OT: Off Topic XXI - It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Woke up today with a f***ed up throat and my nose is not stuffy. Only I would catch the common cold during a flu outbreak. ayyy lmao

Why not? This is still prime cold and flu season and this year has been a nasty one even without Covid 19. I myself have been sick off and on since Thanksgiving (probably 60% of the total time). I usually have 5-10 days max of cold/flu.

Call 811 bro.

Actually, don't do that. It'll tie up the line. There's information online as well as the online self assessment tmurfin posted. From what I understand, over 300K people used the self assessment.

COVID Self Assessment

Do this self assessment before calling 811, from what I’ve heard their lines are busy for hours on end

Yep. This is a good resource. The Alberta health link info for Covid 19.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Actually, don't do that. It'll tie up the line. There's information online as well as the online self assessment tmurfin posted. From what I understand, over 300K people used the self assessment.
Any of the primary Covid-19 symptoms being displayed will result in needing a call to 811.

Definitely yes do the self assessment first, that is good advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
All schools closed in Finland, starting this Wednesday. Public gatherings over 10 people banned. Pretty much every public building closed. All public sector employees ordered to work remotely if possible. Borders closed. Etc

so not a full lockdown but getting close to that

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Also preparation to implement "exception" law quite soon which gives government more powers to act, something that has been used in wartime before. Things getting serious

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Integrated economy coupled with the toddler in charge down south. It's miserably delicate balancing act between preventing total collapse of the economy and keeping people safe.

But as the situation in the states deteriorates, they'll increase the restrictions. And with proper management of everyone coming in (i.e., forced quarantine), they can still prevent escalations here.

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Wisconsin schools are closed until April 6th at the earliest. Public gatherings of more than 250 people have been banned. Most importantly, the local rink has been shut down.

Also, grade school kids have been sent home with chromebooks in preparation for online learning. With the rule that they can't change their own email passwords and have to use the school one. According to my stepson, the school password is a formula that has 8 digits, of which 3 are static for everyone, 1 is randomized (or perhaps set by class number) of at most 4 possible characters, and the last 4 are the last 4 digits of their email address. He was right on the money with his sister's password so I will choose to believe him because it helps with the righteous anger.

And with a password that is that easy to crack, they also send out a reminder that the students are responsible for everything that has been sent from their email. My daughters account has been logged on to from 3 different devices and 2 separate IP addresses (other than ours) in the 4 days they've had them at home.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Integrated economy coupled with the toddler in charge down south. It's miserably delicate balancing act between preventing total collapse of the economy and keeping people safe.

But as the situation in the states deteriorates, they'll increase the restrictions. And with proper management of everyone coming in (i.e., forced quarantine), they can still prevent escalations here.
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/03/canada-announces-it-will-exclusively-import-covid-19-from-us/

Reactions: Calculon

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I renewed my mortgage about three weeks ago.

With talk of potentially lowering the federal rate to a negative interest rate, I am very disappointed in my timing.

yes I realize that I wouldn't get a negative rate mortgage but dare to dream..

Man 3 weeks ago seems like a decade ago now.

Dow Jones is down 3000 now. I didn't know it could go that low.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Looks like most downtown offices are closed in Calgary (including mine). For someone who always complains about not being able to work from home, I am having a very boring first day working from home today.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I renewed my mortgage about three weeks ago.

With talk of potentially lowering the federal rate to a negative interest rate, I am very disappointed in my timing.

yes I realize that I wouldn't get a negative rate mortgage but dare to dream..

As long as you're also prepared to be charged a negative interest rate on your deposits at the bank.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Woke up today with a f***ed up throat and my nose is not stuffy. Only I would catch the common cold during a flu outbreak. ayyy lmao
Hope things are going fine with you!

Pretty much in lockdown mode here. We are limiting all visits from friends and family .. In fact the in-laws were told not to stop and self-isolate when they get back from Phoenix... Woohooo no mother in-law.

'Tis going to be a socially dull 3-6 months but I guess I will just work on RUST and VUEJS development. Can't wait until spring when I can find a secluded park to relax.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Also, grade school kids have been sent home with chromebooks in preparation for online learning. With the rule that they can't change their own email passwords and have to use the school one. According to my stepson, the school password is a formula that has 8 digits, of which 3 are static for everyone, 1 is randomized (or perhaps set by class number) of at most 4 possible characters, and the last 4 are the last 4 digits of their email address. He was right on the money with his sister's password so I will choose to believe him because it helps with the righteous anger.

And with a password that is that easy to crack, they also send out a reminder that the students are responsible for everything that has been sent from their email. My daughters account has been logged on to from 3 different devices and 2 separate IP addresses (other than ours) in the 4 days they've had them at home.

Man, as someone who works in IT, that's pretty embarrassing. But good on your stepson for figuring it out haha

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
With this stock market crash my mutual funds are taking a real shit kicking.
I know... 1st world problems but I'm a senior and I rely on my CPP and OAS and my savings.

And on top of that I have to worry about COVID-19 as my age puts me in a high risk group along with the fact that I have type 2 Diabetes and COPD.

When it rains it pours.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Any of the primary Covid-19 symptoms being displayed will result in needing a call to 811.

Definitely yes do the self assessment first, that is good advice.

Honestly the self assessment was not that helpful. I work in healthcare and I can't even get through to 811... Shitty time too to have a cold as well LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad