OT: Off Topic XXI - It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Ironically, it was my consumption of Bubly that led to investigating a soda stream.

Turns out, after doing the math (C02 canisters and buying the Bubly flavouring) it's about the same price per litre.
That's why you invest in a large CO2 canister. However, there is a guy in Calgary that refills the soda stream ones for $10.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I feel like I would somehow blow myself up.

For CO2 canisters, I think the most you can do is spray yourself with air. I don't believe you will end up with something explosive, other than an air bubble blasting a beverage into a mist. The CO2 canisters are super durable and often metal. It's more like compressing CO2 in a thing like a car tire. CO2 isn't flammable or explosive, it's just pure carbon dioxide pressure in a container.

We're basically talking about small tanks of plastic or metal compressed air for spraying things here (ie: Paint ball), but not the ones that use a chemical to create CO2 when depressurized which can explode because it's an aerosol can (ie: computer compressed air). Even then, you'd probably have a hell of a time figuring out how to make a computer compressed aerosol can explode without insane damage done to the can.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
For CO2 canisters, I think the most you can do is spray yourself with air. I don't believe you will end up with something explosive, other than an air bubble blasting a beverage into a mist. The CO2 canisters are super durable and often metal. It's more like compressing CO2 in a thing like a car tire. CO2 isn't flammable or explosive, it's just pure carbon dioxide pressure in a container.

We're basically talking about small tanks of plastic or metal compressed air for spraying things here (ie: Paint ball), but not the ones that use a chemical to create CO2 when depressurized which can explode because it's an aerosol can (ie: computer compressed air). Even then, you'd probably have a hell of a time figuring out how to make a computer compressed aerosol can explode without insane damage done to the can.

When I took mechanics in high school, someone stuck the compressed air hose in their armpit and pulled the trigger. It ruptured the skin under their arm and they had to get stitches and some other treatment I cant remember.

Not directly related, but a fun story.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

In high school, I stuck a compressed air hose in my armpit and pulled the trigger. It cause enough damage to my skin that I needed several stitches, and I had to reject advances from the school nurse.

Not a true story, but a fun story.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
YYC baby!

Seriously this f***ing sucks

Attachments

• ECE597B0-D36B-4572-AADC-FF53982BF1FB.jpeg
    ECE597B0-D36B-4572-AADC-FF53982BF1FB.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 8

I Hate Blake Coleman

F*** the oilers
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
It looks yellow af out here today. Yet, it doesn't show up on camera. Makes me wonder if I'm just seeing yellow. I may be developing both cataracts and suffering from jaundice, apparently.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I want to fight Elon Musk with my fists.

If the two of you were high on cannabis and screaming his son's name while doing it, I think it's be more entertaining than a normal fist fight.

Hell, start sober but use a smoke machine to pump in cannabis smoke and see who is incapacitated by giggles first.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Sorry for crashing your forum. I’m a long time Devils fan . I was hoping I could get some insight from you guys on Hamilton.
What is your take on him ? Why do you think he was traded to Carolina ?Was it locker room “issues” or performance issues ? I’m just hoping to get some more info on how he was viewed by fans during his time in Calgary. It just seems a little odd to me that he would sign in NJ and Carolina would let him go by only offering a rumoured 6-6.5 mil per contract? I thought he was seen as a top 10 D in the league? I thought there would be multiple teams “fighting” to sign him but it seems like NJ and Carolina were the only two teams really pursuing him.
I know he is only average defensively but I would have thought that his good offensive production plus him being a coveted RHD would make him very sought after? I’m guessing it’s because he has some warts but what are those warts? So far from what I gather is that he takes some pretty bad penalties , doesn’t really use his size , makes some very questionable reads in the defensive zone and some times his commitment is questioned ? Is he not not a good teammate or is it that he is just a little different and doesn’t fit in great with everyone else?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your guys time and good luck to Flames and I hope you guys crush the Pacific .

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Sorry for crashing your forum. I’m a long time Devils fan . I was hoping I could get some insight from you guys on Hamilton.
What is your take on him ? Why do you think he was traded to Carolina ?Was it locker room “issues” or performance issues ? I’m just hoping to get some more info on how he was viewed by fans during his time in Calgary. It just seems a little odd to me that he would sign in NJ and Carolina would let him go by only offering a rumoured 6-6.5 mil per contract? I thought he was seen as a top 10 D in the league? I thought there would be multiple teams “fighting” to sign him but it seems like NJ and Carolina were the only two teams really pursuing him.
I know he is only average defensively but I would have thought that his good offensive production plus him being a coveted RHD would make him very sought after? I’m guessing it’s because he has some warts but what are those warts? So far from what I gather is that he takes some pretty bad penalties , doesn’t really use his size , makes some very questionable reads in the defensive zone and some times his commitment is questioned ? Is he not not a good teammate or is it that he is just a little different and doesn’t fit in great with everyone else?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your guys time and good luck to Flames and I hope you guys crush the Pacific .

Dougie is a great dman. Really good offensive instincts and shoots a ton. Offensively I don't see much argument that he wouldn't be top 10 in the league. Defensively he's not bad either. Keeps a good gap and his long reach helps him keep guys in front of him. Yes often too much reaching causes him to take some bad penalties and when he has a bad game he has a really bad game. Not a very 'intense' player so I think that leads some fans and hockey men to think he's a guy you can't win with.

Why he was traded was mostly fit on and off the ice I suspect. He only wanted to play top pairing with Gio and we had Brodie being wasted and misused on the 2nd pairing. Plus he was worth quite a bit when he was being paid what he was so it made sense to trade from a position of strength to address positions of weakness. Then there were rumors of locker room issues but I think those are overblown.

He's a really good hockey player, but yes for much of the time I've watched him it just does feel like somethings missing when you look at him as a #1 D. He's been blessed to play with Chara, Giordano, and Slavin in his career and having a stout defender like that really allows him to do his thing offensively. I probably wouldn't have given him the contract the Devils did but I understand why they did it. He's been a great complimentary defenseman so far in his career, not really the guy you build a blueline around but maybe he can continue to grow into that role with the Devils.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Dougie is a great dman. Really good offensive instincts and shoots a ton. Offensively I don't see much argument that he wouldn't be top 10 in the league. Defensively he's not bad either. Keeps a good gap and his long reach helps him keep guys in front of him. Yes often too much reaching causes him to take some bad penalties and when he has a bad game he has a really bad game. Not a very 'intense' player so I think that leads some fans and hockey men to think he's a guy you can't win with.

Why he was traded was mostly fit on and off the ice I suspect. He only wanted to play top pairing with Gio and we had Brodie being wasted and misused on the 2nd pairing. Plus he was worth quite a bit when he was being paid what he was so it made sense to trade from a position of strength to address positions of weakness. Then there were rumors of locker room issues but I think those are overblown.

He's a really good hockey player, but yes for much of the time I've watched him it just does feel like somethings missing when you look at him as a #1 D. He's been blessed to play with Chara, Giordano, and Slavin in his career and having a stout defender like that really allows him to do his thing offensively. I probably wouldn't have given him the contract the Devils did but I understand why they did it. He's been a great complimentary defenseman so far in his career, not really the guy you build a blueline around but maybe he can continue to grow into that role with the Devils.
Awesome . Thanks for the post ! Anyone else have their take on him ?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
He likes a good museum.
Not really
Dougie Hamilton addresses innuendo that followed him out of Calgary - Sportsnet.ca
Dougie Hamilton wants to set the record straight.

He’s not a huge fan of museums.

“Not really,” chuckled the Hurricanes defenceman following Sunday morning skate in Edmonton.

Anyway, something was off with Hamilton in Calgary. Treliving was trying to trade him within a year of acquiring him. There were persistent trade rumors and then after his brother was waived and claimed by Arizona, it was over. Dougie pouted badly in response and well, the organization seemed more than happy to move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->