OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVI - Hockey Is Coming!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Since I don't feel like forking over a $1 to the globe to be able to read it can you clarify how Davios is to blame?

Doyle's situation is common - the business is at the mercy of the landlord. Of course many times the landlord is also the same as the owner of the business. Property values have skyrocketed and people cash out.

Sometimes a bar owner lucks out like this classic case in Manhattan

When Hurley's Was Hopping | Front & Center at Rockefeller Center

In 1892, three Irishmen—Daniel and Connie Hurley and Patrick Daly—took a long-term lease on the building and named the ground-floor saloon Hurley Brothers and Daly, which quickly became known as just plain Hurley’s. The bar flourished until the enactment of Prohibition in 1920, but easily adapted to this monumental change by morphing into a speakeasy, with the saloon housed in the rear of the space (accessed by an unmarked door on 49th Street) and a florist shop established in its front window.

In 1928, John D. Rockefeller Jr. began assembling a large parcel of land in the neighborhood for the new Metropolitan Opera House, but after the stock market crashed, he changed his plans dramatically to create Rockefeller Center, aka "the city within the city." His agents purchased 1240 quickly enough, but then encountered a major stumbling block: Hurley’s owners, citing their long-term lease, refused to vacate. Rockefeller asked the Hurleys to make him an offer, and their response was $250 million—the same price that the entire complex was said to cost. Rockefeller declined. And so the RCA building (now known as 30 Rock) was constructed around 1240.

Sixth Avenue’s fortunes changed for the better after the El was demolished in 1939, and Hurley’s prospered too, with a new Rock Center–oriented following: Associated Press reporters and NBC staffers, from stars to stagehands, who nicknamed it Studio 1H. NBC talk show hosts, such as Jack Paar and Steve Allen, began to mention it on the air.

By the ’60s, the saloon became a clubhouse for local publishing and media types, drawn by its handy location and raffish charm. Johnny Carson was then NBC’s star late-night host, and he made Hurley’s a running gag in his monologues—it was the bar where Ed McMahon could be found drowning his sorrows. Random movers and shakers showed up, everyone from Howard Hughes and Henry Kissinger to John Belushi and Jack Kerouac.

Reactions: Fenian24

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Trying to watch TV and it keeps going to the screensaver mode every other minute. :mad:

Time to switch over to Netflix....

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

An iconic Boston bar established nearly 140 years ago has announced plans to close, workers confirmed to NewsCenter 5 Tuesday. Doyle's Cafe, located on Washington Street in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston, will shut its doors at a date yet to be determined, workers said.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hahahahaha.
upload_2019-9-10_18-55-37.png

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Too bad. I still enjoy Friendlys. Pretty good breakfast too.

Super melt, Coke, waffle fries and a sundae runs probably 17 bucks max. That’s if the melt isn’t running the free sundae special. Can’t beat it.
We used to eat at Friendly's growing up. Also at Bob's Big Boy, another chain that is almost extinct.

One of my favorite burger joints now is Culver's. Wisconsin cheese :thumbu:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I know I'm behind the times, but I finished my airplane ride binge watching of Breaking Bad on the flight to Wichita Falls on Sunday night. Not sure how to feel.

But I guess the timing is just right for the movie next month. Who needs a Downton Abby movie?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I know I'm behind the times, but I finished my airplane ride binge watching of Breaking Bad on the flight to Wichita Falls on Sunday night. Not sure how to feel.

But I guess the timing is just right for the movie next month. Who needs a Downton Abby movie?
I've never seen Breaking Bad, and have no plans to watch it. I watched a few episodes of Downton Abby but just never got into it. To be honest there are not really any current shows that I keep up with. I really should cut my cable subscription. :laugh:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Not going to lie....my wife started watching the Brady House renovation show on HGTV and it’s kinda awesome.

Lots of great memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad