OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVIII - Treat or Trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Letterkenny was recommended to me by a friend, but I haven't seen it yet. Is it only on Prime?

When Hulu picked it up for streaming down in the states, I saw a few articles and thought I'd check it out. My wife was a little less interested than I, so I said we'll watch the first 5 minutes and if you don't like it, we can move on to another show. After the opening scene in season one, she was all in. It's that funny.

This is how the show kicked off, and it's still hilarious to me:

Reactions: Chief Nine

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
As far as the BC story, I'm a little conflicted. Yeah she's a terrible person, but the guy still is the one that offed himself and clearly had some mental issues if he was capable of doing this. She easily could have been a better person by not encouraging him, but charging her after the fact seems like it's really about retribution for the family and having a person to blame for what happened. If she wasn't in the picture, would he have still carried it out? Hard to say either way.

All I know is that this is a slippery slope. It starts with this kind of scenario and then it transfers to another later on. Imagine if your friend asks if they should stay home or go to a party. You encourage them to go, and they do and end up dying. Are you know culpable for their death because you encouraged them to do the activity that ultimately caused them to pass?

And I get that suggesting someone off themselves is way more of an extreme than my scenario, but it's not about what's worse. It's about setting a precedent. And when you let lawyers and legal folks do these kinds of things, it only leads to future lawsuits and charges based on previous precedents.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
As far as the BC story, I'm a little conflicted. Yeah she's a terrible person, but the guy still is the one that offed himself and clearly had some mental issues if he was capable of doing this. She easily could have been a better person by not encouraging him, but charging her after the fact seems like it's really about retribution for the family and having a person to blame for what happened. If she wasn't in the picture, would he have still carried it out? Hard to say either way.

All I know is that this is a slippery slope. It starts with this kind of scenario and then it transfers to another later on. Imagine if your friend asks if they should stay home or go to a party. You encourage them to go, and they do and end up dying. Are you know culpable for their death because you encouraged them to do the activity that ultimately caused them to pass?

And I get that suggesting someone off themselves is way more of an extreme than my scenario, but it's not about what's worse. It's about setting a precedent. And when you let lawyers and legal folks do these kinds of things, it only leads to future lawsuits and charges based on previous precedents.

I'm not sure that's an accurate comparison. These were excessive messages she sent, which ultimately is an example of harassment and mental cruelty.
I understand what you're saying and I agree it's a very gray area. But this was long-term over a series of weeks.

Continual mental abuse..... yeah.

Reactions: DKH

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm not sure that's an accurate comparison. These were excessive messages she sent, which ultimately is an example of harassment and mental cruelty.
I understand what you're saying and I agree it's a very gray area. But this was long-term over a series of weeks.

Continual mental abuse..... yeah.

No question that this is a very specific case. As was Michelle Carter's case. She was the woman who was convicted of something similar a couple of years ago and recently denied parole. In both these cases, I get why charges were filed. I'm just not filled with enough faith that this won't eventually lead to it being applied to less specific and less warranted cases, if that makes sense. Not that they're going after her in this case, but how it's applied in the future to less obvious instances.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
No question that this is a very specific case. As was Michelle Carter's case. She was the woman who was convicted of something similar a couple of years ago and recently denied parole. In both these cases, I get why charges were filed. I'm just not filled with enough faith that this won't eventually lead to it being applied to less specific and less warranted cases, if that makes sense. Not that they're going after her in this case, but how it's applied in the future to less obvious instances.

Both you & @Kovi are correct here. As long as this is done strictly on a case by case basis I have zero problem with it. Otherwise, I don't want to see it happening.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

My thoughts exactly

I have no problem with charges being filed against this particular girl but stuff like this needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis. I think a big factor on why she was charged is that she was present for the entire thing. Carter wasn’t and she got popped, I’d imagine the same thing will happen to her if she comes over from Korea

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:eek:

upload_2019-10-30_12-3-10.png

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hours after its surprising decision to pass on its Namoi Watts-led Game of Thrones prequel, HBO on Tuesday afternoon announced a straight-to-series order for a prequel in the world of Westeros called House of the Dragon.

The rumored project, which focuses on House Targaryen and was created by Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin and Ryan Condal (Colony), was given a formal series order on Tuesday at the end of HBO Max's formal unveiling to investors.

The prequel is set 300 years before the events of the flagship series which tracks the beginnings and the end of House Targaryen. Emilia Clarke earned four Emmy nominations for her role as fan-favorite Daenerys Targaryen. Martin and Condal will pen the script for the 10-episode project, which is based on Martin's book Fire & Blood. Miguel Sapochnik, who earned an Emmy for helming the "Battle of the Bastards" episode, will direct the pilot and additional episodes. Vince Gerardis will also executive produce. Sapochnik and Condal will serve as co-showrunners. House of the Dragon will be the first project to stem from a new overall deal that Sapochnik has signed with HBO, in which he will develop and produce content for both HBO and HBO Max.

“The Game of Thrones universe is so rich with stories,” said HBO programming president Casey Bloys. “We look forward to exploring the origins of House Targaryen and the earlier days of Westeros along with Miguel, Ryan and George.”

Reactions: Spooner st

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Going to Charleston tomorrow for a long weekend.

Anyone been there and have recommendations?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
@Glove Malfunction It’s a miracle. Mount Auburn is finally talking to other hospitals after 2 1/2 years

View attachment 270987
I've worked with both those applications. MyChart is the portal you use (though I haven't really done much with the mobile app), and Care Everywhere is how the organizations talk to one another. I was involved in the very early work with Partners, getting Care Everywhere up and running, and also connecting to the state's HIE. Mt. Auburn has always seems to be slow at adopting the new functionality for patients...

Reactions: Fenway
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->