OT: Off Topic XXI - It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
EDIT: Damn that pic was ugly. :laugh:

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Can you buy a Flames jersey with that 1980-2020 logo somewhere? shop.nhl.com didnt seem to have those

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Can you buy a Flames jersey with that 1980-2020 logo somewhere? shop.nhl.com didnt seem to have those

Anyone? I'll be turning 40 in a couple of months so this would be a really nice gift to myself for so many reasons

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Permission to leave early from Friday, check. Train ticket to Tampere, check. Tickets to Ilves-Tappara and Ilves-Sport, check. Train ticket back to home on Sunday, check. Just need to find a hotel.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm too impulsive with my travel plans :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Permission to leave early from Friday, check. Train ticket to Tampere, check. Tickets to Ilves-Tappara and Ilves-Sport, check. Train ticket back to home on Sunday, check. Just need to find a hotel.

Hot stuff! Enjoy it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Are you going to be buying jerseys too? Show up in Flames gear and see if you get some freebies from Valimaki? :)

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Are you going to be buying jerseys too? Show up in Flames gear and see if you get some freebies from Valimaki? :)

Possibly, if they have a Välimäki jersey ready, but I'm pretty sure they make them by orders.
Looking at Ilves webstore, why the hell would anyone buy a doormat with their favourite team logo on it? so you can wipe you feet to it every day?

Kynnysmatto – Ilves-Kauppa – Viralliset kannattajatuotteet

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Possibly, if they have a Välimäki jersey ready, but I'm pretty sure they make them by orders.
Looking at Ilves webstore, why the hell would anyone buy a doormat with their favourite team logo on it? so you can wipe you feet to it every day?

Kynnysmatto – Ilves-Kauppa – Viralliset kannattajatuotteet

They do that with toiletries. I assume you're supposed to buy the rival team one, not your favourite team one.

Rival team body wash = eau de nutsack and arm pits. :P

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Guys? How is everyone doing? Hopefully everyone is okay with a rumoured lockdown imminent that is likely to happen.
Absolutely. I’m in my 4th year (of 5) of university so I’m definitely not one of the people who are overly affected by this (if the rumours are true) in terms of losing a job or losing a business, but you can’t help but feel for those people.

But it speaks volumes to the gross mismanagement of this whole situation by the Kenney government that we go from cancelling youth sports in a couple areas, to full blown lockdown.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I think I'm doing okay. I feel like I've been in lockdown since September anyways. Spring and summer was really busy for me, just spending lots of time with my cohort: helping with home projects, watching kids baseball games, vacationing, etc. All that came to a complete stop in September when their kids went back to school so I've been chilling at home for most of the time, with the exception of going out for floor hockey and dodgeball.

If there's one thing I learned from the first wave, it's that I really need to feel productive to keep from going crazy so I'm on the lookout for things to keep me busy over the winter. I just bought another bike frame to build up, but that doesn't take more than a day after I have all the parts.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Guys? How is everyone doing? Hopefully everyone is okay with a rumoured lockdown imminent that is likely to happen.
I've been working from home since April and only getting groceries every two weeks, so won't be much of a change for me. As long as the gym in my condo stays open, I'm fine. If it closes, I will be in trouble unless the weather stays the way it is.

That said, I don't think the announcement today will be a complete lockdown and if it is, then it will not be as severe as everyone thinks it will (or should) be.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I've been working from home since April and only getting groceries every two weeks, so won't be much of a change for me. As long as the gym in my condo stays open, I'm fine. If it closes, I will be in trouble unless the weather stays the way it is.

That said, I don't think the announcement today will be a complete lockdown and if it is, then it will not be as severe as everyone thinks it will (or should) be.

I agree with this, I don't think it will be as severe as many think it will be.

I am glad to hear you guys are mostly staying okay through all of this. Sending good thoughts all you way.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

I don't think so either. The first go 'round, nobody knew what was going or how to handle it or what worked and what didn't, but now we sort of do. Or maybe we don't, otherwise our numbers wouldn't be so high. This is so frustrating. Sometimes I wish they'd do a complete lockdown. Man, people are so stupid. I can't believe toilet paper hoarding is a thing again.

If you guys have the means, please try and help some of the local businesses this next lockdown. There's a number of restaurants I know I'd really miss once this blows over and they're not around, so I'll definitely be making some orders I normally wouldn't be over the next little bit. Actually, maybe I should start hoarding toilet paper after all haha

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hope you guys are all staying safe. What a crazy world we’re living in. Not to get into religion, but if any of you would like me to pray for yourselves or family, let me know.

What are some things you’re doing to stay positive?

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Best of luck to everyone in Calgary and area.

iStock-Cheers.jpg

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I've thought about this over the last few days and I still don't know how to respond.

Life is absolute chaos right now with a 3 month old and a 2.5 year old who take turns not sleeping. Family unit stress is through the roof due to this as well as Covid stresses, this even with grandparents help. Work is busy as hell right now for me. I've typically been getting like 3-5 hours of sleep 4-5 times a week for the last month and the spouse is hitting similar numbers too. If stuff goes sideways, who ends up holding the bag?

giphy.gif

...And yet I have had this inexplicable shit eating grin pop up on my face in the gaps between the constant storms and just random rushes of calm or excited energy frequently hit me over the last few weeks. The grin is weird, it bugs me. I can't tell if I've accidentally tapped into a special part of coping that gives me a rush of zen when things get absolutely inhuman levels of screwy, or if I've snapped and gone kinda crazy and manic. If anyone is wondering, no, this is not some chemical calm or a side effect of playing with jazz cabbage. I even significantly cut back my alcohol consumption to levels significantly lower than pre-covid.

Like, even with the absolute crap show swirling around me, I've been smiling and chugging along. Don't get me wrong, whatever this is, I'll take it. But in the back of my mind it's still super, duper weird. A few months ago, I definitely was strung out, feeling very burnt out, feeling like I was drowning slowly... and sometime between that and now, that mentality has just melted away and been replaced with inexplicable moments of zen and satisfaction.

giphy.gif

I'm looking forward to the busy insanity at work to evaporate soon.
I'm looking forward to the holidays coming.
I'm looking forward to getting 5-6 hours of sleep a day regularly (a level of barely tolerable "adequate").
I'm looking forward to being at home a few hours more a day instead of at work and doing things with family.
I'm looking forward to having more mental capacity to think of inane things like whether my brand spanking new patio heater will be stolen due to sudden surge in desirability due to the rules of this extended lock down.
I'm looking forward to have time and energy to catch up on chores around the house so it doesn't look like a frat party threw a party at my place, then tried to cover their tracks by throwing children's things around the house...

One thing I am thankful this week, my wife bought me a percussion massager for less than $100 on Amazon. I'm excited for it to arrive so that I can try it on this achy and battered body of mine.

Stay safe, sane and serene everyone!

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Let's see. Too much work, frustration with management that refuses to acknowledge that we don't have enough people working in the project, probably approaching burn-out because of all this.

Otherwise no problems. Staying indoors most of the time either working, sleeping, eating or watching Netflix.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Glad to hear everyone is as burnt out as I am. Fig, I know exactly what you're talking about re: strange zen smile. I will caution (and not trying to be a pessimist) that I had hit that phase last month but it has now regressed back to anxiety and stomach knots. I can't even imagine how I would feel if I wasn't fortunate enough to still have a job, so I recognize how lucky we are in that context, but still.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I can't even imagine how I would feel if I wasn't fortunate enough to still have a job, so I recognize how lucky we are in that context, but still.

I've been quite actively looking for a new job lately, and I've told that to my boss directly, who luckily agrees with me and understands the situation. I really dont know what I'd do if was offered a new job, because the labour legislation (and the job itself) here means I basically cant lose my job whatever happens. And with a new job there would be 6months trial period. So its stressful job and security in the current situation vs. maybe the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and insecurity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad