OT: Off Topic XXI - It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Canada, U.S. preparing to close border to non-essential travel
Multiple sources tell CBC News that Canada and the United States are in the advanced stages of a deal to close the border to non-essential travel.

The agreement is not finalized, but would close the border to tourists and shoppers while still allowing Canadians now abroad to return home.

The final deal is expected to allow commercial traffic to continue to keep critical supply chains intact.

Well, that was quick.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Imagine going back a year, and telling someone at this time in a year the world would be on lockdown because of a virus, all sports are essentially cancelled, Kobe Bryant is dead and Tom Brady is playing for the Buccaneers.

WTF

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Apparently Uber Eats drivers are making "mad paper" right now. Brother in law made over $400 last weekend. Something to look into?

At least some people are making some decent bank. Unfortunately, my ankle wouldn't take the walking. Called my MLA and a few other politicians and the minister in charge of WCB called me back within the hour.

My ankle has a long bone fracture in the shin bone... When I walk or stand on it it is like I have a swivel about 6" up from the ankle that moves 3-4 degrees side to side ... Standing on it for more than 15 minutes has my pain in the 8's and 9's which of course takes 6-7 hours to get to tolerable. There is a ton of fibrous tissue holding it in place. I am fairly certain with a little political help things will be reconsidered but no injured worker should have to worry about his/her benefits while COVID has all businesses shut down.

If things don't get dealt with by Friday I will go to the media and see what they can do for the situation.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Ontario is pretty much shut down.
Yet I'm still working. Assembling cars at the biggest plant in Ontario. 4500 of us per day. 2 shifts.
Shoulder to shoulder, no social distancing. They said they're going to ramp up cleaning in the plants. That hasn't happened. In fact I haven't seen a cleaner since last Thursday. I see more mice and raccoons than I do cleaners.
Ford and my union Unifor has been pretty much quiet and hasn't told us anything. No policy, no nothing. The show must go on.
We get parts from all over the world and since it's travel season I know quite a few people who got back from Mexico and Cuba last week and returned to work.
I'm at my wits end. Great paying job so it's tough to stay home and not make money. But I really don't want to be there. I have an elderly parent, I've told her to stay away from visiting me because I'll probably be exposed if I haven't already. Not fun times.
I can't understand why they think we should be building cars when every car dealership in north america has plenty just sitting there unsold.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Trying to cancel all my travel plans and its been hell.

Fun times guys... fun times. Been on the delta website for 2 hours and I’m on the verge of throwing my laptop on the ground with all the “we’re sorry, try again later we can’t process your request rn” bs.

Sigh*

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Trudeau unveils $82B COVID-19 emergency response package for Canadians, businesses

MAKE%20IT%20RAIN.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Trying to cancel all my travel plans and its been hell.

Fun times guys... fun times. Been on the delta website for 2 hours and I’m on the verge of throwing my laptop on the ground with all the “we’re sorry, try again later we can’t process your request rn” bs.

Sigh*
Set your alarm for 2:00 AM and try then.

You're not going to get anywhere right now.

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Delta sent an email saying if you didn't board your flight, it would automagically convert into a credit. I still intend to try to cancel it tonight though.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I feel kinda bad for @southeastern. He came over to our barn to chat and he doesn't even get serenaded by crickets. :laugh:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'm starting to get pessimistic about this situation. Some of my friends from puclic sector were ordered to work from home until the end of May. It's like this whole thing has just started and we are gonna see things getting a lot worse before they get better.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm starting to get pessimistic about this situation. Some of my friends from puclic sector were ordered to work from home until the end of May. It's like this whole thing has just started and we are gonna see things getting a lot worse before they get better.
Heh and here we are with our public sector being ordered to work to "maintain appearances"

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Heh and here we are with our public sector being ordered to work to "maintain appearances"

We are quite close to being show down entirely, the country I mean. Supermarkets etc. are open but pretty much every non-essential activity is closed. Just a little over a week ago it was "only few cases here, no need to panic". That's why I'm thinking the worst is yet to come

Working from home couple of days every week has been pretty normal for quite a long time (for example in IT, where it really doesnt matter where you are), work culture thing I guess. At my previous job I didnt even have to notify anyone if I was working from home, our offices where in 5 different cities so Skype was the norm. Even with people who worked in the same floor, even if everyone happened to be at the office

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We are quite close to being show down entirely, the country I mean. Supermarkets etc. are open but pretty much every non-essential activity is closed. Just a little over a week ago it was "only few cases here, no need to panic". That's why I'm thinking the worst is yet to come

Working from home couple of days every week has been pretty normal for quite a long time (for example in IT, where it really doesnt matter where you are), work culture thing I guess. At my previous job I didnt even have to notify anyone if I was working from home, our offices where in 5 different cities so Skype was the norm. Even with people who worked in the same floor, even if everyone happened to be at the office

Stay safe my friend.

Reactions: Kahvi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This popped up on my FB page. This is f***ing serious folks and I pray that Canadians and the Canadian government and medical infrastructure will have more success than Italy has.

Capture.JPG

Reactions: Kahvi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I went for a drive yesterday in the countryside to see if I could find any interesting wildlife to photograph. I headed west from Okotoks and eventually ended up at Elbow Falls.

What is wrong with people? At Elbow Falls the parking lot was packed with vehicles and there were vehicles parked on both sides of the road up to a mile away from the falls. I didn't get out... just turned my Jeep around and drove away.

I didn't take this picture... someone else did and it was published in Global News.

canmore-traffic-e1584851358400.jpg

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
This popped up on my FB page. This is f***ing serious folks and I pray that Canadians and the Canadian government and medical infrastructure will have more success than Italy has.

View attachment 338413
And here I am, being told to continue going into the office because... reasons.

No, we are not going to take this seriously until it's too late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->