Offensive D-MEn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Seven_Nation_Army said:
He's leading the WHL in scoring, but not PPG in the Dub that belongs to Shea Weber ;)

I know, but it's only been a few games and he didn't exactly have the history of an offensive contributor before entering the WHL either.

predz

Oct 8, 2004
Longueuil
Could we consider that Whitney will have the best chance to shine immediately (considering what Jackman and Tarnstrom did with Pittsburgh)

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Ott = Snott said:
I know, but it's only been a few games and he didn't exactly have the history of an offensive contributor before entering the WHL either.
His quick, hard, fast accurate slap shot that is going to get him plently of points on an NHL powerplay. His ability to read the play and actually carry the puck up ice is very underrated. He has finally been given more of a chance to produce, and he is.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
MrMastodonFarm said:
His quick, hard, fast accurate slap shot that is going to get him plently of points on an NHL powerplay. His ability to read the play and actually carry the puck up ice is very underrated. He has finally been given more of a chance to produce, and he is.

A hard, accurate slapshot isn't something to get exciting about IMO, the latter part however is, if what you're saying is true. But there are tons of big stay at home defensemen in the NHL with imposing shots, from Derian Hatcher to Scott Hannan, and yet neither will ever put up more than 30 points baring a fulke season IMO.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
The offensive production is a combination of two things: offensive talents, and the defensive game that essintially determines the ice time, and, sometimes, if the player earns the spot on the roster. It is funny that IMO that if you consider the two aspects separately, the rankings would mirror one another:

The offensive talent:
1. Whitney
2. Barker
3. Phaneuf
4. Suter

The likelyhood of securing the top pairing icetime/earning the roster spot:

1. Suter
2. Phaneuf
3. Barker
4. Whitney

So, if you only consider only offensive output, the four prospects have roughly the same (fantasy) value, since both aspects contribute equally there. But in real life the second list is much closer to the real prospect value.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Ott = Snott said:
Phaneuf's offensive upside that big?

Most people who haven't seen a lot of him seem to underrate his offense because he has a reputation as a defensive defenceman.

He was 2nd on his team in scoring last year, he had 23 goals in his draft year (two years ago), he's putting up points this year, Sutter recently said that he has as good an outlet pass as anybody he's seen, from watching him I'd say his point shot is better than anybody currently on the Flames.

So yeah, he's got a considerable offensive upside I'd say. He can do it all. Fans who've only read about him tend to think he's more defensive than he actually is because of the comparisons most people draw and some of the aspects of his game that have been the most hyped (hitting).

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Ott = Snott said:
A hard, accurate slapshot isn't something to get exciting about IMO, the latter part however is, if what you're saying is true. But there are tons of big stay at home defensemen in the NHL with imposing shots, from Derian Hatcher to Scott Hannan, and yet neither will ever put up more than 30 points baring a fulke season IMO.

I don't really see Phaneuf's shot as being comparable to Hatcher or Hannan. His shot is much more like a Rob Blake.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Seven_Nation_Army said:
Suter

Phaneuf

Barker

Whitney
You underrate Whitney's offensive weapons big time. There's no way he's behind all three in that category. He has NHL skills already offensively.

The Fuhr*

Rabid Ranger said:
What does he have to do with this thread?

They were talking offensive D-men and they left out the one of the best.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Hmm, if it was a keeper league, I'd probably pick'em like this....

Barker - I really like him, hasn't been spectacular yet this season, but he's gonna be great IMO.
Phaneuf - MrMastodonFarm is right, Phaneuf has a better point shot than any D-man in Calgary right now.
Suter - Solid, I don't think he'll be quite as offensive as the two above him.
Whitney - Same as Suter, I don't think he's quite so offensive, but not bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad