OT: Off Topic XXI - It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
You guys seem to have forgotten about Cool as Ice being in the 90s

Dude just jealous cuz I'm out gettin' mine.

affdc8af3ca66c7922c170d07865f55f9d96ce0a.gifv
IG9CcLT.gif
tumblr_lo80wmljCC1qbvx0xo1_400.gif
82700b247bd1d7622e4dd0910632cf42.gif
f76f8256b8a0ac2ad2277c9bfe1980bd.gif

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
It’s awful, but part 1 & 2 were epic movies when I was growing up so I didn’t hate part 3.

Going the opposite way, The Last Boy Scout was a super good movie.
Same. I watched 1 and 2 again recently and remembered that 3 was sub-par. Then I saw it on prime today and had some time to kill so figured “how bad could it be?”

I got my answer.

Last Boy Scout is quite entertaining.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Got my Oura ring today. I cant say much about this of course but looks promising, the app will probably give me some positive pressure to go outside and move after 8h day in front of my computer. Sleep analysis of course is the thing that's most interesting at the moment but I think it's gonna take few weeks of data collection to identify real trends, because this isnt really that accurate to measure absolute sleep data.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Got my Oura ring today. I cant say much about this of course but looks promising, the app will probably give me some positive pressure to go outside and move after 8h day in front of my computer. Sleep analysis of course is the thing that's most interesting at the moment but I think it's gonna take few weeks of data collection to identify real trends, because this isnt really that accurate to measure absolute sleep data.
I think I found a replacement for my fitbit which is almost 3 years old and therefore about to unexpectedly "die" on me.

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
When it rains, it pours. Insomnia, work relates stress and so on. How about shingles next? why not

luckily medication seems to work ok with this and it didnt get too serious but I really could have done without this

the literal finnish translation "Belt rose" sound much more fun than what this really is

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I heard you guys wanted more endorsement posts from me? Kyrö gin is the best gin I've tasted, and their ad is the best I've ever seen

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I heard you guys wanted more endorsement posts from me? Kyrö gin is the best gin I've tasted, and their ad is the best I've ever seen

I checked liquor connect and it doesn't seem like it's available in Alberta. Or at least no liquor distributors have stocked it, ever. =/

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yeah I'd appreciate that, thanks!

I’ve been using Oura for a little over two weeks now. Short summary: I like it a lot, nothing major to complain about. This is my first ever activity/fitness/whatever tracker, so I can’t make any comparisons. Or actually I think Oura is being marketed as a sleep & recovery tracker, not really an activity tracker even though it does track activity as well.

It’s a ring so you or anyone else will barely notice you are wearing some tracker. Battery life is good, 5 days easily with one charge, and I have re-charged this with around 30% battery left since it goes a power saving mode with less than 20% battery and does not track everything during night in that case. This is a bit thicker than normal ring, so you should really try how the rings in sizing kit fit and feel like after sleep or exercice. It's waterproof so I've used in 24/7 no problem.

The ring itself does not show any information (what a surprise), everything is in the Android / iOS app. This is a good thing, I don’t want another device that’s beeping all the time wanting my attention. The app has Dashboard to give you some overall view of what going on, and then tabs for Sleep, Readiness, and Activity. A lot of data in there, but I think the main point is heart rate, heart rate variability, and body temperature then the sleep cycle and time in bed.

Apparently the heart rate, HRV and sleep cycle are pretty accurate even when comparing to medical grade equipment, there a some peer reviewed research papers. I have to say that few night I felt I was awake a lot, but Oura showed only a couple of short wake periods so who knows.

There are a lot of Youtube reviews with almost only positive reviews, watching few of those might give some more insight about the ring. Only negative things I found were about this being not so good activity tracker.
Because I’m not afraid to sacrifice my body for science, I got really drunk one night. Next morning Oura told me that my Sleep was really high quality and I fell asleep almost immediately after going to bed (no shit), but the next day my readiness was really low because of low HRV and high heart rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad