OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XX - Neil Peart, drummer and primary lyricist for Rush, dead at 67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The best Bug

25952039128_f1b1de5cc2_b.jpg

Reactions: BMC

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Because I was working the Winter Classic I didn't see this commercial that started trending on Twitter

I had a bug with no gas gauge - instead, it had an emergency tank if you ran out. Also, the heater never worked.

I've posted this a couple of places....

My first car was a white Bug with auto-stickshift ( I learned for real on a later car). His name was Bugsy - after Don Awrey - and I put 200,000 miles on two motors. He took me to a lot a Bruins games in Atlanta and DC.

Miss him much.....Blessings Bugsy.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Anybody follow the Whole30 food program?
I don't, but in reading up on it, it has many detractors. This is from the Wikipedia article on it:

Overall the Whole30 diet is nutritionally unsound; while its emphasis on protein and whole foods is aligned with mainstream advice, dieticians have criticized it for its restrictive nature, its "bizarre" exclusions, and its possible negative effects on dieters' social lives. In 2019, it was ranked 38th out of 41 diets by U.S. News & World Report.[4]

Whole30 - Wikipedia

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
My Lyft driver commented on how good my apartment complex security was. I wanted to tell her it better be since I'm paying over 1500 a month in rent. I went with a simple thank you instead.

I normally would just take the bus but this idiot forgot to put money on her Charlie card on New Year's Eve and didn't have enough to take the bus. Epic fail on my part.

Fingers crossed the $20 I spent this morning lands me a job.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Anybody follow the Whole30 food program?
Imo it's the best diet ever. I did it for 4 months lost over 40 pounds with only 30 minutes brisk walks after each meal.
I got really energized as the food gives you all the energy needed and no cravings. You eat until you're full, no calories count. But you only eat food that's good for your body.

Every diet is different and everyone reacts differently. They take the approach to eliminate every food that might be harmful to the body. Usually it's a 30 day hence the whole 30. But for those who suffer from certain diseases like autoimmune diseases and diabetes the diet takes several months for the full effect.

I highly recommend it, best way to start first you need all the info so you can prepare for it. And like anything else... you need to buy into it. Start with this
13193855.jpg

Good luck.

Edit; I was only 40 pounds overweight.

Last edited:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
So because Ted Bundy drove one, that means nobody else should?
What @BMC said. Volkswagen literally means "people's car". It's got a murky history, but so do a lot of car makers. I just think it's odd how we all associate 'bugs' with quirky & fun when they were created in and championed by such a dark time/person in world history. Hilter really had his hands into the beetle.

This stuff was beaten into me as a child, same reason I still won't drive a Mitsubishi haha (they build the Zero for Japan).

Reactions: HockeyMomx2 and BMC

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Hi everyone.

I hope this is ok.

If not, mods please delete.

My neighbor is a single mom of 3 who gets no help from her ex.

Her son is a very good varsity HS hockey player who has had bad luck with sticks over the past 3 days....broke 2 new composites, one a Christmas gift and is using an old one right now.

The mom doesn’t have the money for a new one and as much as I’d like to help I really don’t have the extra dough and she’d probably not let me buy a new one anyway.

If anyone has a decent spare that’s just collecting dust, that they’d be willing to part with, I’d be happy to drive 45 minutes or so from the Andover area.

He shoots right.
Thanks and apologies if this is off sides.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Can`t stand this time of year as a big Christmas fan, tree and house decorations coming down and sneaking the tree into the dumpster as we are in a condo community that doesn`t allow real trees but I refuse to put a fake one up

Thankfully I received an email from Sandals asking us for our restaurant reservation requests for our 2nd Anniversary stay in Barbados. 66 more sleeps so that`s what I`ll cling to on these long January and February days and nights

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Hi everyone.

I hope this is ok.

Her son is a very good varsity HS hockey player who has had bad luck with sticks over the past 3 days....broke 2 new composites, one a Christmas gift and is using an old one right now.

The mom doesn’t have the money for a new one and as much as I’d like to help I really don’t have the extra dough and she’d probably not let me buy a new one anyway.

If anyone has a decent spare that’s just collecting dust, that they’d be willing to part with, I’d be happy to drive 45 minutes or so from the Andover area.

He shoots right.
You're a good dude, Al. I have 4 older righty sticks, but it's probably more to ship them from AZ than they are worth. Plus, knowing kids today, his "backup" is probably a better stick than any of mine.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
You're a good dude, Al. I have 4 older righty sticks, but it's probably more to ship them from AZ than they are worth. Plus, knowing kids today, his "backup" is probably a better stick than any of mine.

Thanks for the kind words.

My daughter just reminded me about Play it Again Sports...

I may rake a ride there tomorrow morning to see what they have used.

Or I may try to talk the wife into getting him a gift card for a couple hundred and tell him it’s an early graduation present.

Reactions: sooshii

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think he was referring to the fact that the Volkswagen was championed by none other than Adolf Hitler, who makes Bundy look like a Sunday school teacher in the mass murder department.

To be fair Hitler championed the project but it was not introduced until after the war.

Volkswagen took off in the US with some very creative commercials in the 60's

vw-beetle-advert-1962-and-if-you-run-out-of-gas-its-easy-to-push-nomad-art-and-design.jpg

1c4697ade5e3e9ff0dc48473f83165c6.jpg

Reactions: Runner77 and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Braintree Stop & Shop on 316 Grove Street is planning a special ceremony for San Miguel on Friday at 11 a.m., Maria Fruci, Manager, External Communications & Community Relations, Stop & Shop said.

Together with state Sen. Walter F. Timilty of the Norfolk, Bristol and Plymouth District and chairperson of the Joint Committee on Veterans and Federal Affairs, Louis San Miguel will be presented with a citation for his selfless service serving in the United States Army 103rd Infantry Division in France, Germany and Italy during World War II. Louis recently turned 95 on Dec. 28.

He and his wife, Lucille, have been married more than 67 years and have lived for 52 years in the same house in Braintree where they raised four daughters, born between 1953 and 1959, all with names starting with the letter L: Linda and Laura, both in Florida, Loretta in Revere and Lois in Dedham.

San Miguel started at the Stop and Shop as a cashier 20 years ago when he was 74. A few years earlier, he had retired from the Bank of Boston, where he was an assistant vice president.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Hi everyone.

I hope this is ok.

He shoots right.
I gave away all my equipment years ago but I'd be happy to amazon something if play it again sports doesn't work out. I don't know what a decent stick runs these days but it's the holidays and I'd rather spend a couple bucks helping someone tangibly than throwing it into some mega charity where it'll barely impact the ground. You can just say I had them/it laying around and wasn't using them/it.

Happy to take it to PMs if you want to go this route. Just an option.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I gave away all my equipment years ago but I'd be happy to amazon something if play it again sports doesn't work out. I don't know what a decent stick runs these days but it's the holidays and I'd rather spend a couple bucks helping someone tangibly than throwing it into some mega charity where it'll barely impact the ground. You can just say I had them/it laying around and wasn't using them/it.

Happy to take it to PMs if you want to go this route. Just an option.

Thank you so much!

My other neighbor just texted me an hour ago and told me that his nephew is a rep for a sporting goods company and is going to hook him up.

So nice to be reminded how many good people still exist!

Thanks again!

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Thank you so much!

My other neighbor just texted me an hour ago and told me that his nephew is a rep for a sporting goods company and is going to hook him up.

So nice to be reminded how many good people still exist!

Thanks again!
That's awesome. Things go sideways, my PMs are open. Good to know there's people like you around looking out for their neighbors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad