Offensive D-MEn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerFan4Life*

Id say personally Tyutin has more offensive potential than any Dman listed in this thread but thats my personal oppinion... I think Tyutin has the best puck poise and control and two-way game since Lindstrom came into the league..

The Fuhr*

nomorekids said:
what you mean to say was, "they were talking about offensive d-men and left out my team's prospect. don't do that, guyz"

Not at all, the sens may be my fave team but anyone who has seen Meszaros play knows that the guy could become a 50 point player in the NHL especially since he will be playing for an amazing Senator team

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Fuhr86 said:
Not at all, the sens may be my fave team but anyone who has seen Meszaros play knows that the guy could become a 50 point player in the NHL especially since he will be playing for an amazing Senator team

case in point.

So, through his modest production in six games in junior hockey this year...you've been able to deduce this? Can I have the lottery numbers, while you're at it?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Fuhr86 said:

You do realize that just 7 d-men(Gonchar, Niedermayer, Pronger, McCabe, Zidlicky, Tarnstrom, and Leetch) scored 50 points last year? If he truly had that kind of upside, he wouldnt have lasted until #23 in the draft.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
nomorekids said:
case in point.

So, through his modest production in six games in junior hockey this year...you've been able to deduce this? Can I have the lottery numbers, while you're at it?

Are mods supposed to criticize a person for adding their opinion? Meszaros is one of the best two-way defenseman prospects right now. If you don't like him, that's great. But a heck of a lot of other people do.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Sting004 said:
Are mods supposed to criticize a person for adding their opinion? Meszaros is one of the best two-way defenseman prospects right now. If you don't like him, that's great. But a heck of a lot of other people do.

The thread starter asked us to rank 4 specific defensemen on their offensive abilities. Meszaros has nothing to do in this thread and should pretty much be considered irrelevant. It's like asking who you'd rather have; Rebecca Romijn Stamos or Famke Janssen and then answering Britney Spears.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Sting004 said:

I know that you too are a Sens fan...and that my criticizing his inserting someone into a thread irrelevantly bothers you...but it's not like I'm picking on this kid. Just because I'm a mod doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion and argue with people. If being a mod meant that I wasn't allowed to disagree, vocally, I would hand in my badge. I haven't done anything outside the rules...and I have a right to my opinion..just as much as Fuhr and yourself have a right to yours.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
nomorekids said:
I know that you too are a Sens fan...and that my criticizing his inserting someone into a thread irrelevantly bothers you...but it's not like I'm picking on this kid. Just because I'm a mod doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion and argue with people. If being a mod meant that I wasn't allowed to disagree, vocally, I would hand in my badge. I haven't done anything outside the rules...and I have a right to my opinion..just as much as Fuhr and yourself have a right to yours.

Well sure, you're entitled to an opinion, but the way you came across didn't quite seem...friendly?

I understand that he just mentioned his name when he was completely irrelevant..but nonetheless it was pretty uncalled for.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Sting004 said:
Well sure, you're entitled to an opinion, but the way you came across didn't quite seem...friendly?

I understand that he just mentioned his name when he was completely irrelevant..but nonetheless it was pretty uncalled for.

You have to understand...Fuhr and I have a bit of a history, going back to his "Ottawa deserves to be in the top ten prospect list more than Nashville" comments, in that particular thread. I NEVER mean to come across as "unfriendly," but I'm human, and I can get annoyed when someone is being a little unrealistic. I'm embarassed if a Nashville fan says something crazily homeristic...and I'd think you'd be, too. :dunno:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Chaos said:
You do realize that just 7 d-men(Gonchar, Niedermayer, Pronger, McCabe, Zidlicky, Tarnstrom, and Leetch) scored 50 points last year? If he truly had that kind of upside, he wouldnt have lasted until #23 in the draft.

I don't know **** about Meszaros.. but..

Bryan McCabe #40 overall
Marek Zidlicky #176 overall
Dick Tarnstrom #272 overall

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
dem said:

Bryan McCabe #40 overall

Yeah obviously there are plenty of players who slip through the cracks like that...but I think its pretty damn premature to be saying a guy can be a 50 point d-man, especially when thay guy was just drafted what, 4 months ago?

Sammy*

dem said:

Bryan McCabe #40 overall
Do you really want a list of the hundreds od defencemen who were drafted late who never produced? Suffice to say, there are a lot.
By the way, Mezaros is much more likely to never play regularly regularly in the NHL than he is to ever hit 50 pts in a season in the NHL.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Chaos said:
Yeah obviously there are plenty of players who slip through the cracks like that...but I think its pretty damn premature to be saying a guy can be a 50 point d-man, especially when thay guy was just drafted what, 4 months ago?

I think he's trying to demonstrate that 3 of the 7 50 pts d men were drafted after #23 in some case much further down the line. Draft position doesent mean that much. I personally dont know about 50 pts or whatever since I havent seen him play, so about his future production I wont comment.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I just think it was a little humourous to give that list of players, half of which were drafted much later than Meszaros, and then say "If he had that kind of upside he wouldnt have lasted till 23!"

It's just an incredibly weak argument

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
dem said:
I just think it was a little humourous to give that list of players, half of which were drafted much later than Meszaros, and then say "If he had that kind of upside he wouldnt have lasted till 23!"

It's just an incredibly weak argument

no sillier than placing a 50 pt a year prediction on a kid who has played 6 games in North America and put up average numbers.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
nomorekids said:
no sillier than placing a 50 pt a year prediction on a kid who has played 6 games in North America and put up average numbers.

Average numbers, but from what I've heard he's played incredible. Me, I don't think he'll hit 50 pts in a year...in fact, I think very few defensemen will reach the mark with the way the league has been going. Especially on a team like Ottawa, who relies on their skilled forwards more than most teams.

Getting just a bit off-topic here!

Special Ed

Oct 9, 2002
C'ville PA
Visit site
kruezer said:
Hmm, if it was a keeper league, I'd probably pick'em like this....

Barker - I really like him, hasn't been spectacular yet this season, but he's gonna be great IMO.
Phaneuf - MrMastodonFarm is right, Phaneuf has a better point shot than any D-man in Calgary right now.
Suter - Solid, I don't think he'll be quite as offensive as the two above him.
Whitney - Same as Suter, I don't think he's quite so offensive, but not bad at all.

Probably the first time I've ever heard Whitney described this way before.

He has had a reputation as being an offensive D-man, and he's done nothing to disprove that... including coming from college last year to the AHL for the playoffs where he put up 10 points in 10 games...

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Tophu said:
Probably the first time I've ever heard Whitney described this way before.

He has had a reputation as being an offensive D-man, and he's done nothing to disprove that... including coming from college last year to the AHL for the playoffs where he put up 10 points in 10 games...
Actually, he put up 10 points in 20 games if I remember correctly. When he missed a few games with and injury, WBS really struggled from what I've heard. He also led his team in scoring in his final season at BU. Was Whitney considered by some to be the best passer in the 2002 draft?

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Most people who haven't seen a lot of him seem to underrate his offense because he has a reputation as a defensive defenceman.

He was 2nd on his team in scoring last year, he had 23 goals in his draft year (two years ago), he's putting up points this year, Sutter recently said that he has as good an outlet pass as anybody he's seen, from watching him I'd say his point shot is better than anybody currently on the Flames.

So yeah, he's got a considerable offensive upside I'd say. He can do it all. Fans who've only read about him tend to think he's more defensive than he actually is because of the comparisons most people draw and some of the aspects of his game that have been the most hyped (hitting).

I don't want to disagree with you, but to say he will be able to contribute at both the defensive and offensive sides of the rink in the NHL, as he has shown in the WHL could be a bit of a stretch. When he settles into a role, he find that by trying to be a great two way D man, that he is not as effective. If he concentrates on the the defensive, he will be able to add to his offense as he becomes more comfortable if at all. I think he will be great regardless, but I think it will be as a big, rugged D man, who can chip in occasionally with some points. Either way he wont hurt your team out there. Any upside to him is all gravy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->