players isn't as prevalent. We have a good chunk of cap space....just curious to others thoughts on this subject.

FORWARDS
Auston Matthews, C, TOR

Patrik Laine, RW, WPG

Mitchell Marner, RW, TOR

Sebastian Aho, C, CAR

Mikko Rantanen, RW, COL

Matthew Tkachuk, LW, CGY

Brock Boeser, RW, VAN

William Karlsson, C, VGK

Kyle Connor, LW, WPG

Brayden Point, C, TBL

Jake Guentzel, LW, PIT

Timo Meier, LW/RW, SJS

Travis Konecny, RW, PHI

Nick Schmaltz, C, CHI

Kevin Fiala, LW, NSH

DEFENSEMEN
Charlie McAvoy, D, BOS

Zach Werenski, D, CBJ

Ivan Provorov, D, PHI

Will Butcher, D, NJD

Jacob Trouba, D, WPG

Nikita Zadorov, D, COL

Esa Lindell, D, DAL

Neal Pionk, D, NYR

The top names will get matched no matter how high the offer sheet is, so scratch them off your list. Then there's the next tier. And, if you successfully sign them, you have to give up a boat load of future 1st round picks.

For example, two summers ago I wanted to offer sheet Kuznetsov 12-15 million aav. People thought it was too much. But in hind sight he's a very talented #1 center and imo definitely worth that. But the problem is we wouldn't have Kotkaniemi and many other assets because of all the first round picks we'd lose.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

FORWARDS
Auston Matthews, C, TOR

Patrik Laine, RW, WPG

Mitchell Marner, RW, TOR

Sebastian Aho, C, CAR

Mikko Rantanen, RW, COL

Matthew Tkachuk, LW, CGY

Brock Boeser, RW, VAN

William Karlsson, C, VGK

Kyle Connor, LW, WPG

Brayden Point, C, TBL

Jake Guentzel, LW, PIT

Timo Meier, LW/RW, SJS

Travis Konecny, RW, PHI

Nick Schmaltz, C, CHI

Kevin Fiala, LW, NSH

DEFENSEMEN
Charlie McAvoy, D, BOS

Zach Werenski, D, CBJ

Ivan Provorov, D, PHI

Will Butcher, D, NJD

Jacob Trouba, D, WPG

Nikita Zadorov, D, COL

Esa Lindell, D, DAL

Neal Pionk, D, NYR

Super Names but I've got an inkling ownership frowns on offer sheets more than the GM's do.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
The top names will get matched no matter how high the offer sheet is, so scratch them off your list. Then there's the next tier. And, if you successfully sign them, you have to give up a boat load of future 1st round picks.

For example, two summers ago I wanted to offer sheet Kuznetsov 12-15 million aav. People thought it was too much. But in hind sight he's a very talented #1 center and imo definitely worth that. But the problem is we wouldn't have Kotkaniemi and many other assets because of all the first round picks we'd lose.
He's good, but he's not worth McDavid money imo.

Now that we have some young players on the books and probably won't be selecting in the Top 5-10 going forward, it might not be a bad idea to make an offer to a young, proven player if the price is right. Might not be able to land a big fish, but a 2nd tier guy like you say.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's good, but he's not worth McDavid money imo.

Now that we have some young players on the books and probably won't be selecting in the Top 5-10 going forward, it might not be a bad idea to make an offer to a young, proven player if the price is right. Might not be able to land a big fish, but a 2nd tier guy like you say.

McDavid is not worth McDavid money. He's worth far more. Would you really not take McDavid on your team for 17 milion a year, or whatever the league max is?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’m glad Nylander has been holding out. Not because he’s a Leafs player but because why should he be the one to take a paycut so they can pay the others on his team even more? Take a paycut for the richest ownership in the league, the whole idea is ridiculous.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
McDavid is not worth McDavid money. He's worth far more. Would you really not take McDavid on your team for 17 milion a year, or whatever the league max is?
$17M...that would be stupid as you couldn't sign anybody else.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
$17M...that would be stupid as you couldn't sign anybody else.

Price, Alzner and Shaw make more than 17 Million. I'd take McDavid over them. If we need to sign a 4 million dollar goal I then waive Schlemko and Benn. You can afford 17 million if you don't have so much deadweight salary.

Reactions: cphabs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Price, Alzner and Shaw make more than 17 Million. I'd take McDavid over them. If we need to sign a 4 million dollar goal I then waive Schlemko and Benn. You can afford 17 million if you don't have so much deadweight salary.
Good luck with that. I guess I just disagree with signing one player to a $17M contract and think I can fill my roster and win consistently.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Good luck with that. I guess I just disagree with signing one player to a $17M contract and think I can fill my roster and win consistently.
17 million out of a cap of 79.5 million is a similar percentage as the 7.5 million the Bruins gave Chara out of a cap of 39 million.

They went on to win a cup led by Chara.

The cap will continue to go up, and the percentage of the cap down.

Reactions: habergeon

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'd hate to be the Aho who says it won't happen, but that's just the Point -- it won't.

All the GMs are as thick as thieves and no one wants to risk the Trouba of finding out that any offer will be matched.

Any team that considers it, if any, Will Butcher their own prospects's lists, all of which would cause massive inflationary forces to prevail across the league.

It all sounds like a vain attempt to revive the Schmaltz of another era when teams were not shackled by the Cap and could actually get into bidding wars.

Also, the price to be paid for the best of RFAs would be outrageous, losing all those first round draft picks -- especially in the upcoming drafts, you could easily end up looking like a Boeser and even worse if your team finishes low in the standings over the next 5 years.

It would be worse than the fable of Hansel and Guentzel.

It all sounds like it could produce a bang, but no, it's quite the opposite, it'll fizzle and make sounds like Fiala and Pionk!

End of Rantanen.

Fantastic!

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Listened to Gord Miller on TSN690 earlier last week or the week before and he said it wouldn't surprise him if Matthews and Marner make it to July 1st unsigned that 2 separate teams would throw offersheets at both players on the same day. I think Miller was just spitballing and I doubt that will happen but if it did it would certainly make for some interesting reading on HF if it did happen. :laugh:

Reactions: Runner77

Jul 6, 2016
When was the last time a team made an offer sheet to a player ?

Long, long time ago.... Call it collusion if you want.

Jul 6, 2016
I’m glad Nylander has been holding out. Not because he’s a Leafs player but because why should he be the one to take a paycut so they can pay the others on his team even more? Take a paycut for the richest ownership in the league, the whole idea is ridiculous.

What's gonna be ridiculous is if the Leafs cannot sign him or trade him today for an excellent asset.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Which of those RFAs would sign here? It's not a championship team.

That's another thing most forget. The player has to accept the offer. I'd laugh if MON offered Matthews 15M a season and he refused, only to sign for 12M a season with TOR.

Reactions: habergeon

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Toronto could be in a bad spot if someone like the NY Islanders were to target one of Marner/Matthews.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
When was the last time a team made an offer sheet to a player ?

Long, long time ago.... Call it collusion if you want.

Maybe it's just a unwritten agreement, one that held for a time in the past until some went astray and might've been re-stated, agreed by all of them.

They aren't colluding to anything. There's no secret deception here, nothing illegal. Maybe you should go read what collusion means.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad