OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVI - Hockey Is Coming!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The Cars are definitely one of my favorite bands - next to maybe Aerosmith, perhaps the best band from Boston. My mom played lots of yacht rock (then called soft rock) in the car on the way to school, so I had heavy exposure to "Drive". By high school, I'd picked up their Greatest Hits CD - of course, not really knowing that their first album could also essentially function as a Greatest Hits album in itself.

I also love New Wave, so one of my favorites of theirs is a slightly lesser known song..."I'm Not the One". It's moody, sad, and haunting...about a 180 degree turn from the more popular "Magic" and "Shake it Up".

Reactions: BMC and Kovi

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I said it on other social media channels and I will say it here.
I was disabled at age 6 (first day of first grade). Drs. told my mother I would never learn with other kids and she should just put me "in a home". I received tutoring, but that was it. Otherwise I was mainstreamed.
Huffman trying to make allowances because she feared her child wouldn't get "a break" makes me ill. I never got ANY break....and thank God I didnt My mother was not having any of that bull****. I wasn't babied, I wasn't treated special (by the way EVER), and my mother only expected that I could and WOULD succeed.
Put your kids in a place to fail....and they will.

I got into college on my own with no special help and graduated 3.6. When I failed college Math, again, no special treatment...had to make it up with a Science.

There is support, and then there is doing your child a disservice.

I have more of an issue with the admissions people who were able to be bought. If they had some integrity, this couldn't happen.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I have more of an issue with the admissions people who were able to be bought. If they had some integrity, this couldn't happen.
All the energy in this situation is born from a place of lack. Admissions people who can be bribes (thats lack), moms who don't believe in their kids (thats lack), moms who think they cant succeed without monetary offering (thats lack). The young people here are born into that theory of scarcity and live it also.

A shift in thoughts here, a change of perspective, and none of this happens. This is all scarcity and fear based.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
All the energy in this situation is born from a place of lack. Admissions people who can be bribes (thats lack), moms who don't believe in their kids (thats lack), moms who think they cant succeed without monetary offering (thats lack). The young people here are born into that theory of scarcity and live it also.

A shift in thoughts here, a change of perspective, and none of this happens. This is all scarcity and fear based.

I'd like to add, a lack of common sense.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
When guitar-driven rock was being besieged by synth-driven new wave, somehow The Cars managed to be cool to both crowds.

Their debut had nearly every song find its way to radio, most of which still populate classic rock playlists.

Ocasek also produced the first Weezer album.

And for us guys, we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Ric Ocasek forever abolished the saying "She's out of my league." And they actually made their marriage work.

I don't typically get sad over celeb deaths, as I don't know them personally. But this one's a little different.

The Cars are an all time fave, so thank you Ric for the timeless songs.

With you there, the late Tom Petty and the Cars are, by far my two favorite bands. Didn`t get to see the Cars live a ton (4 times) as they didn`t do the touring thing often and they had an ill deserved rep for not being a great band live which I call BS to as often those who make comments like that expected a band come out and do back flips, wow you with crazy lighting or pyrotechnics and/or get the crowd pumped up, that just wasn`t them. One of my ex`s used to say I drove her nuts playing the Cars as often as I did.

Few bands could bring what they brought, unique and quirky lyrics, funky synth/keyboards, the impossible to duplicate voice of Ocasek, Ben Orr on vocals/bass , Easton with his terribly underrated playing and Robinson on drums, incredible harmonies and they weren`t afraid to try new things on each album. I was/am one of the few who loved Ocasek`s Beatitude album and there`s rarely a CD around the house (yep I still have them) and/or playlist that doesn`t have at least a half dozen Cars tunes on them.

RIP

Reactions: Aeroforce

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
its-almost-fall-in-phoenix-you-know-what-that-means-37769383.png

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Was preparing some chicken breasts and found a f***ing round worm in one of them. Started to inspect all pieces more carefully. THREE ROUNDWORMS.

I was so damn hungry and now I’m just gonna have chips and coke. f*** this.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Was preparing some chicken breasts and found a ****ing round worm in one of them. Started to inspect all pieces more carefully. THREE ROUNDWORMS.

I was so damn hungry and now I’m just gonna have chips and coke. **** this.
I’m regretting chicken for dinner now.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
A true journalist who did things the right way.

I am sad about this as she was someone we discussed in school quite a bit along with Barbara Walters.

RIP Cokie

Reactions: rfournier103

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Been up since 4:15, had a conference call, made the bed, made coffee, worked on a work assignment, saw the sunrise in AZ, and Texas.....all before regular 9-3 work-work.
Nite nite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->