OT: Off Topic XXI - It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I've been taking up increasingly weird hobbies every month to cope. September I bought a bullwhip. October my dad and I started brewing mead. Last week I impulse bought a sitar online lol.

This no hockey thing in winter is definitely got me all topsy turvy. What do I do with my hands.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I've been taking up increasingly weird hobbies every month to cope. September I bought a bullwhip. October my dad and I started brewing mead. Last week I impulse bought a sitar online lol.

This no hockey thing in winter is definitely got me all topsy turvy. What do I do with my hands.

Alcohol will be the new currency once the world as we know it burns down to the ground. That bullwhip is going to come in handy when you need to protect your riches.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
5e3780100449403.Y3JvcCwyMzM5LDE4MzAsMjAyLDA.jpg

First time in a few years I've felt good being a Jags fan.

Hopefully he doesn't refuse now

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
So I am thinking about buying my first house/town house/condo this year, preferably in spring/summer. I am 25, living at home still, single, debt-free, have been working full-time as an accountant for 3 years (Just became a CPA), and have saved up a good amount for a down payment. Based on preliminary research I can get a mortgage for probably around $300-350k and afford a down payment of 5% or 20% (I hear to do one or the other for interest rates).

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to even start this process and what things to keep in mind. Some people also think renting is a better idea as I am single and am not married to my current employer or Calgary. I don't like the idea of relying on a renter if I went house route. So I think a town-house is more appropriate and if there is space I would just rent to a buddy for cheap on a monthly basis just to pocket extra cash. I'd like to have a dog as well. A condo would be easier for just me though and probably cheaper.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
So I am thinking about buying my first house/town house/condo this year, preferably in spring/summer. I am 25, living at home still, single, debt-free, have been working full-time as an accountant for 3 years (Just became a CPA), and have saved up a good amount for a down payment. Based on preliminary research I can get a mortgage for probably around $300-350k and afford a down payment of 5% or 20% (I hear to do one or the other for interest rates).

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to even start this process and what things to keep in mind. Some people also think renting is a better idea as I am single and am not married to my current employer or Calgary. I don't like the idea of relying on a renter if I went house route. So I think a town-house is more appropriate and if there is space I would just rent to a buddy for cheap on a monthly basis just to pocket extra cash. I'd like to have a dog as well. A condo would be easier for just me though and probably cheaper.

Congrats on your CPA. I just realized I got my designation almost 5 years ago to the day (give or take a week).

Anticipate 2-3% of the value of the place you are purchasing for furnishings and other purchases. In a $300K place that's like $6-9K of stuff like bed, mattress, pillows, blankets, sofa, table, chairs, kitchen stuff/small appliances, cutlery, cups, plates, towels, toilet paper, laundry basket... etc.

IKEA has a ton of this stuff, but IMO you're better off going to Winners/Costco and purchase for durability as much as possible over just getting stuff for the sake of having it. It's better to think of certain things as something to upgrade later than something to replace later. For instance, crystal glasses from Winners will cost you $2-3 each vs $1 for a clear glass at IKEA, but the glass ones are super fragile and can break easily. The Crystal ones are nicer and can handle so much more accidental abuse without damage and you're far more likely to never buy glasses again if you get $20 worth of crystal glasses vs spending that every 2 years or so to replace the stuff you break. I nabbed 4 Mikasa glasses for $10 at Winners 5 years ago, grabbed extra over the years to have more glasses in general and I'll probably never need to get nice glasses for drinks or water etc. for the rest of my life. It'll cost you far less in the long term to have a base of good stuff from the get go.

Condo prices are cratered and townhouses are selling at a good discount. IMO, the biggest thing to worry about those are condo fees. Keep an eye on whether you think the condo fees are artificially low and will spike in a few years. For your budget, I think it's decent for a townhouse. I'd suggest targeting something in the 10-15+ year range (still nice) and pocket as much cash as possible to enjoy your home in. Being house poor sucks. Pay off your mortgage aggressively and it'll give you a ton of options in the future.

My first place was in a condo downtown that I paid around $195K when the housing market was hot. I stayed there around 5 years before moving to a brand new townhouse in Tuxedo and now a larger single family home. There are pros and cons. I still miss things from Condo bachelor lifestyle and then the brand newness of the townhouse and the location of both were nice (not suburbs).

I think $300K might be enough to target 10-25+ year old townhouses in the inner city range. $400K might be enough to target stuff around 5-10 years old in the inner city. I lived in a brand new townhouse in Tuxedo for about 5 years until recently and it cost me just shy of $500K. That townhouse would be worth around $420-440K right now with condo fees less than $200 a month (snow shoveling, insurance and grass cutting only) and fees unlikely to increase for the foreseeable future.

Check out this listing

Something like this is a little older, but still very nice due to refresh. I think you can do a little better, but it'll give you an idea if you are in the right ball park with a $300K budget. IMO you should be able to do nicely in a good location with that amount. $350K isn't necessary unless you truly fall in love with something a bit nicer and are willing to rough it out a little bit house poor style.

But man... something like this... So sexy.

Check out this listing

This listing is sick! Too bad condo fees are $780 a month. :laugh:

EDIT: Don't forget to look into the first time home buyer credit via your RRSP and look into how to leverage it to the maximum (you need 90 days to maximize it if you haven't been regularly contributing to the RRSP I believe). Also, be aware of the realtor you choose. Some realtors are legit hoping to make you happy and hoping the good experience you have with them turn into a referral to someone else who needs a realtor. The vast majority are just sales people and some realtors are straight up sleezy.

Mortgage wise, True North was a reasonable experience with good rates.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlamesFan18

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Couple general things:

Do not buy unless you're prepared to own the property for at least 5 years. If you think you're going to move away in a couple years for example, it will almost always be cheaper to rent.

When you put down an amount less than 20%, most lenders will be able to offer you a better rate. This is because your mortgage will be considered 'high-ratio' and you'll be required to purchase CMHC/Genworth/CG mortgage insurance. This cost will be added into the mortgage. This insurance protects the lender, not you. Thus, lower rate. You'll want to have them give you examples of what your payments will look like with both above and below 20% down, and see which is best for you.

I would start with getting pre-qualified (pre-approved), this will give you a much better idea of what you will qualify for in terms of mortgage size, rate.

Condo values in Calgary have cratered over the past 5 years, to be brief. Could be a good investment opportunity, but given the overstock in that market it could take a long time to see any appreciation in your property. If you go this route find a realtor who is familiar with this market.

I write mortgage financing software as my day job, feel free to PM me if you have some specific questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlamesFan18

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
11 years ago today Phaneuf, Freddy Sjostrom and Keith Aulie traded to the Leafs for Matt Stajan, Ian White, Niklas Hagman and Jamal Mayers.

Jokinen and Prust traded to the Rangers for Kotalik and Chris Higgins.

"Definitely, it’s a slap in the face to get traded," said Jokinen as he exited Pengrowth Saddledome.

"It was a long day. We heard everything yesterday, last night I was kind of surprised. I wasn’t expecting to get moved but it’s part of the business and I’ve got to move on."

Despite the rampant trade speculation, both Jokinen and Prust were in the lineup against the Flyers.
Flames complete Jokinen trade with Rangers - Sportsnet.ca

This was a dark a time to be a Flames fan. I don't remember much happiness in this time.

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'll be on sick leave for next two weeks, so more Flames games for me. Also had an interview for a new job today. It's been a shitty few months but looking better now

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'll be on sick leave for next two weeks, so more Flames games for me. Also had an interview for a new job today. It's been a shitty few months but looking better now

I hope you feel better soon.

It also sounds like maybe you need more time spent in a sauna ;)

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I hope you feel better soon.

It also sounds like maybe you need more time spent in a sauna ;)

Thanks, it's been insomnia and some level of burn-out. But sauna everyday helps a bit, and I'm gonna to everything to avoid thinking anything work related for now. More time for NHL

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Thanks, it's been insomnia and some level of burn-out. But sauna everyday helps a bit, and I'm gonna to everything to avoid thinking anything work related for now. More time for NHL

Insomnia sucks. Burnout too. I know the feeling.

I dunno if this will help, but my suggestion for insomnia is to sleep less and to make a to do list, no matter how mundane or small the project or thing is. If there's something you can do within 5 minutes in any room, do it. Try and get through that list.

It seems counter intuitive, but I often find that if I cannot sleep, rolling around in bed for a few hours just makes it worse. If I cannot sleep within a fixed amount of time (ie: 15 mins), I get out of bed, do stuff for like 45 minutes (chores, repairs, sorting, hobby, research for a project, optimizing home layout etc. but not time wasting activities like games or media etc. if possible) and that feeling of satisfaction of completing something helps me sleep. If after that 45 minutes, I cannot sleep again for 15 ish mins, rinse and repeat. For me, even if I end up sleeping 2 hours total, at least I feel a little accomplished and I don't look at my house kinda dejected and down about how there's so much to do. Sometimes I feel like there are a thousand straws that snapped the camel's back, which keeps me from having the motivation to do anything at all (no matter how small or simple).

There's plenty of things you can do for cheap (less than $50 each time) that will help greatly to change how things look in your life if that's bugging you. Spending time to swap electrical switches to different design/different color etc. Upgrading all your charging cables to 10 ft cables. Replacing clothes hangers to slimmer unified ones is nice. Upgrading shoe storage set up to reduce mess helps a bit. New pillow cases and bed coverings etc. are ways to tweak your daily life to feel less repetitive and a bit more fresh. I have tons of other ideas to waste small amounts of money in a way that's enjoyable if you need ideas. ;) I always have ideas. Too many. Crazy ones.

Lastly, consider trying a ton of new things. I find that monotony and same shit different pile sort of daily drivel adds to my burnout and frustrations. Try and learn a few things or do things you don't typically do for a few hours a week no matter how stupid. Language, beatboxing, bartending, cooking, knife skills, magic tricks, music etc. Something not necessarily easy to master or get through (which seems counter intuitive when you're kinda burned out), but something you can easily see incremental improvement and success in that might actually be a neat parlor trick to know and impress friends with later. Personally, I'm doing knife sharpening at the moment and I have French and Spanish language learning I'd like to give a shot. I'm even kinda interested in poking around at the Russian language. Not necessarily enough to be fluent, but enough to kinda pick out a little bit of what people are saying and then maybe commenting in that language they don't expect me to know for a funny shock factor or something. :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad