Proposal: Offer Sheet

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Jamie Benn would be a perfect fit long term and short term or even Ryan O'Reilly...Semin is signed for 1 season. That $7m could be used towards Benn. Benn would be a great fit with the Staal brothers in some combination

Benn-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-LaRose
Tlusty-Jokinen-Boychuk/Dalpe

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
Jamie Benn isn't worth not having a first round pick for the next half decade.

It wouldn't. Even if we signed Benn to over 7.8 million per season we would lose four first rounders. At 4.7 to 6.2 million per season (the range he'd be in IMO), we would lose a first, second, and third round pick.

That said, I'd rather sign Subban to an offer sheet than Benn.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I would say you need to go above the 1st,2nd,3rd compensation threshold for them to maybe not match. That would be a longterm contract @ ~7.5 mil per year. I would do it, but I don't think the franchise could pay for it longterm unless we were a perennial cup contender.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I would say you need to go above the 1st,2nd,3rd compensation threshold for them to maybe not match. That would be a longterm contract @ ~7.5 mil per year. I would do it, but I don't think the franchise could pay for it longterm unless we were a perennial cup contender.

Bingo. Benn might sign for less, but then Dallas would match and it's a moot point anyway. The only way you're getting Benn via offer sheet is to give him something Dallas won't match, and that's giving up nearly half a decade's worth of first rounders. Meanwhile, this is a 5th rounder who has been about as productive in the NHL as Jeff Skinner. That's not at all worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad