Off-Topic Chat Thread

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
"If you purchase a snake, don't think you're gettin' a labrador retriever," HOF tight end Shannon Sharpe said of star receiver Antonio Brown, a misbehaving signing by the playoff-missing Steelers.

Gawd, I wish hockey broadcasters would go big in their statements: too much blase attitude in commentary. No wonder Don Cherry emerged as a sensation. At least he goes big. Even if he's done it with myopic prejudiced lenses.

I decided back in 2014 to never watch a Toews interview ever again when I sat through 17 minutes of dry hay leading into the Olympic gold medal game. Ugh.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
What are you sentimental about that no one else would be?

My grade 3 teacher didn't like seeing hockey cards in the classroom. About mid-year, she took away all of our hockey cards, and put them in her desk. I had forgotten about them. At the end of the school year, she pulled out stacks of hockey cards from the bottom of one of her big drawers, and asked which pile was mine. I still have those cards.

What if the plot in Hets (Torment) was Widgren hiding hockey cards in his desk? Would have been a completely different film.

web-hets_001_---kopia.jpg

Reactions: Thenameless

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Hey everyone, I don't know if this is really an "off"-topic thread, but figured I'd run it by the homies/homettes anyhow....

I play on a low-level beer league on Saturday nights. A few times during the season they ask me to play center. Outside of the fact of this being detrimental to the team in EVERY way possible (ha ha!). To those who have played the game at some type of competitive level above beer league-If I'm taking a defensive zone faceoff, I always want to draw the puck directly behind me on my backhand (I'm a right hand shot). Is this "generally" the right thing to do? (as oppose to drawing it to the side or hitting it forward). Maybe it is too situational to have a "blanket" answer, but wanted to get your guys thoughts anyhow *thumbs* Sincerely-a slow on his skates 40 year old guy named Jim

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
What are you sentimental about that no one else would be?

What if the plot in Hets (Torment) was Widgren hiding hockey cards in his desk? Would have been a completely different film.

web-hets_001_---kopia.jpg

"Fusk, min herre, fusk!"

I haven't seen the whole film, only that scene (late parodied also in Socker-Conny).

Poor Alf Sjöberg (the director), who had to stand Ingmar Bergman's (the writer & "assistant director" or whatever) bullying throughout the filming.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Hey everyone, I don't know if this is really an "off"-topic thread, but figured I'd run it by the homies/homettes anyhow....

I play on a low-level beer league on Saturday nights. A few times during the season they ask me to play center. Outside of the fact of this being detrimental to the team in EVERY way possible (ha ha!). To those who have played the game at some type of competitive level above beer league-If I'm taking a defensive zone faceoff, I always want to draw the puck directly behind me on my backhand (I'm a right hand shot). Is this "generally" the right thing to do? (as oppose to drawing it to the side or hitting it forward). Maybe it is too situational to have a "blanket" answer, but wanted to get your guys thoughts anyhow *thumbs* Sincerely-a slow on his skates 40 year old guy named Jim

There's rarely a blanket answer for this type of thing. The game is so situational. But...the most important thing about taking a defensive zone faceoff is: whatever you do, don't lose it clean. That's an automatic scoring chance against. I'm a RHS, and while I play a lot more RW these days, I still take a lot of faceoffs (because that's all I'm good at)...if I'm on the right side, my strong side, chances are - I'm winning that pretty clean. I want to win it back to my corner, or if there's no one lined up on the board side for the opposition (i.e. they have a different formation, like someone lined up in the shooting hole directly behind the center, for instance), then I can just slap it to the boards and we'll easily get it.

It's a lot more of a challenge for me when I'm on my wrong side. I don't like to take these with my traditional hand and stick placement...they end up going on net too often...I actually won a left side faceoff so clean last year that it went five-hole on my goalie...ugh...

While I continue to work on the Sidney Crosby forehand-slap-to-the-wall play, which he makes look so easy, but is actually difficult to master. I usually look at their formation, tell my winger what I'm gonna do and ask for help. So I'll just get underneath the center, take his stick off the ice, turn into him, get a skate around the puck, get that skate ahead of the puck so that it can't be fished back to the point and then my winger will jump in and knock it back to our d-men and then we start the breakout...

No reason to ever go forward with a DZ draw...but whatever you do, don't lose it clean...

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
There's rarely a blanket answer for this type of thing. The game is so situational. But...the most important thing about taking a defensive zone faceoff is: whatever you do, don't lose it clean. That's an automatic scoring chance against. I'm a RHS, and while I play a lot more RW these days, I still take a lot of faceoffs (because that's all I'm good at)...if I'm on the right side, my strong side, chances are - I'm winning that pretty clean. I want to win it back to my corner, or if there's no one lined up on the board side for the opposition (i.e. they have a different formation, like someone lined up in the shooting hole directly behind the center, for instance), then I can just slap it to the boards and we'll easily get it.

It's a lot more of a challenge for me when I'm on my wrong side. I don't like to take these with my traditional hand and stick placement...they end up going on net too often...I actually won a left side faceoff so clean last year that it went five-hole on my goalie...ugh...

While I continue to work on the Sidney Crosby forehand-slap-to-the-wall play, which he makes look so easy, but is actually difficult to master. I usually look at their formation, tell my winger what I'm gonna do and ask for help. So I'll just get underneath the center, take his stick off the ice, turn into him, get a skate around the puck, get that skate ahead of the puck so that it can't be fished back to the point and then my winger will jump in and knock it back to our d-men and then we start the breakout...

No reason to ever go forward with a DZ draw...but whatever you do, don't lose it clean...

Mike this was excellent, pictured everything you said in my head to a T. Thanks for taking your time to respond! I'll revisit this here and there, but know it will be easy to retain NEVER to go forward *thumbs up*

Reactions: Michael Farkas

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
One popular song I never understood the appeal of was ''We Are The Champions''.Not only do I hate that song, but I also don't feel it sets the right mood of victory.Apparently I'm alone in this opinion.

''We will rock you'' I concede is a good arena song especially because the claps engage the spectators, even if I would never put that on my mp3 player.

Some songs are suited for sport events regardless of the genre, like ''Eye of the tiger'' or ''Final countdown'' for example.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
One popular song I never understood the appeal of was ''We Are The Champions''.Not only do I hate that song, but I also don't feel it sets the right mood of victory.Apparently I'm alone in this opinion.

I don't like any Queen songs so you aren't alone on that one lol. Always thought they were one of the most overrated trash bands.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I only listen to old-school Euro trance. :rolleyes:

(I didn't even know Leila K made concerts anymore, she was rumored living on the streets for quite a long time)

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island

''We will rock you'' I concede is a good arena song especially because the claps engage the spectators, even if I would never put that on my mp3 player.

Some songs are suited for sport events regardless of the genre, like ''Eye of the tiger'' or ''Final countdown'' for example.
I won't act like I agree with you on that opinion, because I don't. (My opinion I feel like I'm alone on, is that this is the best queen song...)
However, I understand how some people can't stand these songs and have different tastes. (seems like no one can agree on what is good music these days.)

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
They're terrible and all their songs are terrible.

Settle down!

Not that I'm a huge fan, but e.g."The Prophet's Song" is pretty good... My problem with them is that so many of their songs sound like a pastiche or something... and well, that Freddie Mercury was such a gay travesty (calling everyone "dear" and those constant tiresome sexual innuendos).

Last edited:

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I just bought a Muppet Show DVD (season 2), and I've been watching the episodes recently, the first time since the late 1980s, I think. Works pretty well still, although sometimes the corny jokes (often knowingly so, of course) get a bit too much, and it's occasionally too obvious that the show was made also (mostly?) for kids. I also had to sneer a bit when e.g. the guests Edgar Bergen and Rich Little are presented as a master ventriloquist and a master impersonator, respectively; neither seem to be very good, at least not when judged by today's standards.

Anyway. mostly good and funny stuff, brought back a lot of memories, and I had even managed to forget about a few recurring characters, like Crazy Harry and Robin ("Kermit's nephew"). I might purchase some more...

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Seeing Theo's avatar reminded me of how good Beavis & Butthead still is after all this time. I just watched 3 quick episodes. Magical.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

Never draw the faceoff in the direction of your own net or goalie.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I just bought a Muppet Show DVD (season 2), and I've been watching the episodes recently, the first time since the late 1980s, I think. Works pretty well still, although sometimes the corny jokes (often knowingly so, of course) get a bit too much, and it's occasionally too obvious that the show was made also (mostly?) for kids. I also had to sneer a bit when e.g. the guests Edgar Bergen and Rich Little are presented as a master ventriloquist and a master impersonator, respectively; neither seem to be very good, at least not when judged by today's standards.

Anyway. mostly good and funny stuff, brought back a lot of memories, and I had even managed to forget about a few recurring characters, like Crazy Harry and Robin ("Kermit's nephew"). I might purchase some more...

My most memorable Muppets show was with Linda Ronstadt as guest. Kermit's infatuation mirrored my own.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
My most memorable Muppets show was with Linda Ronstadt as guest. Kermit's infatuation mirrored my own.

I 've always liked the one with Steve Martin; not that I'm a big fan, but it's because it differs so much from the other episodes (= the show is cancelled and Kermit holds auditions for possible new acts instead, even Statler and Waldorf are performing!). Other memorable guests for me were Vincent Price and, for some reason, Cleo Laine... and when watching the shows now, the Peter Sellers episode is quite good, the funniest/creepiest moment being when Sellers tells Kermit that there is no him, personality-wise (Kermit: "Erm, can we talk about something else?" :laugh:).

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I 've always liked the one with Steve Martin; not that I'm a big fan, but it's because it differs so much from the other episodes (= the show is cancelled and Kermit holds auditions for possible new acts instead, even Statler and Waldorf are performing!). Other memorable guests for me were Vincent Price and, for some reason, Cleo Laine... and when watching the shows now, the Peter Sellers episode is quite good, the funniest/creepiest moment being when Sellers tells Kermit that there is no him, personality-wise (Kermit: "Erm, can we talk about something else?" :laugh:).

Big fan of Mr. Price. Renaissance man. Underrated actor. Great talk show guest.

Recall his reading of "The Tell Tale Heart" on the Mike Douglas show. Very cool, as in chilling.

Reactions: Tarantula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->