Offensive defensemen

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I've been watching the blue and white since the mid-80s, and I can't remember any other season where they had as many defensemen as they do this year that join the rush for offensive chances. Rielly, Gardiner, Phaneuf and Franson have no problem skating with the forwards to create odd man chances whenever there's a quick transition up the ice.

I love the problems this creates for the opposition, so long as it's not risking an offensive chance the other way for the opponent should the Leafs not score. Two-way players like Bolland really help ensure that the forwards remain in sync with the defense, as they read these plays quickly and seamlessly cover up on the defensive end.

That's a big difference from last season, where we didn't have Rielly, and Gardiner was out for a lot of games. Also, where a guy like Grabo might have not remained back, or if he did, might not have been as effective if there was an odd man rush the other way. Pretty sure playing on the Hawks with guys like Keith, Campbell and Leddy molded Bolland into a full rink centreman in that regard, allowing the Hawks to be a very dynamic team with an offence that could come at you from all angles. Bozak and Kulemin also help in this department, and as Rielly and Gardiner get more comfortable out there this season skating the full rink when the situation calls for it, it could be a huge factor in the Leafs favour.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad