Value of: Offer sheet?

Perkele 14

Sep 19, 2002
Terrebonne
Can someone explain why Monahan and Gaudreau are not receiving offer sheets from other team? Do I miss something?? Is it because the compensation would be too high?? I'm a Flames fan so obviously I don't want to see them go but these two are players I would try to get if I was other team GM...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Cap space is so important and valuable these days that it is not worth it for other teams to offer sheet them. You wouldn't get either of them for under 7,5 million long term, and if you went higher than that, the compensation would drastically reduce your team's ELC talent, which would be even more needed with an offer sheeted, overpaid player in the lineup. It's way too risky and rarely works out well, hence why we see so few of them.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
With the salary cap becoming more and more stagnant, Plus picks are becoming like gold now offer sheets are now becoming a thing of the past. GMs any more just can't afford and risk giving up their picks. Plus like i said with the cap not going up as much i doubt that most GM can afford to risk doing offer sheets.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I'd also add that there very well could have already been multiple offer sheets presented to various players. If the players don't sign them, they generally never become public knowledge.

Mad Brills*

I'd also add that there very well could have already been multiple offer sheets presented to various players. If the players don't sign them, they generally never become public knowledge.

true, with saad/hamilton possibly being given ones, but not signed.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Thanks! I was sure he was eligible...

It's tied to signing age how many years till you can get offer sheeted.

For most players coming out of the CHL they need 4 years before they are group 2 RFAd. Players like Monahan need for years. If Monahan was signed at the same time he did and did his full time in the CHL before joining Calgary it would still take 4 yrs. this also means the players become arbitration eligible

With players coming out of college and Europe it varies based on dinging sge in terms of when they are group 2, when they can file for arbitration, and the number of games they can playing in the NHL before they have to clear waivers.

Fir ex smoke with Vesey he will get a 2 yr ELC no matter what team signs him. Then afterthought ELC he is group 2 thus offer sheet snd arbitration eligible.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's tied to signing age how many years till you can get offer sheeted.

For most players coming out of the CHL they need 4 years before they are group 2 RFAd. Players like Monahan need for years. If Monahan was signed at the same time he did and did his full time in the CHL before joining Calgary it would still take 4 yrs. this also means the players become arbitration eligible

There's a good list here.

https://www.capfriendly.com/arbitration-calculator

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Can someone explain why Monahan and Gaudreau are not receiving offer sheets from other team? Do I miss something?? Is it because the compensation would be too high?? I'm a Flames fan so obviously I don't want to see them go but these two are players I would try to get if I was other team GM...

Because from 2008 to 2013 there were 5 offer sheets made and signed and all of them were matched. Since then, basically everyone has given up on them because they're only going to create bad blood. .....oh and the last guy to offer a player an offer sheet is working for the Flames.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Cap space is so important and valuable these days that it is not worth it for other teams to offer sheet them. You wouldn't get either of them for under 7,5 million long term, and if you went higher than that, the compensation would drastically reduce your team's ELC talent, which would be even more needed with an offer sheeted, overpaid player in the lineup. It's way too risky and rarely works out well, hence why we see so few of them.

This. Draft picks are valuable. You get a good player sure but a guy who is worth an offer sheet usually costs a boat load to get the other team to not match but that's the easy part. You also give up draft picks and that isn't a smart idea. You build contenders with good drafts. There are very few players who are worth giving up a lot of first round picks for. It usually doesn't work out so well.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007

This is wrong. Both players are Group II free an gents and can sign an SPC with any club.

(i) (A) Any Player who meets the qualifications set forth in the following chart and: (1) is not a Group 1 Player or a Group 4 Player, and (2) is not an Unrestricted Free Agent, shall be deemed to be a "Group 2 Player" and shall, at the expiration of his SPC, become a Restricted Free Agent. Any such Player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any such Player, subject to the provisions set forth in this Section. As used in this Section 10.2, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age" means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.
First SPC Signing Age 18 - 21
22 - 23 24 or older
Eligible for Group 2 Free Agency 3 years professional experience 2 years professional experience 1 year professional experience

For the purposes of this Section 10.2(a), a Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games in a given NHL Season, and a Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League Year.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
This is wrong. Both players are Group II free an gents and can sign an SPC with any club.

If you look at Gaudreau's stats in light of the CBA rules you quoted you'll find that Gaudreau does not meet the qualifications to be a Group 2 free agent. He only has 2 years of professional experience, not the required 3 years. Gaudreau did not earn a year of professional experience in 2013-14, even though he burned a year on his ELC.

He falls under CBA section 10.2(c) Players With Fewer Than Three Years of Professional Experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->