OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVI - Hockey Is Coming!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMC

BMC Per Johan Axelsson Sponsor

I guess post Stanley Cup hangovers aren't just for the winning team and its fans. I'm excited for hockey but not necessarily for the Bruins, at least not right now :(

rfournier103 likes this.
  2. BMC

BMC Per Johan Axelsson Sponsor

Got to start her off right! :nod: :thumbu:

rfournier103 and IrishBruinsFan like this.
  3. Spooner st

Spooner st Registered User Sponsor

IrishBruinsFan likes this.
  4. Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction Ference is my binky Sponsor

EMR Consultant
    Thursdays are the best day of the week!

Kovi likes this.
  5. talkinaway

talkinaway Registered User

Mods, I think this account has been hacked by Charlie Jacobs....give it a check, will ya? :naughty:

I'll actually agree with you on the looks of the seats - the one good thing I can say about them is that I think they look nice. I never liked the yellowy-orange and dark green seats. I get the symbolism. It's just the particular shades seemed a little...I dunno, drab? Industrial? That said, I'm color-blind (well, color-insensitive, really - upside-down traffic lights wouldn't faze me), so that may be a small part of it. The black seats at least look sleek.

But I'd revert to the old seats in a heartbeat. Form over function - they're jamming in one extra seat into many (most?) rows in the balcony. If your row of 13 gets a 14th seats in it, you've now got about 93% of the seating width that you used to have. (Maybe a little more if they spill out into the aisle a bit.)

Centrum Hockey likes this.
  6. Bruinaura

Bruinaura Registered User

In rare weeks where I am off work on Fridays, I agree :laugh:

7. Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction Ference is my binky Sponsor

EMR Consultant
    Thursday is fly home day!

Kovi, BMC, LSCII and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bruinaura

Bruinaura Registered User

:wave:

9. Fenway

Fenway Administrator Sponsor

Don't give Massachusetts any more ideas for revenue

[​IMG]

10. Alicat

Alicat HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Heads up to anyone in Somerville and surrounding areas

11. Aeroforce

Aeroforce Registered User

I'm still harboring some bad feelings toward the way last season ended. But I'm not angry at the league, the refs, or any of that. Marchand? No comment. ;)

But my lack of enthusiasm for the new season has more to do with parity and how anything goes in the playoffs. It gives an air of meaninglessness to the regular season. Sure, it's entertaining, but I've even heard @Fenway say if the Bruins played Game 7 on the road, they'd have won. So should we even care about home ice in the playoffs?

I know the players have handled the loss like professionals, but I'm also heeding their advice. Rask recently told Tim & Sid it's just hockey, and there are more important things in life.

rfournier103, Spooner st and Fenway like this.
  12. Pay Carl

Pay Carl don't lose touch Sponsor

Any Maine people have any advice for cool places to eat/drink in Portland? Visiting for a couple days

13. Troublesome 85

Troublesome 85 Rest In Peace Bree, Sapo, Yamz, Paybacc & Daz

I like Spectre when I first saw it. Now I dislike it but I may watch again to see if my feelings change. The other 3 I love with Craig.

14. Kovi

Kovi Registered User

:pickle:

15. EverettMike

EverettMike Registered User

Home Page:
    Duck Fat to eat. Novare Res to drink.

GlenFeatherstone likes this.
  16. GabeTravels

GabeTravels Born & Bred In Maine Sponsor

Hope everyone's summer was good!

Some of you may remember that I've been working through the fiancee visa process.

Well, great news to share...my fiancee had her interview at the embassy in Manila yesterday and was approved! She'll be stateside in about 3 weeks! :D

17. Alicat

I still have no details but I'm looking for some advice from people who have been flown in or flown someone in for an interview..

Do you typically only bring someone in for 24 hours? What if they wanted to extend their stay?

I'm only asking because 1. I waned to look at apartments and 2. I have a phone screening with another place and if they are interested in meeting me in person I was thinking I could do that while I'm down there.

18. Gee Wally

Gee Wally Resident Grumpy Old Man

Awards:

Typically for us its 24 hours. Fly 'em in night before. Interview. Leave after interview.

Unless its a very high/senior position.

Chief Nine likes this.
  19. jangerhofer

jangerhofer Registered User

Unless moving your return flight incurs significant additional expense (for example if you want to move the return leg to the day before Thanksgiving), your recruiter/hiring manager should have no problem letting you pick your return date. I’d mention (1) to them; omit (2); and just ask that your flight home be moved to a specific date! In short, tell them what you want and, if they are interested enough in flying you out, they should be accommodating.

I don’t imagine it’s a significant consideration, but I bet the recruiter will take your plan to scout housing as a positive signal that you’re interested in the job, not just playing the market for a raise (and likely, therefore, to reject any potential offer)!

20. Alicat

Thanks!

21. Alicat

Yea I was hoping they would be willing to let me come down the day before the interview so I can look at a few of the apartments I am interested in.

It is definitely something I plan to ask the recruiter when we speak likely next week to book the trip.

I'm getting ahead of myself with the other potential job as I need to make it past the phone screening.

22. sarge88

sarge88 Registered User Sponsor

A year ago today the gas explosions in the Merrimack Valley (Mass) happened. My town and neighborhood were right in the thick of it.

That day I cut out of work early to pick up an exchange student that was staying with us for a couple of weeks and one of his classmates to take them to my daughter's soccer game in Beverly (about 25 miles from home). After a quick stop for an ice cream we got to watch what, to this day, may be my daughter's best performance in any sport. It was probably the most fun I've ever had watching her play anything.

Then, suddenly everything changed. At halftime my 15 year old son called in a panic telling my wife that he could hear explosions and sirens and didn't know what was going on. While they were talking he got an alert to evacuate the town. He bravely checked on the neighbor who has two little ones, called some friends he knew might be alone and met up with my mother in law who drove him and the dog to my brother and sister in law's a couple of towns away.

A couple of us went over the coach to let her know what was going on. The assistant coach is married to a police captain in our town and she went into her bag to check her phone and it had blown up with calls and texts. The athletic director told the coach to have the girls leave with their parents because nobody knew if the bus would be allowed back into the school parking lot or even the town. Obviously not every player had a parent at the game. I ended up piling my daughter, the two exchange students and three other players in my car to head back to town. The drive down route 114 was kind of surreal, as there was bumper to bumper traffic going away from North Andover/Lawrence and nobody but myself and first responders from that area heading into the fray. I was able to get the kids to their homes, most with their parents waiting in the driveway with the car packed so they could evacuate as soon as the girls got there.

I brought my daughter to the high school to get her car and she and the exchange student went to my brother's. I went home to get clothes/supplies and to turn off the gas and then got stuck in the worst traffic one could imagine. My daughter was able to get to my brother's, which is typically 15 minutes away in about 1/2 hour because of the route she took from the high school.

Our home was in the neighborhood where the explosions were happening, and because of blocked roads, I needed to take a different route. The ride that usually took 15 minutes took me 1:45. I was on the I-495 bridge over the Merrimack River for about 45 minutes without moving.

In the end, I'm happy to say that we were much luckier than so many of our friends that day because, although my son was pretty shook up, we were all safe and didn't have any property damage.

Enjoy every day to its fullest because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

23. Alicat

I can't imagine how horrifying that day was to you and everyone else that lives in this area.

I was glued to the TV and had to scramble to check on employees who lived in the area who worked remote. We were very lucky that they were shaken but ok.

My heart also breaks for the family of the teenager who died that day.

Sending a giant hug your way Sarge.

sarge88 likes this.
  24. Donnie Shulzhoffer

Donnie Shulzhoffer Rocket Surgery Sponsor

Saw him live in 1988. Great fun.

25. sarge88

sarge88 Registered User Sponsor

Thanks so much!

I certainly won't diminish 9-11 by comparing the two events, but the feelings I had were similar. The feeling of not knowing if your home was going to be the next one to blow up is certainly not an easy way to spend an afternoon and evening. Then there were so many rumors going around about which neighbors/friends or relatives homes exploded...some true, some not, that you just had an uneasy feeling that took a while to shake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.