Offensive / Defensive line-combinations for teams

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
I was wondering if there is a site or something, from where I could find the line combos for some legendary teams (like 02 Detroit, 97 Philly, 92 Pittsburgh, 80´s Edmonton etc). I know it´s a bit hard, because lines tend to change pretty often, but there has been some lines that have played over 70% of all games in particular seasons. We all know lines like Legion of Doom, Tikkanen-Gretzky-Kurri.. but the rest of the lines are pretty much unknown, for me at least.

For example Detroit had ton of hall of famers in 02, Robitaille, Hull, Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan Lidström. Chelios etc.. Would be cool to know how Bowman constructed each line.

Thanks in advance.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
From what I remember, this is how Bowman typically went with his lineup during that '02 playoff run.

Shanahan - Fedorov - Yzerman
Robitaille - Larionov - Holmstrom
Devereaux - Datsyuk - Hull
Maltby - Draper - McCarty

Jason Williams

Lidstrom - Olausson
Fischer - Chelios
Duchesne - Dandenault

Krupp - Slegr

Hasek
Legace

Here are a couple of things I remember from there line combos:

- Other than that top line it's difficult to list those 3 other lines in order of importance. The Grind Line played a huge roll in that run and may even be considered the 2nd line by some. Larionov and Datsyuk's lines could be viewed anywhere from line # 2 to line # 4 depending on what moment in the playoffs we're looking at.

- Yzerman tooks lots of faceoffs but Fedorov was the one who usually played centre on that line because Yzerman was trying to play on a destroyed knee.

- Bowman gave both Larionov (aged) and Datsyuk (rookie) some games off during the playoffs and subbed in Jason Williams in their place for those games.

- At one point Bowman put Fedorov into Larionov's spot and I think he placed Williams in between Yzerman and Shanahan that game.

This is all from memory but it's quite etched in my brain so I think it's fairly accurate. I hope this helps.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
From what I remember, this is how Bowman typically went with his lineup during that '02 playoff run.

Shanahan - Fedorov - Yzerman
Robitaille - Larionov - Holmstrom
Devereaux - Datsyuk - Hull
Maltby - Draper - McCarty

Jason Williams

Lidstrom - Olausson
Fischer - Chelios
Duchesne - Dandenault

Krupp - Slegr

Hasek
Legace

Here are a couple of things I remember from there line combos:

- Other than that top line it's difficult to list those 3 other lines in order of importance. The Grind Line played a huge roll in that run and may even be considered the 2nd line by some. Larionov and Datsyuk's lines could be viewed anywhere from line # 2 to line # 4 depending on what moment in the playoffs we're looking at.

- Yzerman tooks lots of faceoffs but Fedorov was the one who usually played centre on that line because Yzerman was trying to play on a destroyed knee.

- Bowman gave both Larionov (aged) and Datsyuk (rookie) some games off during the playoffs and subbed in Jason Williams in their place for those games.

- At one point Bowman put Fedorov into Larionov's spot and I think he placed Williams in between Yzerman and Shanahan that game.

This is all from memory but it's quite etched in my brain so I think it's fairly accurate. I hope this helps.

wow,thanks,that really helped.appreciated. any philly fans here to give same kind of info on their team from 97 stanley cup run?

Padan

Aug 16, 2006
wow,thanks,that really helped.appreciated. any philly fans here to give same kind of info on their team from 97 stanley cup run?

The lines in Game 4 of the SC Finals:

LeClair - Lindros - Zubrus
Falloon - Brind'Amour - Renberg
Podein - Otto - Klatt
Druce - Lacroix - Forbes

Therien - Desjardins
Niinimaa - Dykhuis
Petit - Samuelsson

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Damn, the legion of doom were so stymied in the finals that they were broken up? I don't remember that, but I'm not surprised

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I was wondering if there is a site or something, from where I could find the line combos for some legendary teams (like 02 Detroit, 97 Philly, 92 Pittsburgh, 80´s Edmonton etc). I know it´s a bit hard, because lines tend to change pretty often, but there has been some lines that have played over 70% of all games in particular seasons. We all know lines like Legion of Doom, Tikkanen-Gretzky-Kurri.. but the rest of the lines are pretty much unknown, for me at least.

For example Detroit had ton of hall of famers in 02, Robitaille, Hull, Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan Lidström. Chelios etc.. Would be cool to know how Bowman constructed each line.

Thanks in advance.

Well, data exists for more recent stuff (since they made shift charts public) but going back like that is going to be purely anecdotal save for maybe a very rare/obscure mention.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
You could check the Hockey Summary Project website to see which players were participating in goals together, if you have a little time. If you want even strength lines, look at which forwards were assisting on each other's even strength goals.

It should be possible to run the numbers for every player using their data, but nobody has done it. I've thought about it, but I don't think I have the skills to do it in the time I have. IMO that's the best hockey stats project out there waiting to be done.

matnor

Oct 3, 2009
Boston
You could check the Hockey Summary Project website to see which players were participating in goals together, if you have a little time. If you want even strength lines, look at which forwards were assisting on each other's even strength goals.

It should be possible to run the numbers for every player using their data, but nobody has done it. I've thought about it, but I don't think I have the skills to do it in the time I have. IMO that's the best hockey stats project out there waiting to be done.

I've done that. For each player I have the players who collaborated on his points for each seasons there are HSP data. A small part of the results can be seen in this thread:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=832194

If you want the data, just PM me.

matnor

Oct 3, 2009
Boston
Here are some of the teams asked about where I used the previously mentioned HSP data to try to figure out the (even strength) line combinations. I only looked at the regular season.

1997 Philadelpha Flyers

LeClair - Lindros - Renberg
Hawerchuk - Brind'Amour - Klatt
Podein - Otto - ZUbrus
Kordic - Lacroix - Daniels

This leaves out Pat Falloon who seems to have been all over the place but he did have some points with Brind'amour so I guess he played part of the season on the second line.

1983 Edmonton Oilers

Pouzar - Gretzky - Kurri
Messier - Linseman - Anderson
Hunter - McClelland - Hughes

At times, however, Dave Lumley played with Messier and Anderson whereas Linseman played with Semenko and Lindstrom.

1984 Edmonton Oilers

Krushelnyski - Gretzky - Kurri
Lindstrom - Messier - Anderson
Hunter - McClelland - Hughes
Semenko - Carroll

After Mark Napier arrived from the North Stars he seems to have pushed Willy Lindstrom out of the second line.

Those of you who remember, do these lines look accurate?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad