Offer sheet worry

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
was reading today about possible offer sheets towards RFAs might be a 'thing' this year knowing teams are up against the flatcap...
Hawks have 5 RFAs

Dominik Kubalik
Dylan Strome
Drake Caggiula
Skater Koekkoek
Malcom Subban

Current compensation for offer sheeting RFAs is as follows
$1,395,053 or below...none
$1,395,054 to $2,113,716...3rd
$2,113,717 to $4,227,437...2nd
$4,227,438 to $6,341,152...1st and 3rd
$6,341,153 to $8,454,871...1st, 2nd, and 3rd
$8,454,872 to $10,568,589...two 1sts, 2nd and 3rd
over $10,568,590...four 1sts

So worst case scenario we lose all five to offer sheets...
What do we get?
A 1st, 2nd and three 3rds? I figure...if someone offers Kubalik $5 million, Strome $4 million, both Caggiula and Koekkoek $1.5 million...that's $12 million combined, don't think Subban will get an offer sheet over $1.4 million

What you guys think?

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Most teams are in the same situation; right up against the cap with some good looking young RFAs.

Of course it can happen, but it can happen to most any other teams.

And a lot of teams that have the cap space to throw out offersheets are trying to work with a lower budget for the year because of little to no ticket sales for the immediate future.

It can happen to us, but unless there is significant rumors about a team trying to grab one of our guys like Kubalik or Strome, I wouldn't worry about it.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If anybody throws out an offer sheet over 6 million, then let them have the player.

It's well past time this team recognizes what it is and what it needs. If you get 3 picks (a 1st, 2nd and 3rd) or more from a team with 6mil+ in cap space for a new player (ie: a bad team), then take the picks and run.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
the only RFA that I would be concerned about losing to an offer sheet is Kubalik but I don't think it will happen

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Kubalik and Strome are only guys you care about

Koekkoek is guy who you can likely sign back without much issue nor is he guy teams will be "Hunting for via offer sheet"

Honestly I have no issue walking away from Caggiula at this point.. I was not impressed by his play and dont get why people around here are so high on him

Reactions: Pertti

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Kubalik and Strome are only guys you care about

Koekkoek is guy who you can likely sign back without much issue nor is he guy teams will be "Hunting for via offer sheet"

Honestly I have no issue walking away from Caggiula at this point.. I was not impressed by his play and dont get why people around here are so high on him

agreed on Caggiula, I mean he is a guy that plays with some more intensity than most but really he does not show much else to be honest. In reality he really is nothing more than a low end 3rd liner or high end 4th liner which in and of itself would not be much of a loss.

I really would not be terribly concerned if Strome was offer sheeted...

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Think they get Kubalik on a 2-3 year deal.
Strome im 50/50 on. Don’t want to just move on from him for no reason, but also wouldn’t mind a trade.
Koekkoek one year deal to be a 7th dman and a solid bottom pair wouldn’t bother me.
Like caggs but whatever.
Subban bye bye.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Koek I think will get 2 year deal

His play earned him regular role on 3rd pairing and his versatility means he can play both LD/RD so in event of injury he is nice to have around

I expect Mitchell to be Hog until he shows he is ready

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I worry Kubalik(and his agent) might ask for the moon, hoping I'm wrong but he's new to the game...

Oh and a side note, doesn't Gurianov in Dallas make you think of Kubalik?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
If anybody throws out an offer sheet over 6 million, then let them have the player.

It's well past time this team recognizes what it is and what it needs. If you get 3 picks (a 1st, 2nd and 3rd) or more from a team with 6mil+ in cap space for a new player (ie: a bad team), then take the picks and run.

This: The only guy I'm really concerned about re-singing is Koob...and even then I would take the picks and run.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
This is a non-issue for the hawks. Kubalik is the only really valuable player of the bunch. I think anything up to $5m the hawks match. Anything more than that and the Hawks would be compensated well if they decide to let him go.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Offer sheets are few and far between, and there are a load of financial and cap worries especially this offseason. More so than almost any other year, I would be surprised if there were many serious offer sheets tossed around this offseason.

We'll see.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Back in 2010 San Jose offered sheeted Hjalmarsson(which Chicago matched) intimately costing the already cash strapped Hawks Andrew Ladd, Antti Niemi and Marty Reasoner(remember him) when the Hawks had already jettisoned Byfuglien, Eager, Sopel, Versteeg and Fraser...the compensation would have been a 2011 1st and 3rd...
Who did SJ draft with those picks you ask?

Zach Phillips,c and Justin Sefton,d...yuck!

Considering how the Hawks had two 1sts already in that draft(McNeill and Danault) adding a third would have been wild, and to think the Hawks also picked Clendening, Saad, Shaw and Dahlbeck...I'm sure Bowman would have selected better...who were players taken after Phillips and Sefton?

How about Richard Rakell and Johnny Gaudreau!!!

Still I'm glad Bowman made the right choice and matched...2013 2014 2015 stretch was awesome!

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Couldn't care less about any of them except Kubalik. Also, if Seabs ain't playing and the Hawks have that sorted out, they have 18.9mil in space.

Should be thinking about improving the roster, not hanging on to useless plugs like Koekkoek.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
So what do you all think the Hawks will offer Kubalik?

Depends on term. 3 years: ~$4M per, 2 years: ~$3.3M per. These are guesses, lol. I'm sure the Hawks would really, really like a 3 year deal, but are the dollars there? (if they are, I'd bump the offer to $4.5M). Kubalik's gonna take the shorter term deal, the way I've framed it. No brainer.

If anything, this makes the case stronger for moving Saad this offseason.

One final thought: Kubalik > Cat. If push comes to shove...

Reactions: GumbyCan2

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Offer sheets are few and far between, and there are a load of financial and cap worries especially this offseason. More so than almost any other year, I would be surprised if there were many serious offer sheets tossed around this offseason.

We'll see.
Adding onto this...the teams have to have the picks required to make the offer sheet. I think there are a couple of teams that don't have the required ones that would entertain a offer sheet.

I will say this: Koob might be one guy targeted. They are rare but I could see the possibility of a bottom-feeder team with more cash than common sense with the picks making a $5M+ offer to Koob. A well-run franchise might give it a miss especially since he's got only 1 year in the league.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Adding onto this...the teams have to have the picks required to make the offer sheet. I think there are a couple of teams that don't have the required ones that would entertain a offer sheet.

I will say this: Koob might be one guy targeted. They are rare but I could see the possibility of a bottom-feeder team with more cash than common sense with the picks making a $5M+ offer to Koob. A well-run franchise might give it a miss especially since he's got only 1 year in the league.

Watch out for Toronto -"Center of the universe" so they think- will find a way (probably illegal for any other team) to "circumvent" the $$'s to offer Koob over $5 mil whereby Chi'Hawks cannot match! Hope it doesn't happen and we can sign him.
Would piss me off but hope T.O. can't go this route!
STAN should figure out how Change & T.O. keep renewing all these high paid player's while technically being over the cap limit??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->