OT: Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Well my April Vegas trip is officially canceled.

My cousin is/was getting married and now the church and reception site have canceled all dates through April. :(

The wedding is rescheduled for November and now I don't know if I'll even be able to go at all.

Screw this damn virus!! :mad:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well my April Vegas trip is officially canceled.

My cousin is/was getting married and now the church and reception site have canceled all dates through April. :(

The wedding is rescheduled for November and now I don't know if I'll even be able to go at all.

Screw this damn virus!! :mad:
Even though I hate Vegas that sucks

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
My local hamburger chain currently cashes in on people ordering food by giving out multiple good deal coupons for everyone.
For 7 euros it's 2 meals so a hamburger, a soda, and some fries. That's very good for Finland, as on average a single meal comes around 8 euros normally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
So...how's it going with you guys? I'm sitting here waiting for a daily video conference. That's something new for me--til recently I was able to avoid all sorts of interaction with clients and coworkers, but my job is kind of changing its scope. I have noticed something via video conferencing. Peoples' faces look less stressed. Neighbor and I both commented on it yesterday (18 feet apart!) deciding maybe this was just a way to slow us all down for awhile and let us get back in touch with the quiet. I hear BIRDS!!! all day. I can't remember the last time I noticed them during the day, morning when they're doing their best to wake me up at 4:30 AM, sure. I miss the hockey games, I miss spending time with people, but maybe there is some benefit.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
So........ maybe this was just a way to slow us all down for awhile and let us get back in touch with the quiet. I hear BIRDS!!! all day. I can't remember the last time I noticed them during the day, morning when they're doing their best to wake me up at 4:30 AM, sure. I miss the hockey games, I miss spending time with people, but maybe there is some benefit.

Much more benefit than slowing us down forever!

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
So...how's it going with you guys? I'm sitting here waiting for a daily video conference. That's something new for me--til recently I was able to avoid all sorts of interaction with clients and coworkers, but my job is kind of changing its scope. I have noticed something via video conferencing. Peoples' faces look less stressed. Neighbor and I both commented on it yesterday (18 feet apart!) deciding maybe this was just a way to slow us all down for awhile and let us get back in touch with the quiet. I hear BIRDS!!! all day. I can't remember the last time I noticed them during the day, morning when they're doing their best to wake me up at 4:30 AM, sure. I miss the hockey games, I miss spending time with people, but maybe there is some benefit.

I have a weekly conference at work. My MS Teams software has an "unknown error"starting about an hour after the last one. I am waiting for IT for restore it. I did wake up early one day and heard a loud bird chirping before 5 AM. Maybe I need to trim the tree at the corner of my house. Maybe you hear the birds all day because there is a lot less traffic. I notice when cars go past my home because it is rare these days and quieter than usual.

I look at my calendar and see no Admirals game on Wednesday versus Cleveland and no game Friday versus San Antonio. We were both home last night as my wife wasn't going to the ballet with her friend. They have been doing that for 30 years. I see the people at work or I would be climbing the walls by now.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I have a weekly conference at work. My MS Teams software has an "unknown error"starting about an hour after the last one. I am waiting for IT for restore it. I did wake up early one day and heard a loud bird chirping before 5 AM. Maybe I need to trim the tree at the corner of my house. Maybe you hear the birds all day because there is a lot less traffic. I notice when cars go past my home because it is rare these days and quieter than usual.
Totally random... I'm probably not your neighbor, but... dude was out front of his house this morning chucking rocks at a bird... in a tree... quite close to the road as I was driving by after my re-supply expedition this morning (hopefully all I need for 2 more weeks in my bunker)... I was hoping he'd pause while I passed. Nope. Didn't ding my truck or anything, but I've just never seen that before, and then seeing this email right after was like... a Police song or something. :dunno:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Maybe you hear the birds all day because there is a lot less traffic. I notice when cars go past my home because it is rare these days and quieter than usual.
It is definitely part of the reason. It's so quiet outside. It seems darker at night--maybe fewer lights on in my little piece of suburbia--no doubt the tornado took care of some of those. I have also noticed the lack of cars, and even hear people talking as they walk by--from 50 feet away. When I do have to travel somewhere there is a fourth (maybe!) of the normal traffic. I used to live in a small town and this reminds me of that. It's probably quieter now than it will be soon because it's so temperate--the HVAC isn't constantly whirring. If only the coronavirus could quarantine the pollen, we could open our windows instead.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Totally random... I'm probably not your neighbor, but... dude was out front of his house this morning chucking rocks at a bird... in a tree... quite close to the road as I was driving by after my re-supply expedition this morning (hopefully all I need for 2 more weeks in my bunker)... I was hoping he'd pause while I passed. Nope. Didn't ding my truck or anything, but I've just never seen that before, and then seeing this email right after was like... a Police song or something. :dunno:

The closest that I have ever been to Huntsville is that rest area with the rocket about 2 miles south of the Tennessee border or where 565 branches off I-65.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
The closest that I have ever been to Huntsville is that rest area with the rocket about 2 miles south of the Tennessee border or where 565 branches off I-65.
:) That's about 10 minutes from my mother's homeplace. She lives in Nashville with my sister (since around November) but still has the old homeplace in Athens and goes down there with Sis about twice a month. Keeps her happy, she wasn't quite ready to give it up but she isn't able to stay alone for long periods anymore.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
This Covid stuff has taken me down a rabbit hole of unbelievable stories involving Hollywood, politicians, child trafficking, upcoming mass arrests, trials for treason, executions, returning to the gold standard, etc.

Of course, this is the internet we're talking about.

On another note, I'm probably going to hand wash my car tomorrow and see if I can find some hamburger meat and veggies to grill later in the evening. It's gonna be a good day.

And I think I'm the only person on my street still going to work five days a week. It's eerie to see.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Most people I know are super stressed. They are out of work or had to close business.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Most people I know are super stressed. They are out of work or had to close business.

I guess I am one of the lucky people. I now report to work 30 minutes earlier. I am not supposed to stay late (like I used to do). I am actually working fewer hours. I used to work about 45 hours a week, with a peak of 50. Last week, it was 42.5 hours. Maybe I can get it down to 40 hours?

I keep thinking that business will drop off. My company seems to have about a 5% drop, based on my building.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Mr. Adz and I were talking about it tonight--we're not working as hard because there's less overall to do but it's nonstop. The fact that it's 5 o'clock or 5 AM or 11 PM really means nothing. People used to wait til I was at the office to ask about stuff but now that the office is with me, there's no time governor.

I'm not stressed really, but I am getting a little nostalgic. I made up a fantasy grocery list this afternoon. I'm going to STROLL through there and get meat and milk, smell the fruit to make sure it's good, and there will be all sorts of paper products, just like in the good old days of February.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Mapping out your grocery list is actually a great thing to do right now. It'll save you from walking back across the store for something you forgot, or impulse shopping, standing and looking at stuff you might not need, handling more items unnecessarily. You will spend less time exposed in the store which is better for everyone.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Mapping out your grocery list is actually a great thing to do right now. It'll save you from walking back across the store for something you forgot, or impulse shopping, standing and looking at stuff you might not need, handling more items unnecessarily. You will spend less time exposed in the store which is better for everyone.
Good points but I'm not actually going to the grocery store. This is truly fantasy for me. Mr. Adz HAS to go to the grocery on Saturdays for his mother so he gets ours but it's a tiny little market so my list is only essentials and perishables. I had actually given up "excessive grocery shopping" for Lent, but this was more than I bargained for! I'm very glad I never fell for the Marie Kondo method for my paper supplies and pantry.

Reactions: predfan98

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
In a strange turn of events my sister in law that has been a triage nurse in the ER for about 20 years in Ashland, Kentucky just got laid off because of a lack of people coming in.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Good points but I'm not actually going to the grocery store. This is truly fantasy for me. Mr. Adz HAS to go to the grocery on Saturdays for his mother so he gets ours but it's a tiny little market so my list is only essentials and perishables. I had actually given up "excessive grocery shopping" for Lent, but this was more than I bargained for! I'm very glad I never fell for the Marie Kondo method for my paper supplies and pantry.

My family and I live with and care for my grandmother, so going to the store is also a must for me. Of course I used to go every 2-3 days (because we have limited space available to use as her "guests" :rolleyes:) but now i'm down to just once a week, which is at the Kroger one mile away, and I go at opening time 7am on Sunday mornings, so there aren't too many people there, especially without the typical church crowd. I started mapping out my list and I can be in and out with a full cart in less than 15 minutes.

I'd like to go on a weekday morning with even less shoppers, but I have to get the Sunday paper when I go. My Grandmother used to have the paper delivered 7 days a week, but over the last 20 years the price went from $20/mo up to around $70/mo, but if you just do Monday through Saturday the price is $27 again. Then I go each Sunday and buy the paper for $3, so total price for the month ends up at $39-42 depending on how many Sundays there are.

Trips to the grocery store are a little eerie now. Everyone is alone, so there isn't really any talking, the store is just a lot quieter than normal. The most prominent sounds are the turning of wheels on carts, items being placed in the baskets and the shuffling of feet. Plus for the last two weeks almost everyone has been wearing masks. It's certainly an interesting experience from a historic standpoint, but otherwise I'd much rather be back to normal.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I'm very much missing my family--Mother and Sis moved here last fall, can't go 4 miles away and see them. Daughter and family live in town, haven't seen them for 3 weeks. Son moved 2 miles away -- from Japan -- and I still don't see him. AND I CAN'T EVEN GUILT HIM ABOUT IT. What is this world coming to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->