OT: Off-Topic, again.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Travel OT for everyone. This is Southwest related and I have flown them so many times I should have realized this but wanted to share just in case any of you are not aware...

As you know you can basically rebook Southwest flights without a fee. You can also then use travel credits to reduce the cost of upcoming flights. All flights that you book and cancel basically have a 1 year clock on the funds to use but there is an exception and this is a very important nuance to understand.

If you use travel funds towards a flight then the new flight will adopt the expiration date of the credit in use. To put this into perspective, let's say you have ~$2 in travel credits expiring in August. You see a flight for August and think I'll go ahead and book that. Worst case scenario I know I'm going to book another flight before August 2022 so no real risk here. You then apply that $2 credit that is expiring in August 2021... and now that entire fare value has an expiration of August 2021, not August 2022.

Fortunately this hasn't burned us yet but we accidentally discovered it when changing a flight we have next week to a later time and saved ~$60/person. Couldn't figure out why the funds expired in August 2021 until I did some research and realized this nuance that I don't believe they describe very clearly when applying travel funds to your itinerary. No big deal really since being able to change for 'free' is basically a benefit relative to other airlines and was a good way to learn about the expiration deal.

There you have it. Hopefully this saves at least one person from making a massive mistake. We've been playing this game for a long time and now that I think about it I'm really shocked we haven't been burned at least once.

Reactions: Adz

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
C55A1B00-10F7-441F-BEAC-E02276804FA8.jpeg 1F2D8F01-B34A-4E25-B4E0-0AFB48DED3E8.jpeg C5547343-D74F-4E84-9E02-A7D445E1BD01.jpeg CE60D650-73C7-44DF-A4C6-5FB1D2F5D489.jpeg CE875F03-F32D-4A08-A7E2-9053DB5D86CB.jpeg E444BAAF-C3DD-4989-8158-381DF149B3E0.jpeg Barcelona G rated

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well, despite the fact that my job keeps sending me stuff I urgently need to do today, I'm supposedly on vacation and will be going out of town. Won't have much in the way of devices, phone is it, so if you don't hear from me I'm probably not dead.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Well, despite the fact that my job keeps sending me stuff I urgently need to do today, I'm supposedly on vacation and will be going out of town. Won't have much in the way of devices, phone is it, so if you don't hear from me I'm probably not dead.

If you vanish of FB then I'll send the Hermitage based search party.

Reactions: Adz

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Dislocated my shoulder last night. 5AM my sleep schedule is all messed up.

EDIT: You still scream in pain when you are under.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
We were on the beach until 3 or so. *Then* we went to the pool. It's a little shaded and this melanin deprived person was burning, despite multiple applications of spf 50.

Enjoy!

My admin likes to go down to Panama City.

I assume that you have the same white sand beaches in Seaside.

Reactions: sparkle twin

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Enjoy!

My admin likes to go down to Panama City.

I assume that you have the same white sand beaches in Seaside.
I love Panama city beach. That white sand is what makes the gulf beaches better than other beaches. I'll be there in August! I didn't go last year because of covid and I've been having withdrawals!

Redneck Rivera is the perfect description!

Reactions: BigFatCat999

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Personally a bigger fan of Sand Key. Gives you an idea of what the beaches in the gulf would look like if not for all the grooming. White it's not. You can actually see the shells in various sizes and states.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
The white sand is all they have in common. Seaside is the Pleasantville of Gulf beach towns whereas PCB is the heart and soul of the Redneck Riviera.
Yeah, it's a bit Stepford here, but Sis really likes it. We were mainly coming to see my oldest friend. I've known her since we were 2. She was diagnosed with dementia last year but covid hit and we couldn't come then. Her daughter posted on FB a few weeks ago that she didn't recognize her so we realized it was possibly now or never. So Sis found a place on the fly and we juggled our schedules at work. Martha was having a good day so she knew us. It's sad, though. We were originally just going to fly in but both of us needed a beach so we took a few days.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Yeah, it's a bit Stepford here, but Sis really likes it. We were mainly coming to see my oldest friend. I've known her since we were 2. She was diagnosed with dementia last year but covid hit and we couldn't come then. Her daughter posted on FB a few weeks ago that she didn't recognize her so we realized it was possibly now or never. So Sis found a place on the fly and we juggled our schedules at work. Martha was having a good day so she knew us. It's sad, though. We were originally just going to fly in but both of us needed a beach so we took a few days.

So glad you got a lucid day. Dementia is the cruelest of diseases. My dad was widely recognized as one of the top legal minds in KY and a speech he gave when he was in the state Senate is still cited today. And then for the last year of his life the only coherent phrase he could say was "oh shit!"

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Basically if you're from Mid-TN and you've heard of a beach in FL... it's an overcrowded tourist trap. Best part of living there was knowing where to go to avoid all that. Of course it helps not having to book a hotel and look for restaurants too, so you can get away with the more unknown places.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->