OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2019 part XVI - Hockey Is Coming!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
so...have been thinking about doing this for quite some time but I wanted to make sure I was in the proper emotional and spiritual state to do so.

I was put up for adoption in 1969 and while being adopted was never a secret in our house, the information Mum and Dad showed both my sister(also adopted) and I was terribly limited in it`s scope. From what I understand, the amount of information an adopting parent now receives pales in comparison to way back then. I have never held any resentments, anger, sense of abandonment towards my biological parents. I have always believed that putting a child up for adoption is one of the most selfless things someone can do.

I have never tried to locate my biological parents or sibling that I know I have based on the records I was shown many years ago. Some strange occurrences over the past few weeks have inspired me to do so, not to "replace" my late parents in any way shape or form but simply to try and find out more about my medical history and "maybe" meet my BP`s if they are still alive. I work with a woman who in the last month located her birth mother via Ancestry and then a friend in Halifax told me the same, thought to myself there must be some kind of a message in all of this.

I contacted CAS (Children`s Aid Society) in Ottawa and filled out as much of paperwork I could and sent them all legal identification documents of mine to get the ball rolling.

The process they said was once my identification has been certified, they will send me copies of all the medical records then I would have to fill out and sign a waiver form putting my name and the same information I sent them into their database so if anyone is searching for me they have full permission to contact me if they so wish.

Fully understand that outside of my medical records, there is always a chance nobody contacts me and I am at a good place in my life emotionally that I could handle this.

I shall reveal more if anything comes of it

Good luck! :)

Reactions: Grumpy Grizz

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
so...have been thinking about doing this for quite some time but I wanted to make sure I was in the proper emotional and spiritual state to do so.

I was put up for adoption in 1969 and while being adopted was never a secret in our house, the information Mum and Dad showed both my sister(also adopted) and I was terribly limited in it`s scope. From what I understand, the amount of information an adopting parent now receives pales in comparison to way back then. I have never held any resentments, anger, sense of abandonment towards my biological parents. I have always believed that putting a child up for adoption is one of the most selfless things someone can do.

I have never tried to locate my biological parents or sibling that I know I have based on the records I was shown many years ago. Some strange occurrences over the past few weeks have inspired me to do so, not to "replace" my late parents in any way shape or form but simply to try and find out more about my medical history and "maybe" meet my BP`s if they are still alive. I work with a woman who in the last month located her birth mother via Ancestry and then a friend in Halifax told me the same, thought to myself there must be some kind of a message in all of this.

I contacted CAS (Children`s Aid Society) in Ottawa and filled out as much of paperwork I could and sent them all legal identification documents of mine to get the ball rolling.

The process they said was once my identification has been certified, they will send me copies of all the medical records then I would have to fill out and sign a waiver form putting my name and the same information I sent them into their database so if anyone is searching for me they have full permission to contact me if they so wish.

Fully understand that outside of my medical records, there is always a chance nobody contacts me and I am at a good place in my life emotionally that I could handle this.

This is amazing and I hope you get contacted!

My mom did ancestry and ended up finding a number of relatives on my grandfather's side of the family (he too, was adopted). It gave her a lot of information she had been seeking specifically around our Native American heritage. We know what tribe and where they originated but the documents we needed to prove everything were destroyed in a fire years ago.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
So back on the food topic. ..I hate potatoes. I don't like them fried, baked not any. I also don't eat squash, beets , lima beans or zucchini.

When I was a kid (a LONG time ago) we had to sit at the table until we ate what was on our plate. EVERY night the table would be cleared and I would be there with whatever the potato of the night was . I also hate beef stew, meatloaf and mac and cheese.

I love green beans broccoli, raw carrots, cukes, tomatoes, asparagus and others though.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
IMG_20190204_081753.jpg

This sums up my day nicely so far :laugh: :mad: :help:

Reactions: Alicat and BMC

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Here is a vid of my cousin's kid filling in in goal with some Bruins and other NHL'ers yesterday.

I talked to her today and she said that he doesn't get excited about much, but he was on cloud 9 all day.

The guys were great to him and he felt really confident. He knew they were taking it easy on him early, but as the skate wore on he could tell they were putting a little more effort in, once they realized he could handle things a bit.

At the end, the Bruins guys went to their locker room and he and the other NHL'ers -- Eichel most prominent, used a different one.

He said Eichel was awesome to him and that all the guys were cool.

My cousin asked him if he asked for any autographs and he said;

"no, that would be unprofessional"
LOL

The funniest part was as they were all filing out of the locker room, a bunch of kids were getting autographs and he was like..

"dude, you're wasting your time with me"

Regardless of whether he plays after HS, he'll always have this, which is pretty cool.

He did really well, good for him!!!

Reactions: sarge88

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
This is amazing and I hope you get contacted!

My mom did ancestry and ended up finding a number of relatives on my grandfather's side of the family (he too, was adopted). It gave her a lot of information she had been seeking specifically around our Native American heritage. We know what tribe and where they originated but the documents we needed to prove everything were destroyed in a fire years ago.
My wife gave me an Ancestry account for my birthday 2 years ago. My dad grew up in orphanages in the 19120's because his father died of complications of injuries sustained in WWI. My grandmother was a nurse and back then there were no child services etc so from 3 years old he was put in the orphanage so that she could work. So because of that we didn't know much of that side of the family history until now. Once we joined I had cousins come out of the woodwork. Two of which came to my 6th birthday party (last time I saw them). I thought that I would never find out their names. I got all kinds of newspaper articles, family history etc. My wife researched and found out the name and location of the 500+ year old church in the Azores that my great grandparents were baptized, and received first communion in. We went there on tour in June and I took pictures of everything. The biggest thrill was that over the alter there was our family crest with our family name. I was almost brought to tears! There are a bunch of other stories that I have because of the work that Ancestry.com did...

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

My adoption background is similar to yours. Always known I was adopted, no issues with it, limited info on birth parents/family and medical issues. I've been thinking about researching in order to find medical history. Maryland's records are still closed but it looks like you can ask them to do some digging.

I hope you find what you are looking for!

:heart: a fellow adoptee :)

Reactions: Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
So back on the food topic. ..I hate potatoes. I don't like them fried, baked not any. I also don't eat squash, beets , lima beans or zucchini.

When I was a kid (a LONG time ago) we had to sit at the table until we ate what was on our plate. EVERY night the table would be cleared and I would be there with whatever the potato of the night was . I also hate beef stew, meatloaf and mac and cheese.

I love green beans broccoli, raw carrots, cukes, tomatoes, asparagus and others though.
I'm not sure if I'm prepared for the answer on this but....

.... How do you feel about cookies? :laugh:

Reactions: Seidenbergy and BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I'm a potato girl- mashed, baked, fried it doesn't matter I love 'em. Unfortunately there are too many carbs in potatoes and on the advice of my doctor I am cutting way back on them. Rice too.

Beef stew is another favorite. Odd, I don't mind vegetables in soups or stews. Probably because I can't taste/smell them.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Your friendly HF Bruins food critic suggests you try this

LqwfHXpas4s4YuJs074WBVB-2uFI4xcQ7DB9i8xuhFw.jpg

Dalessandro's Steaks and Hoagies. Philadelphia, PA

It is located in Roxborough ( where all the TV towers are ) and worth it.
Curious about your opinion. I think Pat's and Geno's are both overrated. Steve's Prince of Steaks and Jim's are both better (at least the Jim's I had). And Abner's never disappointed, though often it was after a night out in college, so taste buds may have been "altered". I did go to Abner's a couple times in the past few years, and it was as good as I remember.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I watched an episode of House Hunters the other week where the wife's dealbreaker was that the front door of the house had to face east because it's "good luck".
Don't mess with the Feng Shui!
Related to job: The east-facing front door suggests that the sun rises in the east, symbolizing vitality.
In general: The east-facing front door facilitates good family life, thus suitable for big families seeking harmonious and happy life.

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I don't mind potatoes, but they're only on my plate if they come with the meal - and if I can find someone whose plate needs fries, mashed potatoes, or whatever potato product I have...I'll gladly donate. The only potatoes I really like are sweet potatoes - fried or baked is fine, and no need for all that brown sugar/marshmallow stuff. Plain works for me. Honestly, I'd rather have a small salad with my burger than fries.

My big culinary Achilles heel is mushrooms. Ugh. They're in everything, too. They taste like metal to me....although I'd probably rather lick a car door than eat a mushroom. I honestly don't see how some hominid years ago was walking in the forest, saw a fungus growing on the ground, and thought, "Hey, you know what? This should go in my mouth!" Also a miracle that the hominid didn't die from eating a poison mushroom.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I don't mind potatoes, but they're only on my plate if they come with the meal - and if I can find someone whose plate needs fries, mashed potatoes, or whatever potato product I have...I'll gladly donate. The only potatoes I really like are sweet potatoes - fried or baked is fine, and no need for all that brown sugar/marshmallow stuff. Plain works for me. Honestly, I'd rather have a small salad with my burger than fries.

The shaking is getting worse. Someone's going to need to talk me down pronto.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
As I posted earlier, I am a potato girl all the way. However I have to reduce my carbohydrate intake so I won't be eating as much of them from now on. Bummer.

That i can totally understand!

Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm not sure if I'm prepared for the answer on this but....

.... How do you feel about cookies? :laugh:
I don't like Oreos. I prefer home made cookies. The only store bought ones I love are the windmill cookies that are great for dipping in tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad