Off-Topic Chat Thread

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I thought they actually were the best known Non-Title characters in Western Literature, so as to exclude the likes of Romeo, Juliet, Othello, Don Juan (who basically became a stock character) and the aforementioned Count of Monte-Cristo.

I was perhaps wrong.
I'll advance a candidate for best-known non-titular character in French-language novels: Jean Valjean.

Among English novels- much as it pains me to say it- Ebenezer Scrooge, I guess(?)

The best-known German-language characters sing their words.;)

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
How's this for off topic? If anybody has Canadian income tax questions (as you're working through your returns over the next 1.5 months), let me know.

My qualifications, as far as you know, are "some guy on the internet".

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The best known non-title character in French literature outside of d'Artagnan is a toss up between Quasimodo and the horse from Germinal.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Try A Rose in the Storm by Brenda Joyce. Your brain will explode with such force Helsinki will have to declare martial law. If you read in Swedish I have a physical copy under the title Den som segrar, I can send it over the Baltic Sea per snail mail. My rats have chewed a little on the cover but otherwise it's basically mint condition.

Thanks for the tip.

I do read in Swedish, although it is a somewhat hard work for me. Right now, I'll try to finally finish Selma Lagerlöf's Jerusalem (hey, I've owned it 'only' for about 12 years!) and after that it will be one of my old favourites Röda rummet (slightly uneven but often hilarious) by the aforementioned Strindberg. I've only read it in Finnish thus far. By the looks of it, Lagerlöf's Swedish is a bit easier to read, although e.g. her use of comma feels occasionally strange to the modern eyes.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Selma Lagerlöf has a nice flow, it feels pretty authentic and that's probably why it's easier to read. I think she wrote many of her books in dialect though, and I guess it's a possibility a bit of that dialect disappears in translation. She's very highly regarded here though. I remember reading somewhere that someone Swedish said once that she is the only Swede who actually deserved his/hers Nobel prize in literature.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
How's this for off topic? If anybody has Canadian income tax questions (as you're working through your returns over the next 1.5 months), let me know.

My qualifications, as far as you know, are "some guy on the internet".

What can you do if there's a significant amount missing on your T4, other can calling the pay service and tell them to get their shit together and to issue a revised and accurate T4 before, say, April 15?

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
What can you do if there's a significant amount missing on your T4, other can calling the pay service and tell them to get their shit together and to issue a revised and accurate T4 before, say, April 15?

Is the T4 under-reporting or over-reporting your income? Either way, you're supposed to report your actual income, even if it's different than the T4 (the same is true for any type of slip).

If you're being honest and trying to report the full amount (actual income is higher than the amount per the T4), the CRA probably won't care. From their perspective, you've over-reported income, and over-paid tax. They might ask you about it in the future, but more likely they'll keep quiet about it. (It's still better to report what you think is the right amount, even if it's higher than the T4 - it will avoid interest/penalties if the slip ever gets revised).

If the T4 over-reports your income - this is a headache. At some point in 2020, the CRA will cross-refer the T4 the employer sent them, to what you reported. They'll almost certainly reach out to you if you appear to have under-reported income. Try to keep documentation proving why the amount on the slip is too high (ie compare your pay stubs to the T4 - but remember there could be other taxable benefits that are included - group RRSP, fitness reimbursement, certain types of car allowance, etc). If you're sure the employer over-reported your income, the best approach is to try to get the employer to amend the slip (good idea to do this in writing so you have contemporaneous evidence that you're disputing the amount). Possibly threaten to have an accountant/lawyer talk to them, but you'd need to assess if that's worth the cost.

Reactions: MXD

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Is the T4 under-reporting or over-reporting your income? Either way, you're supposed to report your actual income, even if it's different than the T4 (the same is true for any type of slip).

If you're being honest and trying to report the full amount (actual income is higher than the amount per the T4), the CRA probably won't care. From their perspective, you've over-reported income, and over-paid tax. They might ask you about it in the future, but more likely they'll keep quiet about it. (It's still better to report what you think is the right amount, even if it's higher than the T4 - it will avoid interest/penalties if the slip ever gets revised).

If the T4 over-reports your income - this is a headache. At some point in 2020, the CRA will cross-refer the T4 the employer sent them, to what you reported. They'll almost certainly reach out to you if you appear to have under-reported income. Try to keep documentation proving why the amount on the slip is too high (ie compare your pay stubs to the T4 - but remember there could be other taxable benefits that are included - group RRSP, fitness reimbursement, certain types of car allowance, etc). If you're sure the employer over-reported your income, the best approach is to try to get the employer to amend the slip (good idea to do this in writing so you have contemporaneous evidence that you're disputing the amount). Possibly threaten to have an accountant/lawyer talk to them, but you'd need to assess if that's worth the cost.

At this point, the amount on the T4 is lower than my last stub, so going by the T4 would mean I'd by under-reporting.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
To wit, Professor Calculus, of Tintin fame:
Acting-the-goat-professor-calculus-38750651-204-270.png

In the original Tintin "Objectif Lune", the expression used in this memorable outburst is "faire le zouave". A great classic, I have all those books in french and remain a fan in adulthood.

Professor Calculus' real name is Professeur Tournesol. Unsure why they didn't translate his name literally to Professor Sunflower.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
In the original Tintin "Objectif Lune", the expression used in this memorable outburst is "faire le zouave". A great classic, I have all those books in french and remain a fan in adulthood.

Professor Calculus' real name is Professeur Tournesol. Unsure why they didn't translate his name literally to Professor Sunflower.
Ha! I read Objectif Lune in French once, when I was in Montreal. It's my favorite (along with Red Rackham's Treasure).

Some of the translations were odd. As you'll know, Tintin's dog is actually named Milou, which was creator Hergé's ex-girlfriend's name!

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Ha! I read Objectif Lune in French once, when I was in Montreal. It's my favorite (along with Red Rackham's Treasure).

Some of the translations were odd. As you'll know, Tintin's dog is actually named Milou, which was creator Hergé's ex-girlfriend's name!

Wasn't aware you understood french. At the risk of being really but really off-topic, my favorite Tintin is undoubtedbly L'Étoile Mystérieuse (The Shooting Star), mostly because of the mystical flavor with the end-of-the-world meteorite, the prophet, the astronomers, the race at sea, the giant spider, etc. This one also marked the confirmation of Haddock as a recurrent character after his beginning as a pathetic drunktard captain in Le Crabe aux Pinces d'Or (The Crab with the Golden Claws).

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

It's the same in German. Like in English, they didn't care for the sunflower but for the alliteration. In German, his name is Balduin Bienlein. Bienlein is a diminutive form of Biene, which means "bee".

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Wasn't aware you understood french. At the risk of being really but really off-topic, my favorite Tintin is undoubtedbly L'Étoile Mystérieuse (The Shooting Star), mostly because of the mystical flavor with the end-of-the-world meteorite, the prophet, the astronomers, the race at sea, the giant spider, etc. This one also marked the confirmation of Haddock as a recurrent character after his beginning as a pathetic drunktard captain in Le Crabe aux Pinces d'Or (The Crab with the Golden Claws).

Hey if we're going off topic to talk about Tintin i'm game. I do find it ironic though that in a thread where I seem to disagree with you so strongly, I find out that your favorite Tintin....is literally my least favorite one lol. So many good ones that it's hard to pick a favorite - but i definitely didn't like that one as much as others

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Hey if we're going off topic to talk about Tintin i'm game. I do find it ironic though that in a thread where I seem to disagree with you so strongly, I find out that your favorite Tintin....is literally my least favorite one lol. So many good ones that it's hard to pick a favorite - but i definitely didn't like that one as much as others

Conversation moved to the off-topic thread.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It's the same in German. Like in English, they didn't care for the sunflower but for the alliteration. In German, his name is Balduin Bienlein. Bienlein is a diminutive form of Biene, which means "bee".

Tuhatkauno in Finnish. Tuhat = thousand, kauno = beauty (well, almost, but derived from beauty or beatiful anyway). Tuhatkauno is also one name for daisy, so I think the translation is good, and it feels something that could be a real surname, though a more rare one. If his name was sunflower translated to finnish, it would sound kinda weird.

vaspa

Sep 29, 2011
Helsinki
Don't know any French nor I'm that much into Tintin, but I just finished French Tv show called Le Bureau des Legendes about French intelligence service. Best Tv show I've seen in years and in it all agents aliases were insults used by capitaine Haddock. Real slow burner of a series and I heartily recommend it to everyone.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware L'Étoile Mystérieuse (The Shooting Star) is not as polished as subsequent albums. When I was a child I wanted to become an astronomer; I dreamed of ressembling those big-headed long-bearded balding scientists. I also dreamed of becoming a Montreal Canadiens player and an action movie star, like most kids, but astronomer was the deepest archetypal image I identified with. So in light of this it's not surprising that L'Étoile Mystérieuse would rank as my favorite, as they were a ton of scientists in this album, as well as a connection to astronomy. What I liked about it was the symbolism, the themes, the spark to the imagination it triggered within me.

But even if I take the quality of the story as objectively as possible, putting aside all my personal childhood preferences (as much as is possible), I don't see how you could prefer Tintin au Congo, Tintin en Amérique, Tintin chez les Picaros, or even L'Oreille Cassée to this one. Vol 714 pour Sydney was not that great neither.

Speaking of Tintin au Congo, it was a completely insane album. Not only was it super racist, but the animal cruelty was nuts too. It was such an over-the-top contrast with the pure nature of the Tintin character as he is generally perceived in the popular imagination. I'm aware it was the first official album (unless you count Tintin chez les Soviets), and so Tintin's nature was not settled back then, but looking at it with hindsight makes quite an effect.

I leave you with some completely insane (and to be honest, hilarious) scenes from Tintin au Congo involving complete disregard for animal life:

N-16-4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

congo-3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bobholly39

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I'm aware L'Étoile Mystérieuse (The Shooting Star) is not as polished as subsequent albums. When I was a child I wanted to become an astronomer; I dreamed of ressembling those big-headed long-bearded balding scientists. I also dreamed of becoming a Montreal Canadiens player and an action movie star, like most kids, but astronomer was the deepest archetypal image I identified with. So in light of this it's not surprising that L'Étoile Mystérieuse would rank as my favorite, as they were a ton of scientists in this album, as well as a connection to astronomy. What I liked about it was the symbolism, the themes, the spark to the imagination it triggered within me.

But even if I take the quality of the story as objectively as possible, putting aside all my personal childhood preferences (as much as is possible), I don't see how you could prefer Tintin au Congo, Tintin en Amérique, Tintin chez les Picaros, or even L'Oreille Cassée to this one. Vol 714 pour Sydney was not that great neither.

Speaking of Tintin au Congo, it was a completely insane album. Not only was it super racist, but the animal cruelty was nuts too. It was such an over-the-top contrast with the pure nature of the Tintin character as he is generally perceived in the popular imagination. I'm aware it was the first official album (unless you count Tintin chez les Soviets), and so Tintin's nature was not settled back then, but looking at it with hindsight makes quite an effect.

I leave you with some completely insane (and to be honest, hilarious) scenes from Tintin au Congo involving complete disregard for animal life:

N-16-4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

congo-3.jpg

I guess i always subconsciously consider the albums with Capitaine Haddock vs without as a different tier. He adds so much to the story - that maybe i should have said it's my least favorite album after he shows up (and i like some of the ones without him better too - but no, probably not all). I agree Congo is really silly but i read it as such a young kid it still holds a special place for me, as my first comic book ever i think.

But - coming back to Capitaine Haddock - Tintin chez les Picaros or Vol 714 pour Sydney i like a lot more, yep. For whatever reason i just didn't like this one as much, even though it makes sense why you would based on your story.

Thinking about Tintin really frustrates me. I still don't understand why they couldn't have continued albums. I know the author didn't want them continued after his death - i just think it's a real shame. Switching this to pop-culture a bit - one of the things i absolutely love about Disney is that they're continuing stories that fans remain invested in, rather then ending them.

Harry Potter? (not disney) 7 books - that's it that's all, no possibility for sequels to books or movies. Why? You literally left billions on the table....and fans would love more. It's also a shame.
Marvel Universe? Continuously bigger and more characters and endless potential for sequels....this is fantastic. Fans love it - and of course, they're making a ton of money too.
Star Wars? Same idea - Disney is genius. Why end it? They brought it back - and are telling a lot of stories in that universe. So long as there's fan interest and ability to make money - i want to see it go on.

Considering Tintin is my favorite of comic books (and - i like a lot of them, as that's what i grew up on) - I always hated how it couldn't be continued past it's set of albums.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I guess i always subconsciously consider the albums with Capitaine Haddock vs without as a different tier. He adds so much to the story - that maybe i should have said it's my least favorite album after he shows up (and i like some of the ones without him better too - but no, probably not all). I agree Congo is really silly but i read it as such a young kid it still holds a special place for me, as my first comic book ever i think.

But - coming back to Capitaine Haddock - Tintin chez les Picaros or Vol 714 pour Sydney i like a lot more, yep. For whatever reason i just didn't like this one as much, even though it makes sense why you would based on your story.

Thinking about Tintin really frustrates me. I still don't understand why they couldn't have continued albums. I know the author didn't want them continued after his death - i just think it's a real shame. Switching this to pop-culture a bit - one of the things i absolutely love about Disney is that they're continuing stories that fans remain invested in, rather then ending them.

Harry Potter? (not disney) 7 books - that's it that's all, no possibility for sequels to books or movies. Why? You literally left billions on the table....and fans would love more. It's also a shame.
Marvel Universe? Continuously bigger and more characters and endless potential for sequels....this is fantastic. Fans love it - and of course, they're making a ton of money too.
Star Wars? Same idea - Disney is genius. Why end it? They brought it back - and are telling a lot of stories in that universe. So long as there's fan interest and ability to make money - i want to see it go on.

Considering Tintin is my favorite of comic books (and - i like a lot of them, as that's what i grew up on) - I always hated how it couldn't be continued past it's set of albums.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Asterix is still getting produced, and the quality is significantly lower in newer albums. I don't even consider them real albums.

The original author is important. Unless you find a really good replacement but I haven't seen it very often.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

Well there's something called artistic integrity. Would you like me writing a sequel on Crime and Punishment and call it a Dostoyevsky book? Sometimes there's more to art, or life, than just money. Sometimes a story line is complete. If you created something you probably would like some kind of control over it, I guess.

By the way, Spielberg and Peter Jackson did a new Tintin movie and it wasn't very good at all.

Tintin and the Lake of the Sharks, again, not very good.

It can be good though, but most often it isn't because it's been far too removed from the original creator and the story's most often been watered down. Adaptations is another category though, I guess. When you're talking about the Disney films, Walt Disney didn't write or sketch those films himself, even from the get go. He took European folklore, summoned a group of talented illustrators and got the ball rolling. He did short cartoons himself (like Mickey Mouse) with Ub Iwerks.

On this topic Hayao Miyazaki & Isao Takahata, who later became famous with their Studio Ghibli films such as Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies, tried to pitch a Pippi Longstocking film (or several short films perhaps) in the early 1970s but Astrid Lindgren said no, for unknown reason.

They even visited Gotland, where Pippi Longstocking films had been shot, and you can see inspiration from Swedish architecture in later Miyazaki films.

Here are some of the sketchs from the scratched project

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm not sure I agree with this. Asterix is still getting produced, and the quality is significantly lower in newer albums. I don't even consider them real albums.

The original author is important. Unless you find a really good replacement but I haven't seen it very often.

Asterix is a good example - and yes some of the new albums aren't as good it's true. Some are good though. As a fan i'm very happy they continued the story, vs giving it up.

To make a sport analogy - The Last Dance with Michael Jordan just aired. You're champs - you're still best in the world - how absolutely and insanely crazy that they blew the team up as champs, before they ever lost? To stick to hockey instead - why trade Gretzky after a cup? At least wait till decline/team implosion to do so. I just....don't get it.

With Tintin - obviously you'd want high quality as the bar was set so high. So sure - i don't suggest they hire any wahoo to write a crap story. They should be smart about it and do a great effort, but i still really wish they'd find a way to continue it, even years later

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

Tintin au Congo is a terrible book in my opinion, even if you wouldn't be offended by the racism/colonialism and animal cruelty. Like in some other earlier Tintin books, the plot is very thin and the characters are underdeveloped; if the Tintin books had stayed on that level, I wouldn't have paid much attention to them as an adult.

I have to disagree on Vol 714 pour Sydney. It's a bit messy plot-wise, but I think the first ten pages or so are hilarious (the airport 'scenes'), and there are good moments in it throughout; I could have done without the bits about the UFO, though.

Generally, IMO the later books are the best, like Coke en Stock, Les Bijoux de la Castafiore and especially Tintin au Tibet. They have more sophisticated humour and interesting characterization than the early ones; and they have Captain Haddock of course!

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Tintin au Congo is a terrible book in my opinion, even if you wouldn't be offended by the racism/colonialism and animal cruelty. Like in some other earlier Tintin books, the plot is very thin and the characters are underdeveloped; if the Tintin books had stayed on that level, I wouldn't have paid much attention to them as an adult.

I have to disagree on Vol 714 pour Sydney. It's a bit messy plot-wise, but I think the first ten pages or so are hilarious (the airport 'scenes'), and there are good moments in it throughout; I could have done without the bits about the UFO, though.

Generally, IMO the later books are the best, like Coke en Stock, Les Bijoux de la Castafiore and especially Tintin au Tibet. They have more sophisticated humour and interesting characterization than the early ones; and they have Captain Haddock of course!

I agree that Tintin au Congo is a pile of crap book with or without the racism/animal cruelty. Just like Tintin en Amérique and Tintin chez les Soviets: terrible stories, terrible books. The real good stuff starts at the Les Cigares du Pharaon/Le Lotus Bleu duology.

You know what? I kindda agree with you. I was too harsh on Vol 714 pour Sydney. It's always nice to have Rastapopoulos in the mix, and the truth serum scene was also hilarious.

This is where I will disagree. IMO Tintin was at his best in the middle of its run. This means more or less starting from L'Étoile Mystérieuse to around L'Affaire Tournesol, a stretch that includes the three duologies Le Secret de la Licorne/Le Trésor de Rackham Le Rouge, Les 7 Boules de Cristal/Le Temple du Soleil and Objectif Lune/On a Marché sur la Lune, separated randomly by L'Or Noir. I might go back to Le Sceptre D'Ottokar, which IMO was a pretty solid album with its Adolf Hitler/Anchluss concept, and Le Crabe aux Pinces d'Or, while not that good on its own, is important for introducing Capitaine Haddock. But hey, the later albums are also very good, except the last one which I felt was rushed.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
This is where I will disagree. IMO Tintin was at his best in the middle of its run. This means more or less starting from L'Étoile Mystérieuse to around L'Affaire Tournesol, a stretch that includes the three duologies Le Secret de la Licorne/Le Trésor de Rackham Le Rouge, Les 7 Boules de Cristal/Le Temple du Soleil and Objectif Lune/On a Marché sur la Lune, separated randomly by L'Or Noir. I might go back to Le Sceptre D'Ottokar, which IMO was a pretty solid album with its Adolf Hitler/Anchluss concept, and Le Crabe aux Pinces d'Or, while not that good on its own, is important for introducing Capitaine Haddock. But hey, the later albums are also very good, except the last one which I felt was rushed.

Oh, I like all of the books you mentioned, especially the Les 7 Boules de Cristal/Le Temple du Soleil duo, so no huge disagreement there.

BTW, luckily, the Finnish translations (by Heikki and Soile Kaukoranta, and by Jukka Kemppinen) of the Tintin books are very good and catch the humour and the references and all that. In comparison, the old Swedish translation by Karin and Allan B. Janzon stinks! They missed so many jokes, as well as often simply did not translate the 'difficult' references to history etc, probably thinking that "the kids won't get it". Good that there's a new translation by Björn Wahlberg.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
BTW, luckily, the Finnish translations (by Heikki and Soile Kaukoranta, and by Jukka Kemppinen) of the Tintin books are very good and catch the humour and the references and all that. In comparison, the old Swedish translation by Karin and Allan B. Janzon stinks! They missed so many jokes, as well as often simply did not translate the 'difficult' references to history etc, probably thinking that "the kids won't get it". Good that there's a new translation by Björn Wahlberg.

On the other end of the spectrum you have the German translations of Disney comics by Erika Fuchs (1906-2005). She either thought the German-speaking readers wouldn't appreciate a literal translation of the American original or just thought it would be a boring endeavour, so she produced a very liberal translation that should perhaps better be called a rewrite. The most notable aspect is that she incorporated quotes and references to German classical writing and music wherever she could. A famous examples: When Huey, Dewey and Louie refuse to wash, she lets them vary a verse from Friedrich Schiller's Wilhelm Tell:

German original:English translation:
Schiller:Wir wollen sein ein einzig Volk von Brüdern,
in keiner Not uns trennen und Gefahr.
We want to be a single People of brethren,
Never to part in danger nor distress.
Fuchs:Wir wollen sein ein einzig Volk von Brüdern,
in keiner Not uns waschen und Gefahr.
We want to be a single People of brethren,
Never to wash in danger nor distress.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I don't know what the English original of the comic says, but German classical quotes and parodies like these can be found throughout the entire work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->