Proposal: Offer Sheet Sergachev

Ursus8

May 14, 2009
So as we all know.....Sweeney doesn't have the best draft history. To solve our future Left D problem i propose we go after sergachev who is a proven commodity instead of drafting 4th line centers at the end of the first rd every year. He showed huge improvement this yr and he looks like he could be our solution long term. He's got size and can move and will throw the body around. Tampa is hard pressed against the cap and even if they match they could lose cirelli + and weaken their team. Compensation rules are as follows:

$1,395,053 or below: No compensation required
$1,395,054 to $2,113,716: Third-round pick
$2,113,717 to $4,227,437: Second-round pick
$4,227,438 to $6,341,152: First-round pick plus a third-round pick
$6,341,153 to $8,454,871: First, second, and third-round picks
$8,454,872 to $10,568,589: Two first-round picks plus second and third-round picks
$10,568,590 and over: Four first-round picks

We offer Sergachev 6.5 x 5 years.

Or maybe go 7 x 5 to screw them a little more if they choose to match.

what do we think? Is this to much? Is Sergachev not as good as I think?

Last edited:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
With so much uncertainty facing both the league and the B's, I wouldn't risk the picks, especially to the main division rival.

Sergachev is excellent, though.

Reactions: Kalus

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
I love it and have been thinking about this for a while. Draft picks hurt to lose. But I will take the guaranteed commodity EVERY DAY

Reactions: Gordoff

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
So as we all know.....Sweeney doesn't have the best draft history. To solve our future Left D problem i propose we go after sergachev who is a proven commodity instead of drafting 4th line centers at the end of the first rd every year. He showed huge improvement this yr and he looks like he could be our solution long term. He's got size and can move and will throw the body around. Tampa is hard pressed against the cap and even if they match they could lose cirelli + and weaken their team. Compensation rules are as follows:

$8,454,872 to $10,568,589: Two first-round picks plus second and third-round picks

Rather sign a UFA like Brodie, or even AP then trade Carlo for either a top young LD or young top 6 Forward.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Not a big fan of Sergachev actually.
Don't want him AND lose the picks.

But TB most likely matches, which puts the thumbscrews to them.
But I bet they would do the same back to Boston for Studnicka the first chance they got.

Let's not start any vendetta's here carelessly.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I wouldn’t do this, not for him anyway.

I will say I don’t buy the whole reasoning behind well they will do it back to (insert team) later on. Who cares if they do? It’s not like a team like Tampa is flush with extra cash to do any more than bitch in the news about it.

I’m more apt to believe gms just don’t want to burn any bridges in the future. Which is odd because some teams never trade with each other in the first place. It’s like calling your ex girlfriend who hates your guts to ask her opinion about a new shirt you bought.

member 96824

But I bet they would do the same back to Boston for Studnicka the first chance they got.

I can’t tell you how fast I would accept a Sergachev for Studnicka trade because that speed doesn’t exist on the paradigm of time.

Most offer sheet retaliations don’t happen anyway, but the ones that do are completely dumb. A. You’ve got a rival GM abandoning their plan to seek retribution against you vs. icing the best team they can (big win) and B. Throughout history, the trade offs would have been horrid. David Backes for Steve Bernier in 2008? Lololol.

No shame in an offer sheet, it’s an arrow in the quiver and Don’s job is to build the best team possible

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if Sergachev signs an offer sheet with another team.

I'd be really surprised if the Bruins were that team. Lots of teams out there in much better shape to make that happen than Boston.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Thing about an offer sheet is that there is no point in making one that is going to be matched. Sergachev at 6.5 or even 7 is going to be matched.

Are you really hurting Tampa by forcing them to pay Sergachev 1 or 2 million more than they would have liked at this time or are you helping them by allowing them to sign Sergachev at 7M for a longer term than they would have at this time. I don't think your really doing anything significant.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
That’s an important point. Not sure though whether the signing team must surrender the pick(s) in the immediate draft or whether in can be postponed a year.
I do believe it's immediate.
Otherwise, teams can keep pushing out picks indefinitely. Less chance of loopholes when they require you to have the picks already at time of offersheet.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
That’s an important point. Not sure though whether the signing team must surrender the pick(s) in the immediate draft or whether in can be postponed a year.

It's the following year . I mean think of it logically, the draft comes before so you have already used this years picks.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I do believe it's immediate.
Otherwise, teams can keep pushing out picks indefinitely. Less chance of loopholes when they require you to have the picks already at time of offersheet.
That’s what I thought. So that puts to rest any idea Sweeney can offer sheet any quality RFAs this year. Unless, of course it’s a second round pick ($4,227,000).

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

TBay is not letting this guy go, they will match any offer and trade other players to make it work for the cap.
Also, we have no first round pick this year, rules state when giving up compensation, must be the teams picks, so this is not happening for the B's.
If we are focussing on RFA's a more realistic approach is to go after someone like Josh Anderson. I would roll the dice and give up a second round pick for him. VCR is in cap trouble, they have two nice young players in Virtanen and Stecher, could be acquired for second round pick money. VCR has around 14 million to spend with 10 pending RFA's and UFA's next year and Pettersson is due for a huge pay raise after next season.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
TBay is not letting this guy go, they will match any offer and trade other players to make it work for the cap.
Also, we have no first round pick this year, rules state when giving up compensation, must be the teams picks, so this is not happening for the B's.
If we are focussing on RFA's a more realistic approach is to go after someone like Josh Anderson. I would roll the dice and give up a second round pick for him. VCR is in cap trouble, they have two nice young players in Virtanen and Stecher, could be acquired for second round pick money. VCR has around 14 million to spend with 10 pending RFA's and UFA's next year and Pettersson is due for a huge pay raise after next season.
Not to belabor the point, but to get a clearer understanding of the rules, if the offer sheet occurs after the draft (this year Oct 6,7) the next draft would be after the 2021 season. All Bruins picks would be available.

Reactions: Ivo and Gordoff

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
While it’s certainly an option, and a bold one at that, the player being signed still has to be willing to sign with another team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So an offer sheet probably means overpay, then. I like Sergachev well enough (but it is really hard to get that image of the toilet seat on his chest out of my mind) but is he really the kind of player you offer sheet? He seems to be heading in the right direction for sure, but is he there where it is worth the cost in terms of picks and what you would have to offer to beat the Lightning?

Reactions: BMC and bbfan419

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
So an offer sheet probably means overpay, then. I like Sergachev well enough (but it is really hard to get that image of the toilet seat on his chest out of my mind) but is he really the kind of player you offer sheet? He seems to be heading in the right direction for sure, but is he there where it is worth the cost in terms of picks and what you would have to offer to beat the Lightning?

I like Segachev too but I ask those same questions. He is and will be a really good player but he's not nor likely will be elite IMO.

Reactions: bbfan419

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
giphy.gif

I think we should put away the offer sheet and just give him a different kind of sheet.
2 ply him

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad