OT: Off Topic Thread: What Are You Watching? And Other Miscellaneous Things

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Another good one is grill up some roast beef with Peter Luger's steak sauce, mozzarella cheese, toasted roll. Can add some grilled mushrooms. The Luger sauce is the key.

Above reads as MMMMM MMMM good. A variation I make is put it on a fresh garlic bread to experience our 5th Stanley Cup. We called it the Roast Beef Delight. Will have to get some Peter Lugers sauce for next time . Thanks

Reactions: PWJunior

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
A few sandwiches I love from some local Italian delis. There’s this one in particular in Jersey City that does hot soppresata, hot capicola(or gabagool) with fresh mutz, sharp provolone, Italian long hots, sun dried tomatoes with some balsamic on an Italian long roll...amazing. They also do a chicken cutlet with hot or sweet capicola and choice of fresh mutz or provolone, with roasted peppers with a balsamic glaze on choice of round roll or Italian long roll. I usually ask them to add some shredded lettuce to add some texture.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Favorite part of Beefsteak Charlie's was the check.

Rerib 0.00
Rerib 0.00
Rerib 0.00
Rerib 0.00

And those unlimited pitchers of Milwaukee's Best...

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
As a former deli owner, I detest Subway. YBTW.

The bread is good. Everything inside, not so much.

Sliced turkey, brie cheese, sliced green apple, honey mustard is a good one. It works on hero, roll, or wrap.

Brendel's in Syosset has the Queen Anne, basically the same with smoked turkey and cheddar. Great choice.

I always had a thing for prosciutto, mozzarella cheese, spinach, some balsamic, press the roll in a panini press for a nice toast crunch.

That works great with any meat, btw.

Another good one is grill up some roast beef with Peter Luger's steak sauce, mozzarella cheese, toasted roll. Can add some grilled mushrooms. The Luger sauce is the key.

Dugan's in Woodbury has something like this. Fantastic.

Ideas in bold for those who don't want to make their own.

My fave is pretty much anything at Village Hero in Syosset. Probably start with the Bush. Chicken cutlet, bacon, mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, mayo. It's not even on the wall and it's their best seller. Or add hot sauce for a Burning Bush.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Ideas in bold for those who don't want to make their own.

My fave is pretty much anything at Village Hero in Syosset. Probably start with the Bush. Chicken cutlet, bacon, mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, mayo. It's not even on the wall and it's their best seller. Or add hot sauce for a Burning Bush.

Seems only logical if you add shaved parmesan, you get a .....

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
So you invented the grossest sandwich on earth?
One man's gross is another man's delicacy.

And if it helps, it's not a huge slab of liverwurst. Fried egg is primary, liverwurst and onion add flavor. I'm sure it would work with Pate' if you want to go upscale, but think of the poor geese.... :sarcasm:

Reactions: Duanesutter12

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Favorite part of Beefsteak Charlie's was the check.

Rerib 0.00
Rerib 0.00
Rerib 0.00
Rerib 0.00

And those unlimited pitchers of Milwaukee's Best...

My parents used to take us to I guess what was a little more upscale Beefsteak Charlie’s called Cookys Steak Pub. Had the all you could eat shrimp, the salad bar, and I remember a banana walnut bread that I would ask mom to bring some home in her pocketbook . I think it was on Old Country Rd in Hicksville or Westbury .

A couple months ago the Ireland courts ruled that Subway bread has a 5x higher sugar content than what would be considered bread. Bread should have 2% sugar but theirs has 10%. You can look it up of course for all the specifics. A franchise owner was trying to save money on taxes saying the bread was a public necessity but the court ruled it was so sweet it was ruled a confectionery product. So much for that healthy choice veggie combo sandwich they offer. LGI

Stay safe

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My parents used to take us to I guess what was a little more upscale Beefsteak Charlie’s called Cookys Steak Pub. Had the all you could eat shrimp, the salad bar, and I remember a banana walnut bread that I would ask mom to bring some home in her pocketbook . I think it was on Old Country Rd in Hicksville or Westbury .

A couple months ago the Ireland courts ruled that Subway bread has a 5x higher sugar content than what would be considered bread. Bread should have 2% sugar but theirs has 10%. You can look it up of course for all the specifics. A franchise owner was trying to save money on taxes saying the bread was a public necessity but the court ruled it was so sweet it was ruled a confectionery product. So much for that healthy choice veggie combo sandwich they offer. LGI

Stay safe
I remember Cooky's. My parents took us to lunch at one in Great Neck after my high school graduation. Cooky's Steak Pubs were all over NYC as well.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Stay safe

Haha, I just realized that it was actually Cooky's Steak Pub and not Beefsteak Charlie's that my family always went to when I was a kid. It was so long ago that I screwed up and mixed them up. Haha.

Old age is creeping up on me!

The Banana Bread, my grandmother stole so many loaves back then.

I remember Cooky's. My parents took us to lunch at one in Great Neck after my high school graduation. Cooky's Steak Pubs were all over NYC as well.

That was the one my family went to. Like a dumbass, I thought it was Beefsteak Charlie's.

The biorhythm machine in the lobby, I remember that vividly.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Haha, I just realized that it was actually Cooky's Steak Pub and not Beefsteak Charlie's that my family always went to when I was a kid. It was so long ago that I screwed up and mixed them up. Haha.

Old age is creeping up on me!

The Banana Bread, my grandmother stole so many loaves back then.

That was the one my family went to. Like a dumbass, I thought it was Beefsteak Charlie's.

The biorhythm machine in the lobby, i remember that vividly.
I remember the place was dark even in the daytime.

Reactions: PWJunior

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Stay safe
I went to Cooky's many times. Hicksville and Hempstead. Banana bread was legendary.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I just wanted to chime in RE Subway. As an exiled Long Islander I find it downright abhorrent that anyone living on Long Island would actually go to a Subway! Something is either wrong with you mentally or you clearly have no taste in food. Nothing.... Let me repeat this for effect..... NOTHING comes close to a New York sandwich. This is not debatable.

About 10 years ago I went back home and my brother somehow got on a Subway kick. I had to have the talk with him! It turns out he was getting tired of eating the same sandwiches over and over again. I listened with a sympathetic ear but could clearly see he wasn't keeping up with the times and was not willing to try newer more artisan type sandwiches. And while I appreciated his desire not to look like a pompous ass, I educated him on what he was missing out on with Bahn Mi and sandwiches centered around buffalo mozzarella. Now he has a healthy diet of foo foo sandwiches which has rekindled his love of nitrates. He enjoys buffalo mozzarella and still has his gabagool. Sometimes he even mixes them.

Moral of the story- if you live on Long Island and go to Subway you most likely voted for Kim Jong Un in the last election!

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
I invented a sandwich once (probably beaten to it by someone, but it was new to me). Fresh lightly toasted roll with slice of liverwurst, thin sliced onion, fried egg. Freakin' awesome.

Ha, when I worked in the deli at King Kullen in HS/college summers this was my manager's hangover cure sandwich. Always knew when Marty tied one on the night before.

A buddy of mine's brother owns Finn's Deli on Merrick Rd in Massapequa. Worth a stop if you're in the area...we always stop by for at least breakfast sandwiches when we're in town.

Reactions: doublechili

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Hi everyone, I was hoping I could get some tips/advice from this sub. My work is doing a Secret Santa and the coworker I'm gifting for is a huge Islanders fan. I was wondering if anyone would have gift suggestions. I can only spend $10 and have to have the gift by Saturday, December 12th.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hi everyone, I was hoping I could get some tips/advice from this sub. My work is doing a Secret Santa and the coworker I'm gifting for is a huge Islanders fan. I was wondering if anyone would have gift suggestions. I can only spend $10 and have to have the gift by Saturday, December 12th.

Hmm, that's a tough one for $10. Maybe an Isles face mask? Probably more than $10 though.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Prior to Trotz and Lou, I would've suggested Scotch. Cheap Scotch.

Reactions: PWJunior and MJF

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte

There's a bunch of stuff at the NHL Shop for <$10 after whatever promo/discounts they've got going but getting it in time is probably going to be an issue (plus shipping I assume). Maybe something on Amazon if you have prime so there's no shipping charges?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Hi everyone, I was hoping I could get some tips/advice from this sub. My work is doing a Secret Santa and the coworker I'm gifting for is a huge Islanders fan. I was wondering if anyone would have gift suggestions.

I can only spend $10 and have to have the gift by Saturday, December 12th.

Ten bucks will get you an autographed bundle of Andrew Ladd apparel. Including but not limited to - Helmet,gloves,stick,puck,sweater,photo,and reservations for 2 on his next fishing trip. Many bundles in stock ready for immediate shipment anywhere in the world.

Reactions: HollaHaula

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Thank you for your replies everyone! Hoping to get an Islanders face mask in the mail here by Saturday.

Ten bucks will get you an autographed bundle of Andrew Ladd apparel. Including but not limited to - Helmet,gloves,stick,puck,sweater,photo,and reservations for 2 on his next fishing trip. Many bundles in stock ready for immediate shipment anywhere in the world.

I thought about getting gag gift of an in-person dinner with Adam Gase (it being only $10 to arrange). But then I realized my coworker might get too excited at the opportunity of ripping Gase a new one to his face.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I thought about getting gag gift

We bought gag gift lottery tickets about 5 years ago. Even after we told grandma and grandpa it was a gag they were so excited they couldn’t hear us. I had to give her $500.00 cash and told her I would take it in . I’ll never do that gag again with old people involved . At least it wasn’t a $25,000 winner . LGI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad