OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXI - Punxsutawney Phil says EARLY SPRING!!!!! ( We are doomed )

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I have been a photographer for 10 years. I regret not learning film cameras.
Old technology in original cameras was groundbreaking.

I learned on my father's Canon T90, which later became mine. Used film, was the very last professional Canon with manual focus, and still the best camera I've ever owned. I used to challenge a coworker to action shots. He had a Nikon F4, full autofocus, top of the line, and that damn Canon beat him every time. His shots were either out of focus or out of frame, mine were spot on.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
So today my stepdad took my mom to the sporting goods store. While he was looking at something she went over and looked at the golf clubs. "They are so nice these days! I was looking at one and thought I could go out and hit a drive pretty far with it!"

She'll be 83 in July. You go, mom! :heart:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I learned on my father's Canon T90, which later became mine. Used film, was the very last professional Canon with manual focus, and still the best camera I've ever owned. I used to challenge a coworker to action shots. He had a Nikon F4, full autofocus, top of the line, and that damn Canon beat him every time. His shots were either out of focus or out of frame, mine were spot on.

Canon makes a great rig, no doubt about it.

My Nikon D-7000 is getting long in the tooth. I"m sure I've got well over 25,000 clicks. The aperture dial is barely working and my auto focus only works on some of my lenses. This camera has been my life-changer and it has been well loved and has yielded income.
I'm looking up upgrade to probably a D-500 (not sure yet). I dabbled in thinking about full frame, but I don't shoot enough to warrant one and I don't like the herky-jerky precision needed.

and agree with you....
If I'm shooting macro I always use manual focus...using manual is underrated.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Canon makes a great rig, no doubt about it.

My Nikon D-7000 is getting long in the tooth. I"m sure I've got well over 25,000 clicks. The aperture dial is barely working and my auto focus only works on some of my lenses. This camera has been my life-changer and it has been well loved and has yielded income.
I'm looking up upgrade to probably a D-500 (not sure yet). I dabbled in thinking about full frame, but I don't shoot enough to warrant one and I don't like the herky-jerky precision needed.

and agree with you....
If I'm shooting macro I always use manual focus...using manual is underrated.

The D-7000 is a great camera!

I've got Canon enthusiast level gear now, don't shoot enough to spend pro-level money. I left the professional gig a long time ago. In the early 90's, in addition to weddings, proms, etc. my main gig was as a photographer at the water park that inspired this movie :

The Wiki page for the actual park is one of the funniest (and horrifying) things you will ever read: Action Park - Wikipedia

No lie, one of my jobs was to take pictures of the various injuries people sustained. As the golf carts decked out as mini ambulances rode by, they'd stop by my booth so I could get pictures for insurance purposes. Place was crazy!

Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Made two visits to the HHOF while in Hogtown plus Phantom....

Saw old Maple Leaf Gardens ..hate to admit it, but I like the city.

Les Miz is there in August...will be going back..
My daughter and I went to a B's vs Leafs game in Dec of 2014. Toronto is a beautiful city.

Their fans saw us and said "Oh no ...Bruins fans:" but they were nice and we had fun. It had been only 1/2 year since the B's game 7 come back game at the Garden so I get their pain.

I always say this and so far it is still true ...In my 18 years as a STH the Leaf fans are the best and also there are always many of them.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
People never realize that cats are just smaller versions of tigers and other big cats. They're literally killing machines. :laugh:

Cats Kill Billions of Animals a Year | Live Science
My 18 pound Maine Coon Frodo Baggins is very protective of my much smaller girl kitty Luna.

My sister's terrier (who weighs the same as Frodo) went after Luna and Frodo went after that dog. He holds a grudge forever and wants to kill the dog. My money would be on Frodo.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I got a new car today.

Stayed with the Subaru Crosstrek and a lease but got a new color and more bells and whistles.

So much for just a new wiper blade.
I will be getting a new car in a year of two and am considering the Crosstrek. My sis has one.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
So today my stepdad took my mom to the sporting goods store. While he was looking at something she went over and looked at the golf clubs. "They are so nice these days! I was looking at one and thought I could go out and hit a drive pretty far with it!"

She'll be 83 in July. You go, mom! :heart:

that`s great, I love watching active seniors, they make me feel so lazy

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
He holds a grudge forever
I don't know why but this made me laugh :laugh:

I believe it though!

pgIYaVtgoCYVO.gif

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
that`s great, I love watching active seniors, they make me feel so lazy
Lol you and me both. My mom has some health issues but at that age who doesn't? Really she's in great shape overall, a lot better than other ladies I know in her age range.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Lol you and me both. My mom has some health issues but at that age who doesn't? Really she's in great shape overall, a lot better than other ladies I know in her age range.

nice, I worked as the Director of Food and Beverage at an upscale Senior`s complex a decade or so ago, those seniors who stayed active, got out for shopping journey`s or other outings stayed vibrant, then there were other`s who were less inclined to do much more than stay on campus and did so not because of health issues who I think could have maximized there time better if they took part in other activities

It was a very good senior`s complex, always an absolute ton of activities and outings for the residents to go on if they wish and everyone was encouraged but not told to get involved

Played golf a couple years back at my home course in Nova Scotia with a 91 year old member, was now hitting from the forward tee`s but he still walked the course and stayed active....inspiring

Reactions: Bruinaura

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Congrats to humble warrior of the Canadian soccer pitch Christine Sinclair. At age 36 becoming the all time leading international goal scorer in the history of soccer (men and women). Yesterday scoring her 185th goal to pass Abby Wambach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->