OT: Off Topic Thread: What Are You Watching? And Other Miscellaneous Things

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Hi everyone, I was hoping I could get some tips/advice from this sub. My work is doing a Secret Santa and the coworker I'm gifting for is a huge Islanders fan. I was wondering if anyone would have gift suggestions. I can only spend $10 and have to have the gift by Saturday, December 12th.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Can't go wrong with a mug! People use it in the office and usually like something provincial like your favourite team. They're a little more expensive than I thought but I found this one on Ebay which is pretty cool albeit a little small.....

NHL STANLEY CUP CRAZY MINI MUG NEW YORK ISLANDERS 1981 CHAMPS W/OPPONENT & SCORE | eBay

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Reactions: PWJunior

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
For the older posters, do you remember where you were 40 years ago on 12/8/80 when the news reports came in about John Lennon being shot? I had an intramural floor hockey game at Hofstra in the gym and heard reports on the radio during the ride home that he was shot. Then, like so many people, I heard he died from Howard Cosell during MNF (in one of the most blunt news reports of all time).

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For the older posters, do you remember where you were 40 years ago on 12/8/80 when the news reports came in about John Lennon being shot? I had an intramural floor hockey game at Hofstra in the gym and heard reports on the radio during the ride home that he was shot. Then, like so many people, I heard he died from Howard Cosell during MNF (in one of the most blunt news reports of all time).
I was at home watching MNF.

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

While I certainly recall the event vividly, I don't remember where I was.

On a remotely related topic, I was hanging out on the grass at Eisenhower Park on a warm late summer afternoon in 1981 waiting for Harry Chapin to perform.

He didn't make it. It took a while for the news of his death in a car accident on the LIE to spread throughout the crowd. Not a great memory.

Reactions: doublechili and MJF

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012

February 3, 1959
Does anyone know what day that was ? Don’t cheat now . See answer below.

Answer - The Day The Music Died.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Figured I'd give this a bump and see what people are watching these days.

Just finished John Wayne Gacy: Devil in Disguise on Peacock. I had read about Gacy before and knew a lot of the information but it was interesting getting all of the interviews in one place. There's some information at the end that was really glossed over when I initially read about Gacy years ago that provides some intrigue. Anyone else catch this?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not a huge fan of many TV shows nowadays days, but Clarice aka the Silence of the Lambs spin off into TV series, is pretty good for it's dark, crime mystery plots. That one has stuck.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
While I certainly recall the event vividly, I don't remember where I was.

On a remotely related topic, I was hanging out on the grass at Eisenhower Park on a warm late summer afternoon in 1981 waiting for Harry Chapin to perform.

He didn't make it. It took a while for the news of his death in a car accident on the LIE to spread throughout the crowd. Not a great memory.

Was 17, at a deli across from the Port Washington train station buying beer to head in for a Jimmy Buffet show (I had some weird friends) at Radio City when that Harry Chapin news came over the radio in the deli. Burned in my memory.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
For the old time Steve Martin and Martin Short fans, “Only Murder in the Building” is quite good. It’s on Hulu.
Watched the first episode. Was not intrigued or captured in anyway. Did it take time for you, or you liked it from episode 1?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I remember exactly, as that was a painful experience for me.

At the time, we had one phone in the house, on the main floor. Around midnight I was in bed asleep, having heard nothing about it, when the phone rang. In those days, you answered the phone, as it was usually serious at that time of night. Rushing downstairs, I slipped on the carpet and separated my shoulder.

The phone call was from a friend I'd known since high school (about ten years), who had just heard that Lennon had been shot. Her husband was out somewhere and she couldn't reach him (this was long before cell phones), so she called me.

I spent almost an hour cradling a separated shoulder, while trying to calm down a woman on the verge of hysterics, while being pretty upset about the news myself.

My (now ex-) wife slept through it.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I remember exactly, as that was a painful experience for me.

At the time, we had one phone in the house, on the main floor. Around midnight I was in bed asleep, having heard nothing about it, when the phone rang. In those days, you answered the phone, as it was usually serious at that time of night. Rushing downstairs, I slipped on the carpet and separated my shoulder.

The phone call was from a friend I'd known since high school (about ten years), who had just heard that Lennon had been shot. Her husband was out somewhere and she couldn't reach him (this was long before cell phones), so she called me.

I spent almost an hour cradling a separated shoulder, while trying to calm down a woman on the verge of hysterics, while being pretty upset about the news myself.

My (now ex-) wife slept through it.
Yes, I can see that you would not forget that! I almost gave you a "like" for this post, but somehow it seemed inappropriate considering the content.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I was in my dorm at Stony Brook playing with a hot freshman while MNF was on in the background. While the Lennon event was upsetting, I had to delay my upsettedness until after the joy, errr, completed.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes, I can see that you would not forget that! I almost gave you a "like" for this post, but somehow it seemed inappropriate considering the content.
Coincidentally, I have a John Lennon t-shirt with the chorus of Imagine on the back. I was wearing it one day this summer when a stranger commented on how appropriate it was. He'd heard on the radio that it was the 50th anniversary of the release of the single.

A couple of weeks ago I was wearing it again, when a friend posted on Facebook that it was the 50th anniversary of the release of the album in Britain.

I was wearing it yesterday when this thread popped up.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Coincidentally, I have a John Lennon t-shirt with the chorus of Imagine on the back. I was wearing it one day this summer when a stranger commented on how appropriate it was. He'd heard on the radio that it was the 50th anniversary of the release of the single.

A couple of weeks ago I was wearing it again, when a friend posted on Facebook that it was the 50th anniversary of the release of the album in Britain.

I was wearing it yesterday when this thread popped up.
You have a magic shirt or a magic touch. Let’s get you a magic islanders shirt.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Ted Lasso. I want to hear a Roy Kent chant for Barzal! Lol
He's here, he's there, he's every f... Ing where, he's Barzal, he's Barzal!

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Currently watching Lost for the 2nd time.

It's been about 4 years, and don't remember everything from the first go around, so it's been interesting to watch again.
What's it like second time. I was invested the first time but felt robbed in the end!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->