Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
No, won't be going.

So how much snow y'all got? I've got around 4 inches of snow sitting atop about 2 inches of ice now. Ice either melted or compacted today, started out at about 3 inches of the stuff!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'd say we got 4 or 5 overnight here in Shelbyville. I was stupid and went to work, was there til about 9:15pm cause it was already bad and looked like it was gonna get worse. Don't know what TDOT was doing but didn't see a single sign a plow had touched 65 or 840.

Reactions: Adz

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Just measured 6" on my deck, could be slightly more in the middle of the yard. I know back in the 80's and before that higher snow totals were regular, but since I got here in '96 this is the most I can remember both in accumulation and overall length of the event.

Of course we moved here summer of '96, the winter that year before moving we had 36" of snow with a foot of ice on top in Philly. It's been so long I can't even imagine what that would be like anymore. Then our first winter in Smyrna in '97 I don't think a half inch fell total across the entire season, it was quite a shock.

In '14-16 when I was in Florida, there was only one day that temps even went into the 30's and there was some frost on the roof of the car lol.

Edit: having said that, I hate when people from the north move here, or even just comment online about how the south can't deal with snow and whatnot. It's just different here. There's different types of winter events in both places, and different amounts of equipment and preparation that don't necessarily make sense to fund in the south.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Just measured 6" on my deck, could be slightly more in the middle of the yard. I know back in the 80's and before that higher snow totals were regular, but since I got here in '96 this is the most I can remember both in accumulation and overall length of the event.

Of course we moved here summer of '96, the winter that year before moving we had 36" of snow with a foot of ice on top in Philly. It's been so long I can't even imagine what that would be like anymore. Then our first winter in Smyrna in '97 I don't think a half inch fell total across the entire season, it was quite a shock.

In '14-16 when I was in Florida, there was only one day that temps even went into the 30's and there was some frost on the roof of the car lol.

Edit: having said that, I hate when people from the north move here, or even just comment online about how the south can't deal with snow and whatnot. It's just different here. There's different types of winter events in both places, and different amounts of equipment and preparation that don't necessarily make sense to fund in the south.
It's okay, we make fun of them when they can't breath in July or when they freak out over every little severe storm... We have neighbors that shelter in place for severe thunderstorms, I'm not talking about tornados just severe thunderstorms. Of course they're from Seattle.
Two years ago I had a new admin from New York, in May she was like I can't take this heat and humidity. I was like.... Oh, girl, this is spring......

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Yeah one of my old supervisors was from Wisconsin and he said all his friends would chuckle about we handled it. He said once he explained that you may not have more than one or two plows for some counties, they started to understand. Like he told me up there even private owners will hook a plow to a truck and just go to town.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Yeah one of my old supervisors was from Wisconsin and he said all his friends would chuckle about we handled it. He said once he explained that you may not have more than one or two plows for some counties, they started to understand. Like he told me up there even private owners will hook a plow to a truck and just go to town.
There it's a way of life. Here it just isn't. If you bought a snow plow for your truck in Tennessee people would think you either had one crayon short of the box or more money than you knew what to do with. Either way there might be a "Bless your heart" directed at you.

We have actual snow drifts, which is something I haven't seen in a long time. Probably 2003 ish? Maybe? I know my daughter was still in HS and we got a surprise snow. Her bus got stuck in the snow around 11-12 and the kids had to walk back to the HS. Neighbor went to get both his son and her and it was night before they got home. She'd made the very bad decision to wear heels that day.

I'd say we have 5-6 inches of actual snow.
Edit: had. It has begun to melt some. But it's snowing again!

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Saw a guy on the news who had driven down from Michigan with a 4x4 and a plow, snow shovels and salt. He was clearing parking lots for businesses. Charged $200 and was clearing 12 lots a day. Not a bad gig honestly if you're prepared for it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There it's a way of life. Here it just isn't. If you bought a snow plow for your truck in Tennessee people would think you either had one crayon short of the box or more money than you knew what to do with. Either way there might be a "Bless your heart" directed at you.

We have actual snow drifts, which is something I haven't seen in a long time. Probably 2003 ish? Maybe? I know my daughter was still in HS and we got a surprise snow. Her bus got stuck in the snow around 11-12 and the kids had to walk back to the HS. Neighbor went to get both his son and her and it was night before they got home. She'd made the very bad decision to wear heels that day.

I'd say we have 5-6 inches of actual snow.
Edit: had. It has begun to melt some. But it's snowing again!
It was 7 inches and yeah around then. I was working my first stint in Franklin. We got several good snows in the early 2000's.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I had around 3 inches of snow on top of about 3 inches of ice.

It's so pretty!

Y'all are forgetting just 5 years ago, the week before the All-Star game here, we got about 7 inches of snow!

Reactions: hockey diva

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Going the 9 miles to work the other day, I probably saw 10 of them, including 3 at one time all working in adjacent parking lots. I work near Western Snow Plow (AKA Douglas Dynamics). They also have a place in Syracuse, NY, who gets 100 inches a year, twice what we get in Milwaukee.

I think most people up here know that Dallas or Atlanta will get paralyzed by an inch of snow or ice. When my daughter was in Virginia, she used to drive her school friends to the grocery store since she knows how to winter drive, even up and down those hills in Lexington. It is like a mini version of San Francisco!

I can't imagine living in the Shenandoah Valley in the winter. The Milwaukee area is mostly flat. Cincinnati has a lot of hills and when the weather is bad, mostly icy, cars careen down Ravine St! It is a white knuckle ride for 4 blocks or so.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I had around 3 inches of snow on top of about 3 inches of ice.

It's so pretty!

Y'all are forgetting just 5 years ago, the week before the All-Star game here, we got about 7 inches of snow!
I do remember it snowing the week before and thinking what a mess it would have been if it had come a week later.

Back when I was in 10th or 11th grade in Lewisburg TN, the winter was so bad that we went to school very sporadically in January and part of February. We got one day off for Spring Break and also had time added to the school day--we went earlier and later til school was out. The next year we used one snow day and got out a week early because they'd kept in some of the extra time just in case it happened again so we'd already met our 180 days by mid May!

My daughter went to school until June 17th the year she was in first grade, almost 3 weeks after they were originally scheduled to get out and also had time added to the school day.

I kind of liked that--keep them at home when it was so bad and messy out but once it's nice keep them at school so I could get more done. Ha!

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Anyone have issues trying to post using a phone on this site?

I'll admit I usually only post on the NPPG but it drives me batty when I am trying to make selection (9 out of 10 times a poor one at that) and the script bounces all over the place (Caps on/Caps off, cursor here or over there) This is the only site I have issues on and it happens on both my old phone and the one I bought this week.

Jul 12, 2007

I'll admit I usually only post on the NPPG but it drives me batty when I am trying to make selection (9 out of 10 times a poor one at that) and the script bounces all over the place (Caps on/Caps off, cursor here or over there) This is the only site I have issues on and it happens on both my old phone and the one I bought this week.
Every other post I get started on disappears sometime while I’m writing it.
I’ve learned not to spend 10-15 minutes on a post without hitting the button, as I may just lose it all and need to start over.
So if you ever notice that my posts all seem to get edited 3-4-5 times, that’s why. I’m writing them in multiple installments several separate times, using edit repeatedly.
I’ve actually thought it may be some dumbass moderator doing it to me for laughs, thereby making various threats by me seem quite appropriate. Just haven’t gotten around to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnalogKid

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

I mean you gotta wait a sec on the adds so things stop moving but otherwise I haven't had any issues.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Every other post I get started on disappears sometime while I’m writing it.
I’ve learned not to spend 10-15 minutes on a post without hitting the button, as I may just lose it all and need to start over.
So if you ever notice that my posts all seem to get edited 3-4-5 times, that’s why. I’m writing them in multiple installments several separate times, using edit repeatedly.
I’ve actually thought it may be some dumbass moderator doing it to me for laughs, thereby making various threats by me seem quite appropriate. Just haven’t gotten around to it.
What the hell are you writing that takes 10-15 minutes? No one types that slow.

Jul 12, 2007
What the hell are you writing that takes 10-15 minutes? No one types that slow.
I am a loquacious, riveting wordsmith. Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful.
This took 10 minutes with several rewrites.
I wanted to wring out every word that didn’t contribute to my message and vision.

Jul 12, 2007
Was he that young feller who got married a while back, then had a baby a short while later ? The one who ran the short-lived fantasy league ?
And didn’t hipcheck actually call himself hipczech ?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I haven't seen Fish in awhile! Last I was talking to him, he thought maybe he was taking a job outside of Nashville. Did that ever happen? This would have been 3 years ago I guess. Friend from back when we went skating came into town and about 5 of us met up at Double Dogs. She posted on the other boards as DWFreeze, you may remember her--long blonde hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad