Proposal: Offer Sheet Sergachev

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Has to be your own first round pick, not one acquired from another team.

And as @BrainOfJ has already said so eloquently, the 2020 draft will have already taken place so it would be 2021 picks.

Ah, thought he could acquire one before the draft and use it to offersheet.

I stand corrected.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't see any other scenario for how we get a longterm legit #1 LD for McAvoy.

If they match they have to sell off 2 good forwards to get under the cap.

Win-win.

Reactions: Ivo and Ursus8

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't see any other scenario for how we get a longterm legit #1 LD for McAvoy.

If they match they have to sell off 2 good forwards to get under the cap.

Win-win.

Sergachev is not a #1 D at this point. He is a good player and will probably get better, but he isn't there yet. Maybe Jakub Zboril is that guy. We have yet to see what he can really do, and D-men usually take more time to develop. Then there is Vaak. Neither is a Sergachev at this point and maybe neither will be, but the cupboard isn't bare. There is Jack Ahcan now in the pipeline, and also Cooper Zech who everyone seems to have forgotten about. I'd rather see what the team has in the house before giving away picks and big money to a guy like Sergachev- as far as I know, no one is calling him the next Bourque or Orr.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Not to belabor the point, but to get a clearer understanding of the rules, if the offer sheet occurs after the draft (this year Oct 6,7) the next draft would be after the 2021 season. All Bruins picks would be available.

The comp for signing 2020 RFA's are 2021 Draft Pics.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Sergachev is not a #1 D at this point. He is a good player and will probably get better, but he isn't there yet. Maybe Jakub Zboril is that guy. We have yet to see what he can really do, and D-men usually take more time to develop. Then there is Vaak. Neither is a Sergachev at this point and maybe neither will be, but the cupboard isn't bare. There is Jack Ahcan now in the pipeline, and also Cooper Zech who everyone seems to have forgotten about. I'd rather see what the team has in the house before giving away picks and big money to a guy like Sergachev- as far as I know, no one is calling him the next Bourque or Orr.

Sergachev is lots better than Zboril and is a legit
weapon on the PP. Comparing Zboril or Vaak
to him is ridiculous. Zboril has a better chance of
busting than comparing to Sergachev.

Boston needs a quality D man and going after
Sergachev helps upgrade Boston and hurts
TB. You would need to offer just over $8M
to make TB blink though.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

to make TB blink though.

I think you missed his point. He is saying Sergachev is better than what we have.
The point he is trying to make is: Is Sergachev THAT much better than what we have that it costs us a chunk of cap and 2-3 draft picks.

I agree with Dr. Hook in that I do not think he is.

Reactions: Gordoff

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

to make TB blink though.

I doubt its that much they still need to reup Cernak (and Cirelli.)

Anything over 7 and they might need to move McDonaugh and why would he help them and agree to go somewhere he doesn't want to.

And you'd be playing him with another high end D man.

It also would save us from having to give Gryzlyk a ton. Let him go to Seattle when his price tag is going to be north of 5 mil its not like hes going to grow when his salary goes up.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think you have to come back to first principles. Spending $6+ mil p.a. on a defender leaves not much left in the tank to improve our forward middle 6 and bring in some proper secondary scoring. Is a guy like Sergachev, who IMO is a good player but not yet an elite one, going to make our D that much better than we can continue to rely on a less potent offense?

I doubt it. So I think it comes back to what direction the Bruins are headed in - if they're still in Cup-push mode, then I don't think this move would be sensible, other than to mess with Tampa a bit. But if we're rebuilding, then Sergachev could definitely be a piece that's worth looking at as a solid long-term guy for your top 4 D. Just depends where this team is headed.

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I think you missed his point. He is saying Sergachev is better than what we have.
The point he is trying to make is: Is Sergachev THAT much better than what we have that it costs us a chunk of cap and 2-3 draft picks.

I agree with Dr. Hook in that I do not think he is.

I get it, but I was really responding to his characterization of Zboril/Vaak being in
his ballpark.

Also, I wouldn't spend $7M on him. I would rather
spend $8M on Cirelli. That would put TB in a bind.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I get it, but I was really responding to his characterization of Zboril/Vaak being in
his ballpark.

Also, I wouldn't spend $7M on him. I would rather
spend $8M on Cirelli. That would put TB in a bind.
Cirelli is nowhere near an $8 million dollar player. TB would take to picks and laugh all the way to the 2021 (and beyond) drafts.

Like the player, but that's a huge reach.

Ursus8

May 14, 2009
I think you have to come back to first principles. Spending $6+ mil p.a. on a defender leaves not much left in the tank to improve our forward middle 6 and bring in some proper secondary scoring. Is a guy like Sergachev, who IMO is a good player but not yet an elite one, going to make our D that much better than we can continue to rely on a less potent offense?

I doubt it. So I think it comes back to what direction the Bruins are headed in - if they're still in Cup-push mode, then I don't think this move would be sensible, other than to mess with Tampa a bit. But if we're rebuilding, then Sergachev could definitely be a piece that's worth looking at as a solid long-term guy for your top 4 D. Just depends where this team is headed.

I mean if you think about it your not really losing anything to get sergachev other than end rd draft picks for 1 yr that take time to develop. He'll be cheaper than Krug and granted is not as good offensively but is def better defensively. You should still have plenty of cap space left to try to upgrade offense. With krugs cap space you can move john Moore for a 7th rd pick who cares and theres the cap space for sergachev or krug for that matter.

I proposed this for short term and long term. Short term yeah your losing picks and prospects but your upgrading the team taking nothing away from the roster to take a shot at the cup. Long term he could be our solution on the left side. Obv thats projection but he shows promise. Im sure B's office can evaluate him much better than we can especially as to how high his projection is so who knows if this is even on the table for them.

I dunno what rumors are out there or what players are available but id take this over OEL all day.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
So as we all know.....Sweeney doesn't have the best draft history. To solve our future Left D problem i propose we go after sergachev who is a proven commodity instead of drafting 4th line centers at the end of the first rd every year. He showed huge improvement this yr and he looks like he could be our solution long term. He's got size and can move and will throw the body around. Tampa is hard pressed against the cap and even if they match they could lose cirelli + and weaken their team. Compensation rules are as follows:

$1,395,053 or below: No compensation required
$1,395,054 to $2,113,716: Third-round pick
$2,113,717 to $4,227,437: Second-round pick
$4,227,438 to $6,341,152: First-round pick plus a third-round pick
$6,341,153 to $8,454,871: First, second, and third-round picks
$8,454,872 to $10,568,589: Two first-round picks plus second and third-round picks
$10,568,590 and over: Four first-round picks

We offer Sergachev 6.5 x 5 years.

Or maybe go 7 x 5 to screw them a little more if they choose to match.

what do we think? Is this to much? Is Sergachev not as good as I think?

No idea if they'd actually sign them, but teams should absolutely offer sheet both Sergachev and Cirelli. I don't think it makes sense to do it in your range though. Stick to the 1st & 3rd range, so looking at $6M (assume fewer years to convince them to sign). Honestly, if I were a team, I'd build a strategy out of trying to screw Tampa.

Offer sheet either Sergachev or Cirelli as soon as free agency opens, and then assume Tampa matches. Then you offer sheet the other, and let's assume Tampa matches that as well. They probably can't because they'd be well over the cap at that point with 5 roster spots left to fill, but let's just assume they have to. The idea would be that by quickly forcing them to sign those guys, they're even more desperate to trade someone and suddenly not only can you get their other guys in a trade for cheap, but Tampa might have to pay you to take them, especially knowing how few teams can take on salary this year.

You either end up with one of Sergachev or Cirelli for just a 1st & 3rd or you get a steal of a deal on one of their other players.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Cirelli is nowhere near an $8 million dollar player. TB would take to picks and laugh all the way to the 2021 (and beyond) drafts.

Like the player, but that's a huge reach.
Of course it's too much but I think his point still stands that Cirelli would be more of what the Bruins need and it would hurt TB. I don't know what the dollar amount would be but I'm sure they would have an idea of his worth. Would make more sense to offer sheet him than Sergachev because he fills more of an immediate need.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I mean if you think about it your not really losing anything to get sergachev other than end rd draft picks for 1 yr that take time to develop. He'll be cheaper than Krug and granted is not as good offensively but is def better defensively. You should still have plenty of cap space left to try to upgrade offense. With krugs cap space you can move john Moore for a 7th rd pick who cares and theres the cap space for sergachev or krug for that matter.

I proposed this for short term and long term. Short term yeah your losing picks and prospects but your upgrading the team taking nothing away from the roster to take a shot at the cup. Long term he could be our solution on the left side. Obv thats projection but he shows promise. Im sure B's office can evaluate him much better than we can especially as to how high his projection is so who knows if this is even on the table for them.

I dunno what rumors are out there or what players are available but id take this over OEL all day.

Let's consider the rough math. There's currently a bit over $14 mil on the table. 6.5 for Sergachev + probably at least 5.5 to re-sign DeBrusk and Grzelyck. Another 1 for Chara or whichever prospect steps up. That's 13, shift Moore and you get 2.75 back. That only leaves around $4 mil max. Moving one or more of Kase, Bjork or Ritchie puts some more in the pot, so does shifting DeBrusk if they decide to go that way. There's a little bit of shuffling probably to be done around the bottom 6, but you probably end up spending about the same whoever gets those spots plus the 13th and 14th forwards. So however you work it, we're probably looking at somewhere around $8 mil at the absolute best for the Bs to upgrade their middle 6 forward stocks.

Is that enough? If they're clever and drive some sharp deals, it just might be, but it'll be tight.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Would be worth doing especially, if Tampa matches. If it’s overpayment and forces them to shed a good player or two to make the cap work, that’s exactly what the Bruins need to have a chance to beat them next year.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad