OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XX - Neil Peart, drummer and primary lyricist for Rush, dead at 67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
So I quit playing hockey in 2000, age 38, after a severe shoulder injured caused while playing.
Saturday, my 22 year old daughter asks me to go public skating. I literally took 1/4 of an inch of
dust off my 451 Super Tacks. Felt tongues were stuck to the sides and needed to be peeled apart.
Thought it would be like riding a bike once i hit the ice, but it took longer than I thought. 10 minutes in ,
my hips were sore. Going from forward skating to backward was like nothing before, but now, it was
an adventure, as was a hockey stop. I think a lot of it is I am super concerned about falling and hurting my
self. I'm not young anymore, and have already fallen once with a serious injury. I really miss the game, and
can understand why players hang on for as long as they can.

I encourage anyone who is playing to continue to play for as long as you can.
LOL: Did the same thing after 25+ years . I too thought it wouldn't be a problem. Went to shift around my grandson, caught skates and we both went down....BUT he got right up. It was not a successful return. I went again last Sunday and Monday morning I woke up sucking air and thinking that I had damaged myself in some weird way but I guess basically my body was in shock from the overexertion. I played my last game when my exwife left and I was a single dad and I couldn't leave my very young daughter to my mother until 2 am. I thought once I started my own business and remarried (some day) I would pick up where I left off. Never happened. Now my grandkids are playing and the old guy is tagging along LOL...As they say "You can't go home."

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
LOL: Did the same thing after 25+ years . I too thought it wouldn't be a problem. Went to shift around my grandson, caught skates and we both went down....BUT he got right up. It was not a successful return. I went again last Sunday and Monday morning I woke up sucking air and thinking that I had damaged myself in some weird way but I guess basically my body was in shock from the overexertion. I played my last game when my exwife left and I was a single dad and I couldn't leave my very young daughter to my mother until 2 am. I thought once I started my own business and remarried (some day) I would pick up where I left off. Never happened. Now my grandkids are playing and the old guy is tagging along LOL...As they say "You can't go home."

I finally had to quit softball at age 36- I had rotator cuff surgery at 30 and an unrelated back injury at 33. I was spending so much time recovering from practice (3 times a week) just to play one game on Sunday I finally said (actually my body said) enough of this. I tried working with my nephew when he was playing Little League but it did not go well lol

Reactions: Fenway and Strafer

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Let's face it - Boeing STILL does not have a fix for the software on the Max 737 and they may well have to scrap the plane and issue refunds to all the airlines that bought it. That would be the end of Boeing.

Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg resigns

The reality is who would want to be a passenger on this plane going forward?

I wouldn't mind being a passenger on that plane if it were going forward - it's the going down part I'm nervous about! But Boeing found a way to avoid the news cycle - dump him right before Christmas. My friend had some Boeing stock, but 9 or so months ago when the crash happened, he sold - I agree, didn't smell right the way Boeing was handling things. Yes, everyone else was selling too, and it was going down, but he made the right choice. Oddly enough, the market seems to be happy the CEO's gone - BA is up 2.4% today.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Let's face it - Boeing STILL does not have a fix for the software on the Max 737 and they may well have to scrap the plane and issue refunds to all the airlines that bought it. That would be the end of Boeing.

Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg resigns

The reality is who would want to be a passenger on this plane going forward?
A guy I went to high school with has worked for Boeing for years, since the early 90s. Hope he wasn't on that project!

Hard to fathom a company like Boeing having this kind of manufacturing nightmare.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Picked up my Walmart grocery order. Total wait time was approximately one minute before they brought it out. :eek: Went to Panera to get an egg souffle, hardly anybody there. It's two days before Christmas. I think the world is coming to an end :laugh:

Reactions: Strafer and LSCII

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
A guy I went to high school with has worked for Boeing for years, since the early 90s. Hope he wasn't on that project!

Hard to fathom a company like Boeing having this kind of manufacturing nightmare.

I was reading an article about this some time ago (I will try to find the link) and the author suggested that part of the problem with Boeing is that by moving corporate headquarters to Chicago from the main location in Washington state the disconnect that usually exists between corporate and production was actually made worse- oversight was made much more difficult and production couldn't get corporate's attention w/r/t problems with the plane- an interesting idea I thought.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Google 'Boeing MBTA' and get back to me

greenline.jpg

Boston to a T: YAY History: MBTA LRV's

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
The one in Somerville is a claustrophobic nightmare. It's one of the smallest if not the smallest one.
They really pack'em in there. I talked to a gm at another Market Basket and he was bragging how they implemented his plan to add an extra isle to the Somerville store. I said "great, thanks for the warning."
He looked displeased.
There was one in the north shore that was small that I stopped at last summer and it was small too, but Somerville beats them all. As a kid I worked at Johnnie's Foodmaster on Beacon St. Somerville and it was the Market Basket of the seventies. The holidays were insane there but as a slightly hyperactive teenager with too much energy I loved every minute of it. We bagboys would race to see who could bag the most groceries and bring them out to customers cars (in special 2 wheel carts). Made out great from mid November thru to New Years with tips galore.
I worked three doors up (across Buckingham St) from Johnnies for about 6 years, before we moved into the renovated Somerville Hospital for our offices. I think Johnnie's is now a Whole Foods.

Yesterday, we survived Target (where I told off a woman coming in through the exit door and expecting us to move for her), Sprouts and Fry's (AZ version of Market Basket). Crazy busy at all three places. And you wouldn't believe the traffic getting into the outlets, where I had to pass by to get to Gila River to ref.

Reactions: Kovi and Strafer

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Yes, kinda what makes your SNL post with Eddie Murphy so appropriate! It's like he lives in Somerville...
We have a friend out here (who actually knows @Kate08 from her running club) who grew up in Somerville, and he's posted about his childhood home (like 900 square feet if I remember right), selling for 800K. Just crazy how expensive stuff is back there.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Picked up my Walmart grocery order. Total wait time was approximately one minute before they brought it out. :eek: Went to Panera to get an egg souffle, hardly anybody there. It's two days before Christmas. I think the world is coming to an end :laugh:
Yep 5 stops today at gourmet joints, it's not busy more than usual. Not complaining. :laugh:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
We have a friend out here (who actually knows @Kate08 from her running club) who grew up in Somerville, and he's posted about his childhood home (like 900 square feet if I remember right), selling for 800K. Just crazy how expensive stuff is back there.
My parents bought the house I spent most of my childhood in back in 1977 for somewhere in the vicinity of $75,000. It was 2200 square feet on a half acre lot. We sold it in 1992 for around $200k. I just looked it up on Zillow and they're estimating it at $411k. :eek:

Crazy. We were I think only the third family in that neighborhood when we moved in, surrounded by woods and corn fields. Now it's houses everywhere you look. I loved growing up there but wouldn't want to live there now.

Of course, the same thing is happening where I live now. :(

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I'm done packing woooo!

I definitely over packed for 4 days but my suitcase is only 30lbs :)
I don't like packing and am generally terrible at it. Wish I had paid more attention to my dad when he packed. And he loaded the car like he was playing Tetris. If you had to make something fit, he was your guy.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I don't like packing and am generally terrible at it. Wish I had paid more attention to my dad when he packed. And he loaded the car like he was playing Tetris. If you had to make something fit, he was your guy.
My dad was pretty good at getting things to fit on the first try. Me, It takes me a little bit.

Getting all your liquids into 1 quart sized bag is a combo of a rubix cube and tetris. I checked my shampoo and all of that which has made a world of difference.

What is killing me is my camera. It is much easier to travel with it apart but I forgot how clunky my case gets when both lenses are in it. For all you photographers out there, do you reccomend me keeping my camera assembled through security and then taking it apart or should I leave it apart from the start?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My parents bought their house in May 1985 for like $85,000 and my mom recently was told that if the market stays hot she's looking at getting almost $500K and the house is less than 1,200 sq ft.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
First day of vacation today.

Went to a 6am spin class then hit Market Basket, Ocean State Job Lot, Stop and Shop, the Paper Store, Trader Joe’s, Target, Costco, and Total Wine by 11:30. Went home, put all the shit away, showered, and just grabbed a toasted white mocha from Starbucks and lowered myself into the chair for a much needed mani/pedi.

rewarding yourself is so much more...rewarding...after being productive.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yup and the flavor of the area as a whole has changed dramatically. It had a funky, down-to-Earth feel about it back when. Up until the late eighties Beacon St had a new car dealership and a few used car dealerships there. Dodakins motors was on the corner of Beacon and Park St's and IMO was a historical old gas station/used car lot. The city of Somerville should have found a way to preserve that building even though it needed some serious upkeep. Of course now there's a nondescript, high priced condominium building there to take its place. There were 2 used car dealers on the corner of Beacon and Kirkland Sts that are gone. Of course it sounds like I'm mourning the loss of some great institutions and I'm not but since I went to high school in Cambridge (a half mile away) I used to work and walk by that area daily. I would stop by the used car dealerships and salivate over the chrome and shiny fenders and when I would see a cigar smokin' leisure suited used car salesman coming up to me wreaking of Bourbon, I would take off.
In the last few years Somerville put in bike lanes with raised islands that, if you aren't careful when you come out of streets like Sacramento St. you can do a lot of expensive damage to your vehicle. It's festooned with expensive coffee houses and eateries, I guess that's why places like R. F. O'Sullivans is still doing well there. Now when I'm in that area don't feel at home anymore. Besides vehicular traffic you have to deal with hostile bicyclists who ride as though the the traffic rules don't apply to them and those who are looking down at their phones as they're crossing streets. It's just another area to fight my way through on the way to whatever destination. I don't remember the last time for instance that I parked or did any business in Inman Sq.

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Went to a 6am spin class then hit Market Basket, Ocean State Job Lot, Stop and Shop, the Paper Store, Trader Joe’s, Target, Costco, and Total Wine by 11:30. Went home, put all the **** away, showered, and just grabbed a toasted white mocha from Starbucks and lowered myself into the chair for a much needed mani/pedi.

Wow, you got a lot done! I'm tired just reading all that lol.

I'm not a mani/pedi person myself. I probably should be though. :laugh:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Went to a 6am spin class then hit Market Basket, Ocean State Job Lot, Stop and Shop, the Paper Store, Trader Joe’s, Target, Costco, and Total Wine by 11:30. Went home, put all the **** away, showered, and just grabbed a toasted white mocha from Starbucks and lowered myself into the chair for a much needed mani/pedi.

So true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad