Proposal: Offer Sheet Sergachev

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
I get it, but I was really responding to his characterization of Zboril/Vaak being in
his ballpark.

Also, I wouldn't spend $7M on him. I would rather
spend $8M on Cirelli. That would put TB in a bind.
8M for Cirelli? Tampa laughs at this.

Imagine having Cirelli in your line up making more than Pasta, Bergy and Marchand.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Sergachev is not a #1 D at this point. He is a good player and will probably get better, but he isn't there yet. Maybe Jakub Zboril is that guy. We have yet to see what he can really do, and D-men usually take more time to develop. Then there is Vaak. Neither is a Sergachev at this point and maybe neither will be, but the cupboard isn't bare. There is Jack Ahcan now in the pipeline, and also Cooper Zech who everyone seems to have forgotten about. I'd rather see what the team has in the house before giving away picks and big money to a guy like Sergachev- as far as I know, no one is calling him the next Bourque or Orr.

Zech isn't the only forgotten man.

Dustyn McFaul is the most forgotten man. And although he is further away, I won't let you forget.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Cirelli is nowhere near an $8 million dollar player. TB would take to picks and laugh all the way to the 2021 (and beyond) drafts.

Like the player, but that's a huge reach.

In a vacuum I agree with you but this is a unique circumstance where you hurt your opponent by
signing away a very good (by no means great)
player.

I believe he was 4th in Selke voting. So he already has
an excellent defensive game. He could if given say Hall
as wing put up 55 points. He was pacing for 50 this year.

If TB matches it will force them to dump someone
like McDonagh along with Killorn or Johnson which will hurt their depth. If Atlantic division opponents have some nerve they could cause major damage to TB
cap with Sergachev and Cirelli.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Dustyn McFaul is the most forgotten man. And although he is further away, I won't let you forget.

I did indeed forget him because he's not in Providence, but based on your reports of him, I am looking forward to see what happens with him.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
8M for Cirelli? Tampa laughs at this.

Imagine having Cirelli in your line up making more than Pasta, Bergy and Marchand.

tenor.gif

You realize TB has major cap issues? If Boston goes hard after Cirelli and someone else goes for Sergachev it
would weaken TB.

In a vacuum Cirelli is a 6.5M player. He finished
4th in Selke voting and paced for 50 points
at 23 years old.

Remember David Backes? Boston AAV for him was $6M
last year. Cirelli would be a bargain compared to that.
Further by year 4 that $8M will be more like $7M
to the cap.

Think Marchand was pissed Backes was only making
125K more than Marchand?

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
You realize TB has major cap issues? If Boston goes hard after Cirelli and someone else goes for Sergachev it
would weaken TB.

at 23 years old.

to the cap.

125K more than Backes?
Backes was only making $125k more than Backes? If I was Backes, I’d be f***in Backesed.

Reactions: Richard Lather

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
He can move pretty well- do you see him filling out at all over the next couple of years? He'd be a pretty good-sized guy to have those wheels . . .

I do. If there is NCAA hockey next season, I expect McFaul to be a big minute eating d-man who will play in any situation for Clarkson. Many of nights in the OJHL he skated 30+ minutes, so it's in him.

Don't know if you've ever read this, but I will link it again

Dustyn McFaul – scoutingpost

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I do. If there is NCAA hockey next season, I expect McFaul to be a big minute eating d-man who will play in any situation for Clarkson. Many of nights in the OJHL he skated 30+ minutes, so it's in him.

Don't know if you've ever read this, but I will link it again

Dustyn McFaul – scoutingpost

Thanks- I remember your post about him after he was drafted, but missed the interview with Josh Hauge about this past season.

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
would weaken TB.

at 23 years old.

to the cap.

125K more than Backes?

Lightning's cap issues are none of my concern. I'd want the GM to find the best possible player if he's paying them 8M.
Votes do nothing for me either.

Backes didn't work out and I never said that any of those players were pissed or would be pissed.
Overall from a fan's perspective I'd rather have the best possible player for 8M rather than them going around overpaying to try and screw other teams over.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Overall from a fan's perspective I'd rather have the best possible player for 8M rather than them going around overpaying to try and screw other teams over.

Of course. For what it's worth, I don't think the Bruins (or any NHL team, really) is going to seriously overpay a player just to screw with another team. I am not saying it has never happened, but it's a stupid way to do business when your goal is to put together the most competitive squad you can.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Of course. For what it's worth, I don't think the Bruins (or any NHL team, really) is going to seriously overpay a player just to screw with another team. I
Lightning's cap issues are none of my concern. I'd want the GM to find the best possible player if he's paying them 8M.
Votes do nothing for me either.

Backes didn't work out and I never said that any of those players were pissed or would be pissed.

am not saying it has never happened, but it's a stupid way to do business when your goal is to put together the most competitive squad you can.

That's a fair argument on paying players. I will say by
the time you reach the mid-point of Cirelli's contract
IMO he'll be overpayed in a vacuum by less than $1M.
Boston's reality is they play in the same division as
TB, they absolutely have to measure themselves
against TB and react accordingly.

Cirelli is a very good defensive center who was certainly
IMO worst case a top 10 defensive forward.

We'll agree to disagree.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That's a fair argument on paying players. I will say by
the time you reach the mid-point of Cirelli's contract
IMO he'll be overpayed in a vacuum by less than $1M.
Boston's reality is they play in the same division as
TB, they absolutely have to measure themselves
against TB and react accordingly.

Cirelli is a very good defensive center who was certainly
IMO worst case a top 10 defensive forward.

We'll agree to disagree.

I am not really commenting one way or the other on Cirelli's worth- if he gets 8 mil per power to him. He isn't worth that now. I have a much bigger problem with a proposed business model that signs players (and overpays them because an offer sheet is almost always an overpay) just to screw with another team's cap. If you really want the player and feel he is worth the money in an offer sheet, that is one thing. To do it just to try and hose the other guy is another.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I am not really commenting one way or the other on Cirelli's worth- if he gets 8 mil per power to him. He isn't worth that now. I have a much bigger problem with a proposed business model that signs players (and overpays them because an offer sheet is almost always an overpay) just to screw with another team's cap. If you really want the player and feel he is worth the money in an offer sheet, that is one thing. To do it just to try and hose the other guy is another.

If Boston played in another Conference I would
100% aree with you. However, they each have to go thru
each other in the PO, so poaching a good player from
a rival while overpaying shorterm may actually be worth
it competitively.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Not a big fan of Sergachev actually.
Don't want him AND lose the picks.

But TB most likely matches, which puts the thumbscrews to them.
But I bet they would do the same back to Boston for Studnicka the first chance they got.

Let's not start any vendetta's here carelessly.

Well if Boston isn't going after AP then how about poaching TB RD by signing Cernak and Shattenkirk.
To really make it work you have to offer sheet
Cernak probably 5-5.5M for 5 years to make TB blink and then for your UFA you sign Shattenkirk at$2.9M for three years.

Then go and sign Borowiecki.

Thats a whole lot of nasty on your back end and someone who can replace some
of Krug's PP ability.

Last edited:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Sergachev isn't worth the offer sheet when the Bruins are overloaded with defense prospects and have an aging center core that lacks a strong two way center to replace Bergeron. The Bruins should be going for broke to get Cirelli. He is young, already plays at an elite level and is is available to pry away from the Lightning. That is the player that I would try and get.

35moog35

Sep 6, 2008
Something to keep in mind here is the difference in income tax between Mass and Fla. You’d have to overpay because you’re dealing in free agency to begin with and because you’re payment relative to TBs isn’t equal based on 41+ home games in the state of Florida.
That said I’d love to poach from TB I just don’t see it as feasible.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Dom,

You wrote this in the article about him;

At 6’2”, McFaul has good size, but will need to put in some work to add much needed bulk to his frame, something that he is aware of. It can only help him in the defensive zone when it comes to battling in those hard areas.

Any progress in the bulking up?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom,

You wrote this in the article about him;

At 6’2”, McFaul has good size, but will need to put in some work to add much needed bulk to his frame, something that he is aware of. It can only help him in the defensive zone when it comes to battling in those hard areas.

Any progress in the bulking up?

I believe when I wrote that his playing weight was 180. Last season he was at 190+

Reactions: NDiesel and sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad