Offensive Potential in 04 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronm_88

May 17, 2004
Who would you guys rate as the top 10 or 15 prospects from the draft based only on offensive potential...I'm just curious to see how guys like Olesz and Stafford will rate..

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
If we're basing this strictly on pure offensive upside of all players in the draft, I'd probably rank it as such...

1) Ovechkin
2) Malkin
3) Schremp
4) Radulov
5) Parshin

I add Parshin because the talent is there for him to dominate offensively. He's just way too small. But if he breaks through and survives the NHL in his first few years, he's got the skill to produce like a Marty St. Louis. He's hardly a safe pick, but the offensive potential there is huge.

Zettler

Jun 29, 2004
Quebec City
1-Ovechkin
2-Malkin
3-Schremp
4-Radulov
5-Picard
6-Lisin
7-Olesz
8-Ladd
9-Tukkonen
10-Sindel
11-Volochenko
12-Gracik
13-Alexandrov
14-Parshin
15-Kaspar

47-Stafford

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Evgeni Malkin
3. Robbie Schremp
4. Alexander Radulov
5. Lauri Tukonen
6. Wojtek Wolski
7. Andrew Ladd
8. Alexandre Picard
9. Roman Voloshenko
10. Jakub Sindel
11. Lukas Kaspar
12. Enver Lisin
13. Denis Parshin
14. Lauri Korpikoski
15. Rostislav Olesz

Scooter2

Feb 2, 2004
I would add Bolland to that list based that he did score more goals than Shremp & Wolski last season and is a sniper.

1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Evgeni Malkin
3. Alexander Radulov
4. Lauri Tukonen
5. Dave Bolland
6. Robbie Schremp
7. Wojtek Wolski
8. Andrew Ladd
9. Alexandre Picard
10. Roman Voloshenko
11. Jakub Sindel
12. Lukas Kaspar
13. Enver Lisin
14. Denis Parshin
15. Lauri Korpikoski
16. Rostislav Olesz

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Evgeni Malkin
3. Alexander Radulov
4. Jakub Sindel
5. Robbie Shremp
6. Dave Bolland
7. Lauri Tukonen
8. Lukas Kaspar
9. Denis Parshins
10. Andrew Ladd
11. Alexandre Picard
12. Wojtek Wolski

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
sharkyz15 said:
1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Evgeni Malkin
3. Alexander Radulov
4. Jakub Sindel
5. Robbie Shremp
6. Dave Bolland
7. Lauri Tukonen
8. Lukas Kaspar
9. Denis Parshins
10. Andrew Ladd
11. Alexandre Picard
12. Wojtek Wolski

Having seen Bolland, Picard and Wolski many, many times, I'd be very, very interested to see your reasoning behind having Bolland ahead of both Picard and Wolski. The latter especially is without a doubt at least in my mind the more offensively gifted.

CH Wizard

1 AO
2 Malkin
3 Shremp
4 Radulov
5 Tukonen
6 Olesz
7 Ladd
8 Wolski
9 Picard
10 Kaspar

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
Zettler said:
1-Ovechkin
2-Malkin
3-Schremp
4-Radulov
5-Picard
6-Lisin
7-Olesz
8-Ladd
9-Tukkonen
10-Sindel
11-Volochenko
12-Gracik
13-Alexandrov
14-Parshin
15-Kaspar

47-Stafford

What have you seen have of Alexandrov (Blues 3rd rounder) that causes you too rank him that high?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm curious as to why Lauri Tukonen is getting ranked as high as he is on the offensive ability. The reason he fell outside the Top 5 was because his offensive ability was in question. What makes him more offensive than say, guys like Schremp, Ladd, Radulov, and Wolski?

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Hossa said:
Having seen Bolland, Picard and Wolski many, many times, I'd be very, very interested to see your reasoning behind having Bolland ahead of both Picard and Wolski. The latter especially is without a doubt at least in my mind the more offensively gifted.

Picard seems to be kind of the Cheechoo mold
Great skills but average skaters
If Picard has the same will as Cheechoo he would be higher
time will tell

If you put a gun to my head and asked me who the biggest bust in this draft will be i would say Wolski

He seems very much like the Sharks Miro Zalesak. Great offensive talent but very weak on the puck and not exactly your prototipical sniper speed

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
I'm curious as to why Lauri Tukonen is getting ranked as high as he is on the offensive ability. The reason he fell outside the Top 5 was because his offensive ability was in question. What makes him more offensive than say, guys like Schremp, Ladd, Radulov, and Wolski?

He desirves to ranked in the top 7-8

Like milan Michalek last year, their offensive potential has been tagged as "limited" BS

Milan Michalekat 18 (now 19) is arguably the most talented player to ever put on a Sharks Jersey and was probably the most consistant scorer when he played (training camp, pre-seasone, reg, ahl)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
sharkyz15 said:
He desirves to ranked in the top 7-8

Like milan Michalek last year, their offensive potential has been tagged as "limited" BS

Milan Michalekat 18 (now 19) is arguably the most talented player to ever put on a Sharks Jersey and was probably the most consistant scorer when he played (training camp, pre-seasone, reg, ahl)

Owen Nolan? Teemu Selanne? Vinny Damphousse?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
sharkyz15 said:
Picard seems to be kind of the Cheechoo mold
Great skills but average skaters
If Picard has the same will as Cheechoo he would be higher
time will tell

If you put a gun to my head and asked me who the biggest bust in this draft will be i would say Wolski

He seems very much like the Sharks Miro Zalesak. Great offensive talent but very weak on the puck and not exactly your prototipical sniper speed

With respect to PIcard, his skating is better than Cheechoo's right now, and when comparing him to Cheechoo in his draft year, it's not even funny. Picard may have similar skills to Cheechoo though, although I don't think you can question his heart or will either. This is a mature, well-dispositioned young man who was his team's leader in Lewiston. Again, compared to Bolland, it's not close in terms of offensive potential, and I think very highly of Bolland.

As to Wolski, Zalesak is a poor comparison. Wolski is more like Marleau in that he has the skating and the skills to dominate, with the frame to be physical. Yet he refuses to be a consistent physical force. Now, Wolski is not as fast as Marleau, nor is he close to the player Marleau was back in 1997 (when he was drafted). But if you are talking offensive upside as this thread suggested, it's no contest. Bust potential or not, Wolski has serious offensive upside and even despite having a poor season, outperformed Bolland (who busted out big time this year) offensively this year. Wolski can take over a game offensively, Bolland can't. Bolland is a safer pick, but he's a safer pick than Schremp too....doesn't mean he's got more offensive upside.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Where would people put Fransson in terms of offensive abiltity in this years defensemen?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Caniacforever said:

Do you know this for a fact(that he fell because of this) Or are you just speculating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad