OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVIII - Treat or Trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Light off at 8:30 last night with 420 happy trick or treaters taken care of. Pretty average year, rain/ridiculous humidity didn't seem to keep anyone home.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Trick or treating was really low key last night in my town. We live right across the street from the neighborhood in town that everyone flocks to and it was mostly dead compared to how it usually is. It was warm, despite the light rain but not nearly the number of kids out as usual. I guess the weather scared some folks off for whatever reason.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
So I was sitting here, minding my own business, scrolling through something on my phone, when I got a notification of an incoming call.

From me.

Literally my name with this phone number.

o_O :huh:

I wonder what I wanted. I didn't leave a message. :laugh:

Reactions: talkinaway

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

When my kids were little we always took them there to see Santa, because he was so realistic. When they were about 7 and 5 after seeing him we went to Johnny Rockets.

While we were eating Santa came in to use the restroom....he made eye contact with my son (the 5 year old)....he could see the excitement in his eyes and came over and sat down right next to him, stole a few of his french fries, patted them both on the head and wished them a Merry Christmas.

One of the best moments my wife and I had as a parent,

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Trick or Treating. I moved the family a few years ago to a slightly different area but we don't get trick or treaters so last year and yesterday I go to a friend's house and hang-out with him, pretend I'm a decoration and scare kids. Douglas Park, Vancouver and it's crazy. Vancouver has a history of fireworks going and people spend thousands of dollars on them and they go all night. - however this area some houses do the whole t.v. thing of opening their houses and making them haunted (not my buddy's house as he decorates but just sits on the porch) and everywhere is decorated and all of that jazz. He bought 1000 pieces of candy, one a kid because it's costly with two of them handing them out, and ran out with hundreds of kids still walking by.

Just for anyone that grew up trick or treating and are kinda sad that it seems there's less kids wandering around now - it's a mob scene/festival of kids and parents in costume and explosions going off the whole time.
I made sure to be on the earliest flight available home from work in Texas yesterday, but because of traffic, it was still almost 7 before I got home. @Kovi and my sister in law (who was dressed at the Evil Queen from Snow White - and was SERIOUSLY busting balls of the kids who half-assed their costumes) saw the bulk of the kids, but even in my abbreviated time, saw probably 150 kids and all tolled went through 8 or 9 big bags of candy, plus over 100 full bars. My brother and sister in law are HUGE into Halloween (It's also her birthday), but their neighborhood gets only a handful of kids, so I'm hoping them coming out to our place becomes a Halloween tradition. Also hoping they can help set up a haunted house in our garage,which they've done before.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Light off at 8:30 last night with 420 happy trick or treaters taken care of. Pretty average year, rain/ridiculous humidity didn't seem to keep anyone home.
420??? Wow

Amazing

What was the big costume

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I made sure to be on the earliest flight available home from work in Texas yesterday, but because of traffic, it was still almost 7 before I got home. @Kovi and my sister in law (who was dressed at the Evil Queen from Snow White - and was SERIOUSLY busting balls of the kids who half-assed their costumes) saw the bulk of the kids, but even in my abbreviated time, saw probably 150 kids and all tolled went through 8 or 9 big bags of candy, plus over 100 full bars. My brother and sister in law are HUGE into Halloween (It's also her birthday), but their neighborhood gets only a handful of kids, so I'm hoping them coming out to our place becomes a Halloween tradition. Also hoping they can help set up a haunted house in our garage,which they've done before.
Tell Kovi me and my 3 buds worked my cousins haunted corn maze/woods down the street from where she lived - just got home. We got some serious scary stuff going. I put on a wolf man mask the other day at home and my dogs eyes got big and her hair looked like it was on edge - I’m not kidding it reminded me of Scooby Doo.

the Celtics are supposed to come tomorrow.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When my kids were little we always took them there to see Santa, because he was so realistic. When they were about 7 and 5 after seeing him we went to Johnny Rockets.

While we were eating Santa came in to use the restroom....he made eye contact with my son (the 5 year old)....he could see the excitement in his eyes and came over and sat down right next to him, stole a few of his french fries, patted them both on the head and wished them a Merry Christmas.

That Santa was at Burlington for years and he was fantastic.

539w.jpg

Jim Heichelbech, 78, has played St. Nick for 52 years, starting with dressing up for his own children. He's since volunteered at hospitals, nursing homes, and orphanages, and in recent years, has been sent to busy shopping centers around the country by his employer, the Colorado-based Noerr Programs Corp.

Heichelbech trains and recruits new Santas and is a member of the Amalgamated Order of Real Bearded Santas, an international fraternity. A former vice president of sales and marketing at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Wisconsin and a native of Louisville, Ky., Heichelbech is affable, quick-witted, and speaks with a Southern lilt that occasionally throws people off. Apart from Christmas season, he and his wife, Marilyn, - who this year is Mrs. Claus at the Burlington Mall - live not on the North Pole but in a retirement community in Arcadia, Fla.

For Heichelbech one senses that being Santa is more than a job. "He's in character 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year," Marilyn Heichelbech says. And he's currently writing a book about his experiences.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

It's the little things.

20 years ago when my son was 8 he went through a phase where he adored mascots. It started with the Spinners and Lock Monsters but somehow much to the chagrin of his parents his favorite was

554526714839af7105b5e57f359294dc.jpg

My company was still in its infancy in 2000 but we had the contract to do all the visiting team feeds from Stade Olympique and I took my son to a game there. I arranged with an Expos staffer for a quick private meet and greet with Youppi and we did so by the visiting clubhouse.

Youppi then put my son in his scooter and drove off in the tunnel and they were gone ten minutes. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Offering car servicing starting at 7am is a game changer.

I made my 18k mile service appointment for 7:30 and they took me a few minutes early :)

Hopefully they don't need to do any major work to fix my tire sensor. Escaping with a bill under $150 would be a dream scenario.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That Santa was at Burlington for years and he was fantastic.

539w.jpg

Jim Heichelbech, 78, has played St. Nick for 52 years, starting with dressing up for his own children. He's since volunteered at hospitals, nursing homes, and orphanages, and in recent years, has been sent to busy shopping centers around the country by his employer, the Colorado-based Noerr Programs Corp.

Heichelbech trains and recruits new Santas and is a member of the Amalgamated Order of Real Bearded Santas, an international fraternity. A former vice president of sales and marketing at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Wisconsin and a native of Louisville, Ky., Heichelbech is affable, quick-witted, and speaks with a Southern lilt that occasionally throws people off. Apart from Christmas season, he and his wife, Marilyn, - who this year is Mrs. Claus at the Burlington Mall - live not on the North Pole but in a retirement community in Arcadia, Fla.

For Heichelbech one senses that being Santa is more than a job. "He's in character 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year," Marilyn Heichelbech says. And he's currently writing a book about his experiences.
That’s the guy!

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
If you or someone you know is interested in becoming an IBEW Local 103 electrician, the Boston Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee will be accepting applications beginning on November 4.

The apprenticeship is difficult, but the pay and benefits are second to none in the construction industry (and many other industries), and we work on the biggest and best projects in eastern Massachusetts.

Potential applicants MUST have an address within the IBEW Local 103 jurisdiction at the time of application and acceptance into the program.

List of cities and towns:
[URL]https://bostonjatc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Area-Covered-By-Local-103.pdf[/URL]

If you think this career might be for you or someone you know, here is a link and an informational video. There will likely be 1 to 2 thousand applicants if not more, and only a fraction of them will be accepted. It is very competitive.

[URL="https://bostonjatc.com/apply-now/"]Electrical and Telecommunications Apprenticeships offered by Local 103, IBEW and Boston Chapter NECA - Boston JATC
[/URL]
https://youtu.be/RB2XrcgbOLA

If you have any questions, please PM me, or contact the Boston JATC for more information.

@Chief Nine

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Tell Kovi me and my 3 buds worked my cousins haunted corn maze/woods down the street from where she lived - just got home. We got some serious scary stuff going. I put on a wolf man mask the other day at home and my dogs eyes got big and her hair looked like it was on edge - I’m not kidding it reminded me of Scooby Doo.

the Celtics are supposed to come tomorrow.
Connors? (It was sold tho, no? but Bob still manages or something?)
The cops use to get called to rescue people in that corn maze.....it's huge. I bet you had fun though.
gotta be honest, I miss running to Connors for pies and small groceries.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Connors? (It was sold tho, no? but Bob still manages or something?)
The cops use to get called to rescue people in that corn maze.....it's huge. I bet you had fun though.
gotta be honest, I miss running to Connors for pies and small groceries.
Not that I know of - he’s my cousin and and was with him a few days this week. (Huge Huge Bruins fan)

those donuts are amazing

my daughter went thru and was terrified - heck I go through before it starts to check things and it creeps me out

Reactions: Kovi and Spooner st

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

That's great to hear. And I hope they do make it a tradition with you guys as I'm going through the same thing.
I always loved Halloween growing up. We decked out our place when I was a kid and I'd be back three times during the night to unload another pillowcase. And a blast in my 20s. Although I never took it over the top as an adult, decorated my place, got into costume, and enjoyed giving out candy - but moving from an area that was chalk full of kids and people in the spirit where you'd get a few hundred trick'or'treaters to where I am - and it's maybe a five minute drive - is depressing without the kids coming by or people decorating. So that's why I go over to my friend's house.
sidenote: It was actually his 14 year-old daughter, in one of the sweetest phone calls I've received, that called me to ask if I would come over again as it made it so much more fun/scary for kids last year and she heard a lot about it. It's also nice for my friend, as especially his street is where people will drive to from everywhere, and he finds it a bit frustrating that he has to dole out so much cash and time for kids from areas that don't bother. - I actually think there should be grants available for places like that as it's pretty much an out of pocket festival that a few hundred houses put on. Next year I'll try to take a proper video.
Hopefully you can set up that haunted garage.

p.s. I really gotta get back to Texas soon. Have friends in Austin that have been asking me to come visit again but just one thing after another and always tough to justify getting away for a few days on my own with the kids and cash. I always have to be setting up private art sales or shows nowadays to give me the excuse to go anywhere. Miss the days of just buying a ticket in the morning and getting out of dodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad