OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVII - Fall is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Got the living room including internet and cable set up and the bathroom cleaned out. Tomorrow is the kitchen and then I'll be able to sleep there.

I'll take the rest of my clothes over bit by bit so that everything will be fully set up by next weekend.

The insurance company has the adjuster's report so I'm hoping I get some good news on that front this week.

Best part of today was me finding the large pink cable knit sweater I'd been looking for.

Reactions: BMC

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Well alas both our teams were terrible. The Wallabies reaped what they sowed in 4 years of mismanagement, complacency and bad coaching, I think Ireland just ran into the unstoppable tide of a fired up All Blacks.

Would like to see Wales make the final. They've got a strong team at the moment and are definitely on the easier side of the draw.

Australia have incredible skill and ability but their game management was atrocious today. Made the wrong decisions at the wrong times.
Ireland were awful and have been all year. We are too predictable in attack, zero creativity and our skill levels are a joke. 2018 flattered Ireland and I think we believed our own hype. Today was a rude awakening. It's back to the drawing board.

England and NZ both looked really good and I think whoever wins that game wins the final.

Anyway condolences to us both, at least we have a season of the Bruins ahead to look forward to.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Australia have incredible skill and ability but their game management was atrocious today. Made the wrong decisions at the wrong times.
Ireland were awful and have been all year. We are too predictable in attack, zero creativity and our skill levels are a joke. 2018 flattered Ireland and I think we believed our own hype. Today was a rude awakening. It's back to the drawing board.

England and NZ both looked really good and I think whoever wins that game wins the final.

Anyway condolences to us both, at least we have a season of the Bruins ahead to look forward to.

I have no clue what I’m watching when I watch rugby, but I do know it’s an awesome sport. I just can’t understand a lot of the subtleties just yet

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
I have no clue what I’m watching when I watch rugby, but I do know it’s an awesome sport. I just can’t understand a lot of the subtleties just yet

Yeah it can take a while to wrap your head around the nuances of rugby, especially when it comes to the rules around the ruck and scrum but when rugby is played well it is a joy to watch. Teams like New Zealand, Australia, France when they are in the mood and the real suprise of this world cup Japan play a great and exciting style of rugby.

Hopefully it will catch on in the US as rugby needs more top tier teams to help grow the game. I imagine there are loads of football players that don't make the cut in the NFL that could have a decent career in rugby. Hopefully Major League Rugby will continue to grow over the next 10-15 years and grab people's attention in the US.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Yeah it can take a while to wrap your head around the nuances of rugby, especially when it comes to the rules around the ruck and scrum but when rugby is played well it is a joy to watch. Teams like New Zealand, Australia, France when they are in the mood and the real suprise of this world cup Japan play a great and exciting style of rugby.

Hopefully it will catch on in the US as rugby needs more top tier teams to help grow the game. I imagine there are loads of football players that don't make the cut in the NFL that could have a decent career in rugby. Hopefully Major League Rugby will continue to grow over the next 10-15 years and grab people's attention in the US.

I actually think it will catch on in the US. It has all the elements of what most Americans like in a sport: speed, physicality, strategy, constant action, and it’s fun to watch even if you don’t fully “get” how it’s played.

The basics seem pretty easy to grasp. I just had my 19 year old daughter in here watching the RSA-Japan match and she understood what they’re doing and she doesn’t understand American football. :laugh:

The only drawbacks I see (and they’re not major) is really understanding the game and it’s not a “native North American” sport which is more of a generational thing.

What I don’t get is why the heck do they kick it away when they have possession? What’s the reason?

There’s no downs like in American football from what I understand where you have to turn it over, correct?

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
I actually think it will catch on in the US. It has all the elements of what most Americans like in a sport: speed, physicality, strategy, constant action, and it’s fun to watch even if you don’t fully “get” how it’s played.

The basics seem pretty easy to grasp. I just had my 19 year old daughter in here watching the RSA-Japan match and she understood what they’re doing and she doesn’t understand American football. :laugh:

The only drawbacks I see (and they’re not major) is really understanding the game and it’s not a “native North American” sport which is more of a generational thing.

What I don’t get is why the heck do they kick it away when they have possession? What’s the reason?

There’s no downs like in American football from what I understand where you have to turn it over, correct?

No there are no downs, you can retain possession for as long as you can and no gain has to be made. However the longer you retain possession in your own half without making any ground, the higher the risk of either turning over possession to the opposition or giving away a penalty. So teams will primarily kick to get the ball into the oppositions half similar to a punt in American football, and then try and force the opposition to make an error in their half of the pitch and so on.

If rugby could catch on even remotely as successfully as soccer has there then that would be huge for the sport given the market size, the passion of American sports fans and the resources and money available. Japan has been the newest country were rugby has seen significant growth and the rewards of that were seen at this world cup. The US and Canada are very much a part of world rugby's growth plan over the next couple of decades.

The New England Free Jack's are one of the newest Major League Rugby teams New England Free Jacks - Official Website
There are even a couple of Irish boys on the team. Next time I get to Boston for a Bruins game I'm gonna try and see if I can work in a Free Jack's game aswell, although it will be a few years before I get to go back to Boston.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
No there are no downs, you can retain possession for as long as you can and no gain has to be made. However the longer you retain possession in your own half without making any ground, the higher the risk of either turning over possession to the opposition or giving away a penalty. So teams will primarily kick to get the ball into the oppositions half similar to a punt in American football, and then try and force the opposition to make an error in their half of the pitch and so on.

If rugby could catch on even remotely as successfully as soccer has there then that would be huge for the sport given the market size, the passion of American sports fans and the resources and money available. Japan has been the newest country were rugby has seen significant growth and the rewards of that were seen at this world cup. The US and Canada are very much a part of world rugby's growth plan over the next couple of decades.

The New England Free Jack's are one of the newest Major League Rugby teams New England Free Jacks - Official Website
There are even a couple of Irish boys on the team. Next time I get to Boston for a Bruins game I'm gonna try and see if I can work in a Free Jack's game aswell, although it will be a few years before I get to go back to Boston.

OK that makes sense thanks! Seems that there’s a lot of similarities between rugby and American football.

I think rugby will actually have more of a foothold here because of that but there might be some “pushback” with the NFL which has been on top of the heap for a long time here.

We shall see!

Reactions: IrishBruinsFan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Moving hit a snag when I discovered that the complex never checked the water closet after they said repairs were "completed".

I have no hot water.

Had they checked 3 weeks ago after the flood, they would have found standing water and a shorted out hot water tank.

I could have stayed the night but it's far too disruptive to show up at my moms at 5am for a hot shower.

Sigh.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Was rather frustrated today as my younger 10 year-old daughter's soccer game was at 5:45 pm on a Sunday in a different city.
Found out that next week's game is an 8pm Sunday start in a different city.

Just wanted to whine but - what the hell? 10 year-olds playing soccer until 9:30 on a Sunday night in the pouring rain. Great.

Much much different than the way I grew up playing sports.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I have posted about being a big Miami Vice fan before and while going thru the series for the w/e time I asked myself in 5 seasons how does no one like finger Crockett or know he is undercover all the time? I mean Miami cant be THAT big and hes running around as Burnett and Crockett. You would think in one episode it would come to bite him in the ass. It actually happens to Tubbs once.

Also thinking the creators and writers left plenty of space for an updated reboot. I mean Crockett had a son and Tubbs had a son with the drug dealers daughter but the baby was stolen. Could base a show around Crocketts son following in his fathers footsteps and Tubbs son being a new drug dealer thinking that Tubbs killed his mother and other relatives.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The MBTA didn't finish their weekend work on time and the f***ing Orange line has shuttle service between Sullivan and Tufts on a Monday morning.

The level of incompetence is so unbelievable I am having a hard time actually believing it.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The MBTA didn't finish their weekend work on time and the ****ing Orange line has shuttle service between Sullivan and Tufts on a Monday morning.

The level of incompetence is so unbelievable I am having a hard time actually believing it.

I can't think of another organization I have less faith in....

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Moving hit a snag when I discovered that the complex never checked the water closet after they said repairs were "completed".

I have no hot water.

Had they checked 3 weeks ago after the flood, they would have found standing water and a shorted out hot water tank.

I could have stayed the night but it's far too disruptive to show up at my moms at 5am for a hot shower.

Sigh.

I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around this, how in the hell did they not go back to the source of the leak and fix it???? :facepalm:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
The MBTA didn't finish their weekend work on time and the ****ing Orange line has shuttle service between Sullivan and Tufts on a Monday morning.

Boston being Boston.
I'm so sorry to all those effected. It's unacceptable.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

Funny you mentioned that. I saw a guy on LinkedIn over the weekend pontificating about the great job McCourt was doing on the job. Whoops

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
They didn't post about it until 6 am. They didn't know at 4 f***ing am they were still 12 hours away from being done? They didn't think to send out mass alerts so people could make other plans?

How the f*** can anyone be that bad at anything? This wasn't bad weather or a breakdown or an accident, it was them. All them.

Reactions: Fenway and Alicat

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
They didn't post about it until 6 am. They didn't know at 4 ****ing am they were still 12 hours away from being done? They didn't think to send out mass alerts so people could make other plans?

How the **** can anyone be that bad at anything? This wasn't bad weather or a breakdown or an accident, it was them. All them.

Joe takes the first train from Oak Grove at 5:15. They made zero announcements on the platform and had no signage on any alerts up on the boards. The train was full and getting ready to pull out and they announced the shuttles at the last minute. There was a mass exodus of people jumping off before the doors closed. He got an uber.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around this, how in the hell did they not go back to the source of the leak and fix it???? :facepalm:
The leak actually started in the outside wall in my kitchen but my water closet and heater are just behind the interior kitchen wall so had they done what they said they did, they absolutely would have found the water.

My guess is that they cleaned the closet but didn't check the units and assumed that the tank was ok since my heat was ok.

These guys are known for being cheap. I've now heard from 2 maintenance men that the property managment company does things on the cheap (windows, blinds) and does the bare minimum to keep residents in the units.

Honestly, if I had the money to go after them I would but I don't so it is all about documenting things, keeping track of my property and having insurance.

It is a great community but they've gotten away with it for so long because of archaic city ordinances that they are grandfathered into.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Joe takes the first train from Oak Grove at 5:15. They made zero announcements on the platform and had no signage on any alerts up on the boards. The train was full and getting ready to pull out and they announced the shuttles at the last minute. There was a mass exodus of people jumping off before the doors closed. He got an uber.

Court gave up on the green line and took an Uber too. Was over an hour late. I would have driven her in had they simply told us with an alert.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This was posted at 5:15am

That's great but not everyone has twitter and the alerts from the T itself are useless.

I still get them and didn't get the first alert until almost 7am.

I left my mom's at 7am and they had only started to warn viewers of the delay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EverettMike

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
They didn't post about it until 6 am. They didn't know at 4 ****ing am they were still 12 hours away from being done? They didn't think to send out mass alerts so people could make other plans?

How the **** can anyone be that bad at anything? This wasn't bad weather or a breakdown or an accident, it was them. All them.

You'd think this organization would be aware of it's awful reputation and be on top of this stuff, but they don't give a $%#&...

Reactions: BMC and EverettMike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad