Offer sheet Marner Kapenen Johnsson

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
This would also require these players to sign them and risk going from a high calibre club and organization to one of the worst franchises in the league.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
You have to have own those picks to give out an offer sheet, hence you can’t hand out three big offer sheets.
I thought any team can offer any other teams player when they become a rfa and the players team has to at least match the offer or will recieve compensation if they don't match. So why not offer Marner which Toronto matches, then offer Kapenen which Toronto matches, then offer Johnsson which Toronto will have no more cap room left.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
I don't mean to barge in here, but I saw the thread title from the main page...

What is with some people's obsession with Leafs free agents?

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
I don't mean to barge in here, but I saw the thread title from the main page...

What is with some people's obsession with Leafs free agents?
You probably won't be able to sign all three stud rfas due to cap space and Vancouver needs offense.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I thought any team can offer any other teams player when they become a rfa and the players team has to at least match the offer or will recieve compensation if they don't match. So why not offer Marner which Toronto matches, then offer Kapenen which Toronto matches, then offer Johnsson which Toronto will have no more cap room left.
I think there is a time period where Toronto gets to "mull the offer sheet". I forgot how long? 7 days? a month?

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
Only way Marner is coming here is 4 firsts going the other way. I can't see that happening.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The Leafs won't be able to match all three offers and we could probably get Kapenen or Johnsson.

I used to believe in the idea of offer sheets but a few things have soured me on them:

1) They rarely work.

2) If they do work for a high profile player, you surrender too many picks.

3) Strained relations: Not only do you strain relations with said team of said player, but it hurts your rep around the league as well. In many ways, the NHL operates like an old boys club. Probably just better to not rock the boat.

Instead of making predatory offer sheets, it’s better to talk to the GM of said team beforehand and try and work out a deal.

In the case of Marner and the Leafs (or whichever player from there), Id just talk to Dubas beforehand. Benning and Dubas already have very good relations with one another. See if a deal can be worked out that makes sense for both teams.

If the Canucks get extremely lucky in the lottery and finish 1st or 2nd, then all bets should be off.......and we should make the pick. If we #3 however, I would try and see what offering the #3 overall + ???? would get us Marner.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
No chance I am giving up a bundle of picks for players that are not proven. We would have to overpay them for the Leafs probably not to match.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
besides the ridiculousness of this idea, it would be impossible to sign all 3 of them to simultaneous offer sheets due to the draft pick compensation rules.

People need to let go of the Leafs obsession, they're a good young team, get over it.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
besides the ridiculousness of this idea, it would be impossible to sign all 3 of them to simultaneous offer sheets due to the draft pick compensation rules.

People need to let go of the Leafs obsession, they're a good young team, get over it.
I never said simultaneous. Offer sheet Marner, then Toronto has to match in 7 days which they will. Then offer Kapenen with whats left of their cap which won't be more than 4 million, which they will. Now they have no cap space and offer Johnsson 4 million a year or less and Toronto gets a 2nd round draft pick as compensation. Its not about obsession about Leafs, its about taking advantage of another teams cap situation. Its just coincidental that its the Leafs.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I never said simultaneous. Offer sheet Marner, then Toronto has to match in 7 days which they will. Then offer Kapenen with whats left of their cap which won't be more than 4 million, which they will. Now they have no cap space and offer Johnsson 4 million a year or less and Toronto gets a 2nd round draft pick as compensation. Its not about obsession about Leafs, its about taking advantage of another teams cap situation. Its just coincidental that its the Leafs.

Why wouldn’t another GM just swoop in on the 3rd RFA after the 2nd offer sheet is made? Now Benning pisses off the GM’s who believe in the “code”, gets no one from TO, and is at increased risk of being a target of a future offer sheet himself.

In a league where even signing one offer sheet is considered ballsy, there’s virtually no chance of this happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->