OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XX - Neil Peart, drummer and primary lyricist for Rush, dead at 67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The character of George Bailey makes that movie extremely difficult for me to watch. I’ve seen horribly disturbing and depressing films, but for whatever reason that one really gets to me. It’s way more unsettling and over the top than it has to be.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My daughter was having trouble sleeping tonight from a belly ache. I gave her a single tums tablet, grape flavored and she immediately perked up. Amazing. Before she fell asleep her eyes lit up suddenly and she asked, “daddy do you think Santa is gonna come for me this year?” Knowing mom and i came through in the clutch, co parenting champions we are, i say yes of course you’ve been so great this year and I’m sure santa will bring you lots of gifts.

Queue a big ass grin from her and then she fell asleep so fast.

and I’m a f***ing blubbering mess. Kids are the sweetest most innocent little miracles and i don’t deserve em.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My daughter was having trouble sleeping tonight from a belly ache. I gave her a single tums tablet, grape flavored and she immediately perked up. Amazing. Before she fell asleep her eyes lit up suddenly and she asked, “daddy do you think Santa is gonna come for me this year?” Knowing mom and i came through in the clutch, co parenting champions we are, i say yes of course you’ve been so great this year and I’m sure santa will bring you lots of gifts.

Queue a big ass grin from her and then she fell asleep so fast.

and I’m a ****ing blubbering mess. Kids are the sweetest most innocent little miracles and i don’t deserve em.

Love and enjoy every minute of your child ‘believing’. It is so short lived and precious.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Love and enjoy every minute of your child ‘believing’. It is so short lived and precious.
^^Exactly! I brought up my daughter alone (well, with help from my parents) when my ex-wife left with someone else because the "walls were closing in."
I was a single parent for 7 years when I met my present wife. My daughter and I had some tough years. Too many sad stories from that time to tell here but now she's a SP-ED teacher with 3 kids and one more on the way. Her husband, her childhood sweetheart is a principal. I am, we are blessed. I have a great relationship with her, her husband and the kids and life is pretty good. I wish though that things could've gone differently with her mom and we could've lived without the court battles for her custody when she was embarrassed by her friends and family for what she did, she came back and fought for not only custody but more money. The rest of the story is bittersweet but the ending is really sweet. My daughter is in love with her hubby and kids and I'm very lucky that she always kept her head on straight and that even though her childhood and innocence were cut short by the woman that birthed her, she's a stable woman. Daughter, mother and me have all pretty much reconciled and we now live in peace (ex wife and her hubby me and my wife are on friendly terms) and life is good.... Merry Christmas to all here.

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Rise of Skywalker...

I was entertained as a film goer, but talk about shitting all over the established canon...

It’s like dragon ball z levels of brokenness.

Time to invest in the despecialized Blu Ray originals and go into exile.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
^^Exactly! I brought up my daughter alone (well, with help from my parents) when my ex-wife left with someone else because the "walls were closing in."
I was a single parent for 7 years when I met my present wife. My daughter and I had some tough years. Too many sad stories from that time to tell here but now she's a SP-ED teacher with 3 kids and one more on the way. Her husband, her childhood sweetheart is a principal. I am, we are blessed. I have a great relationship with her, her husband and the kids and life is pretty good. I wish though that things could've gone differently with her mom and we could've lived without the court battles for her custody when she was embarrassed by her friends and family for what she did, she came back and fought for not only custody but more money. The rest of the story is bittersweet but the ending is really sweet. My daughter is in love with her hubby and kids and I'm very lucky that she always kept her head on straight and that even though her childhood and innocence were cut short by the woman that birthed her, she's a stable woman. Daughter, mother and me have all pretty much reconciled and we now live in peace (ex wife and her hubby me and my wife are on friendly terms) and life is good.... Merry Christmas to all here.

Blessings to you.
I don't have kids of my own, but when I got divorced, I asked my former husband to make a deal with me. The deal was that we wouldn't be mean or disrespectful to each other. The fighting had been done, and it was over. There wasn't any use in continuing that energy. So....we agreed. We held hands at our divorce hearing (which caused some strange looks from the judge) and went out afterwards to eat to bring new joyful energy to our new starts.

It's remained that way ...and it has been 6 years. Before we moved, I"d occasionally meet up with him or have him come by to celebrate birthdays, etc. He was very supportive of me when I was alone (before Trevor). and I support him in all his process and transition. he still texts my family on birthdays, etc. He and Trevor get along ok.

I know it's not something everyone can do.....but we made a giant effort to keep it in good energy. I'm so so grateful for it.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I have the Carpenters Christmas album blasting while trying to get the apartment ready for the invasion of other people.

Times like this when I wish I had a husband/kids/maid/butler to help get things done. The dog is just no help whatsoever. :rolleyes: :laugh:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Blessings to you.
I don't have kids of my own, but when I got divorced, I asked my former husband to make a deal with me. The deal was that we wouldn't be mean or disrespectful to each other. The fighting had been done, and it was over. There wasn't any use in continuing that energy. So....we agreed. We held hands at our divorce hearing (which caused some strange looks from the judge) and went out afterwards to eat to bring new joyful energy to our new starts.

It's remained that way ...and it has been 6 years. Before we moved, I"d occasionally meet up with him or have him come by to celebrate birthdays, etc. He was very supportive of me when I was alone (before Trevor). and I support him in all his process and transition. he still texts my family on birthdays, etc. He and Trevor get along ok.

I know it's not something everyone can do.....but we made a giant effort to keep it in good energy. I'm so so grateful for it.

everybody talks about the divorce hearing as if it’s this empowering moment and huge release or something. Wasn’t like that for us. It was actually a really depressing day lol. Luckily, my ex and i get along wonderfully now, and support each other with just about everything either of us encounter. I’m really proud of it actually.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
everybody talks about the divorce hearing as if it’s this empowering moment and huge release or something. Wasn’t like that for us. It was actually a really depressing day lol. Luckily, my ex and i get along wonderfully now, and support each other with just about everything either of us encounter. I’m really proud of it actually.

"A million dollar education that you wouldn't pay a dime for!"

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The character of George Bailey makes that movie extremely difficult for me to watch. I’ve seen horribly disturbing and depressing films, but for whatever reason that one really gets to me. It’s way more unsettling and over the top than it has to be.

I feel guilty when I say this about the film but it`s one of my least favorite and I think you spoke well to why it might be. I too don`t like the character, while I can relate to how he`s feeling about things, I think it could have been played a touch more subdued and still have impact.

But, for transparency, I`m also a guy who`s holiday movie is Lampoons Christmas Vacation which never gets old. Bad Santa is another one I really like too but Thorton in that at times makes me squirm with the way he speaks to the little boy. It`s not on the NLCV scale but Matthew Broderick and Danny DeVito in Deck the Halls makes me laugh too

I dunno, can`t watch the Hallmark movies, same premise all the time, single mother/father return to home town after years being away, kid asks Santa for Mum/Dad to find love, usually with an old flame from the past.........

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It's the Saturday before Christmas and my apartment complex has construction workers hammering away outside my second story window doing something with the siding/insulation/dryer vents/I really don't know exactly what they're doing. This project has been going on for weeks. They have left large pieces of siding and other construction garbage laying around all the buildings and just cleaned up some of it the day before yesterday.

The work immediately outside my windows has been going on for the last hour now. I hope they like Bing Crosby, Julie Andrews, and Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra serenading them with "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" at full volume. :laugh:

(Yes I know they are just doing their job, but on the Saturday before Christmas?!)

Daisy is remarkably calm about this, although she did bark at their air compressor when we were out earlier. I hope she's not going deaf!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I dunno, can`t watch the Hallmark movies, same premise all the time, single mother/father return to home town after years being away, kid asks Santa for Mum/Dad to find love, usually with an old flame from the past.........
So you're the writer!! :laugh:

They also seem to use the same four actors/actresses in every movie

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
This morning on AMC I saw part of what I consider to be the worst Christmas movie of all time: "A Miracle On Christmas Lake." It's poorly written, acted, directed and whatever elements there are to describe this monstrosity of a "movie." It actually had me pissed off (and I don't know why). If you want to watch a movie where you hope everyone jumps off a bridge this is the one.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
It's the Saturday before Christmas and my apartment complex has construction workers hammering away outside my second story window doing something with the siding/insulation/dryer vents/I really don't know exactly what they're doing. This project has been going on for weeks. They have left large pieces of siding and other construction garbage laying around all the buildings and just cleaned up some of it the day before yesterday.

The work immediately outside my windows has been going on for the last hour now. I hope they like Bing Crosby, Julie Andrews, and Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra serenading them with "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" at full volume. :laugh:

(Yes I know they are just doing their job, but on the Saturday before Christmas?!)

Daisy is remarkably calm about this, although she did bark at their air compressor when we were out earlier. I hope she's not going deaf!
They’ve been replacing windows on the other end of my building the last 2 days and I don’t mind the hammer but a little warning wold be nice when they start cutting through the brick so they can flash the window and re-install the siding.

It sounds like they are done with installation so hopefully that means the crew is able to enjoy their weekend and also not have to work much next week

Reactions: Bruinaura

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I'm binge watching MacGyver (the original, not that fake remake garbage).

Sounds funny to hear "Czechoslovakia" now.

MacGyver asks the woman he's working with how she learned to speak Czech.

"Correspondence school."
"So...Czech's in the mail?" :laugh:

There are a lot of dad jokes and I love it lol.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
I have the Carpenters Christmas album blasting while trying to get the apartment ready for the invasion of other people.

Times like this when I wish I had a husband/kids/maid/butler to help get things done. The dog is just no help whatsoever. :rolleyes: :laugh:

It isn't Christmas until I hear Karen Carpenter's sweet voice

Reactions: Bruinaura and BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->