OT: Off Topic Thread: What Are You Watching? And Other Miscellaneous Things

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Holy shit, Beefsteak Charlie's!

There was one on Northern Blvd. near our house in Great Neck growing up. My whole family used to go there religiously on weekends. My grandmother used to swipe loaves of the Banana Bread in her purse and that's what we'd have for dessert during the week! I remember the Bio Rhythm machine in the lobby when we were waiting for our seats!

Thinking about it right now brings a smile and a tear to my eye. My grandmother would bring her biggest purse preparing for battle. My grandfather loved the salad bar. I used to peel like a pound of the shrimp only to have my brother steal it from me. Shit, the memories.

Beefsteak Charlie's: Holy Crap. It was the Cedarhurst Rockaway Turnpike location for me.

Don't think they'd fare well with the salad bar concept in COVID times.

I'm sure the food probably sucked but I loved it as a kid.

CPlBmng.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: PWJunior

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Beefsteak Charlie's: Holy Crap. It was the Cedarhurst Rockaway Turnpike location for me.

For me it was the Forest Hills location.

One time, in band camp, I went with some co-workers on an all you can eat ribs night. By the time we were on our fourth plate of ribs the waitress was coming back with 4 ribs that looked like they came off a pigeon.

Do you think they were trying to tell us dinner was over?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

View attachment 378049

I haven't thought about Beefsteak Charlie's in decades until the post here. The memories just started flooding back, very fond memories of my beloved grandparents and dad. I don't really remember ever ordering an entree, I was content hitting the salad bar over and over.

I used to sit as far away from my brother as possible because of the chilled shrimp. I liked to peel it all first and then eat it, my brother would always manage to find a way to steal from me and I would get PISSED. I was a kid and he is 8 and a half years older so I always got screwed over.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
For me it was the Forest Hills location.

One time, in band camp, I went with some co-workers on an all you can eat ribs night. By the time we were on our fourth plate of ribs the waitress was coming back with 4 ribs that looked like they came off a pigeon.

Do you think they were trying to tell us dinner was over?

For me i grew up in the bronx. And we had a beefsteak charlies which we went to often.

Oh that and sizzler.

Reactions: MJF

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I haven't thought about Beefsteak Charlie's in decades until the post here. The memories just started flooding back, very fond memories of my beloved grandparents and dad. I don't really remember ever ordering an entree, I was content hitting the salad bar over and over.

I used to sit as far away from my brother as possible because of the chilled shrimp. I liked to peel it all first and then eat it, my brother would always manage to find a way to steal from me and I would get PISSED. I was a kid and he is 8 and a half years older so I always got screwed over.

Love hearing stuff like this. This is what social media should be about.

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Congrats to all for getting under the skin of a few people so that this conversation got moved.

Since there's zero going on in the hockey world I'll go off topic again.

How does anyone go to Subway? That $h!t is awful. Just went to Jersey Mike's for the second time in my life. $16 for a large sub ("Hero" to be more accurate). Not bad but not really worth it.

Go to any Italian deli worth its salt and you'll get a better sandwich for less $.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
How does anyone go to Subway? That $h!t is awful. Just went to Jersey Mike's for the second time in my life. $16 for a large sub ("Hero" to be more accurate). Not bad but not really worth it.

Subway is garbage. I didn't mind Jersey Mike's, but they put out a commercial a bit ago all about how they were changing the world for social justice. f*** off. Make the damn sandwich. I don't need the rest. So, I'm not going there any more.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Congrats to all for getting under the skin of a few people so that this conversation got moved.

Since there's zero going on in the hockey world I'll go off topic again.

Go to any Italian deli worth its salt and you'll get a better sandwich for less $.

Village Hero in Syosset on Jericho Tpke is great. Fred’s deli in Levittown makes a nice Godfather and many others. There is a great place in Astoria that beats them all. Sal,Kris,and Charlie’s Italian sandwich shop. You would eat half and take half home or share.. You could stop there and then roll on down to Jackson Hole for New York’s best burgers. It’s a good thing I don’t live in Astoria.

Reactions: eoin92

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Village Hero in Syosset on Jericho Tpke is great. Fred’s deli in Levittown makes a nice Godfather and many others. There is a great place in Astoria that beats them all. Sal,Kris,and Charlie’s Italian sandwich shop. You would eat half and take half home or share.. You could stop there and then roll on down to Jackson Hole for New York’s best burgers. It’s a good thing I don’t live in Astoria.

It's an even better thing you don't live in East Bumf@#k.

Subway would be your only choice.

I try to avoid chain stores but on rare occasions I break that rule and usually regret it.

Mom and Pop places are the life blood and character of our communities. Support 'em or lose 'em.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Sandwich king of Astoria! Fantastic sandwiches. Haven’t been there in a while, but I used it get the bomb. It was good for two meals.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Awesome... sandwich talk! Anyone into McRibs?

Just kidding. There used to be a place near my work in the Philly suburbs where the guy made an amazing Italian hoagie (sorry, "sub"). He'd get the hard crusty rolls from Philly every day and he put quality prosciutto, capicola, sharp provolone, peppers, etc. on it and sell if for like $5. He closed up after a year or two - probably because he was losing money on the sandwiches!

I invented a sandwich once (probably beaten to it by someone, but it was new to me). Fresh lightly toasted roll with slice of liverwurst, thin sliced onion, fried egg. Freakin' awesome.

Reactions: eoin92

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

Just kidding. There used to be a place near my work in the Philly suburbs where the guy made an amazing Italian hoagie (sorry, "sub"). He'd get the hard crusty rolls from Philly every day and he put quality prosciutto, capicola, sharp provolone, peppers, etc. on it and sell if for like $5. He closed up after a year or two - probably because he was losing money on the sandwiches!

I invented a sandwich once (probably beaten to it by someone, but it was new to me). Fresh lightly toasted roll with slice of liverwurst, thin sliced onion, fried egg. Freakin' awesome.
Gonna have to give that one a shot. Also, hero, not sub.

Reactions: The Real JT

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

So you invented the grossest sandwich on earth?

Reactions: Bones45

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
So you invented the grossest sandwich on earth?

If it was meant to be eaten it would have been called liverbest.

we have all had PB&J. Make yourself a PB&J on rye toast and experience a whole new enlightening..
LGI - stay safe all

Reactions: BrockLobster

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's an even better thing you don't live in East Bumf@#k.

Subway would be your only choice.

I try to avoid chain stores but on rare occasions I break that rule and usually regret it.

Mom and Pop places are the life blood and character of our communities. Support 'em or lose 'em.

As a former deli owner, I detest Subway. Yuck.

Sliced turkey, brie cheese, sliced green apple, honey mustard is a good one. It works on hero, roll, or wrap.

I always had a thing for prosciutto, mozzarella cheese, spinach, some balsamic, press the roll in a panini press for a nice toast crunch.

Another good one is grill up some roast beef with Peter Luger's steak sauce, mozzarella cheese, toasted roll. Can add some grilled mushrooms. The Luger sauce is the key.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
As a former deli owner, I detest Subway. Yuck.

Sliced turkey, brie cheese, sliced green apple, honey mustard is a good one. It works on hero, roll, or wrap.

I always had a thing for prosciutto, mozzarella cheese, spinach, some balsamic, press the roll in a panini press for a nice toast crunch.

Another good one is grill up some roast beef with Peter Luger's steak sauce, mozzarella cheese, toasted roll. Can add some grilled mushrooms. The Luger sauce is the key.
Was Subway even selling real turkey roll? Or was it pressed together turkey guts?

Now let's talk about their "meatball" hero.:laugh:

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad