OT: Off Topic 2019 part X - Can anybody beat James Holzhauer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Just bowled my best game ever...

Screenshot_20190501-173256.png

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Good lord. Gabe candlepins for cash ladies and gentlemen.

Yes i know this is ten pin

I was actually on Candlepins for Cash many, many, many moons ago :wally:

I was working vacation relief at Channel 4 at the time and this exchange happened

Bob Gamere - Where do you work?
Me: WBZ Channel 4
Gamere: This is WNAC Channel 7, you can't say that.
Me: I just did

The segment aired unedited :laugh:

They taped the show for the week on Sunday afternoon and Gamere would run across the street to the Red Hat for a pop after each show and my show was the Friday one and he was BOMBED.

The jackpot was $1200 which in 1977 was a nice piece of change. I just didn't want to throw a gutter ball and wound up hitting the headpin square and won $7
:party:

I was flabbergasted by how many people I had known saw that show- I even heard from my kindergarten teacher.

BTW we all know that Bob Gamere is a tortured soul and commenting on his demise will serve no purpose. His son has done very well at NESN and is a great person. I saw Bob last summer at Suffolk Downs and he hasn't changed one iota. :cry:

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
There is still at least one duckpin establishment in Massachusetts in Chelmsford

View attachment 223433

Up until a couple years ago, there was a duckpin alley in East Providence (EP Bowling Academy). But the owner got old and sold it, new owners turned it into a bus lot.

There's one in Pawtucket...Breaktime Bowl. Fun twist being its all hand operated. You have actual pin setters who roll the balls back to you. Its in an old factory, and is original to it. The factory owners built the alley as a way to keep workers in the building on breaks.

Reactions: BMC

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I grew up in Maryland with duckpin bowling. I moved south and discovered nobody knew what that was lol.

I hear ya, nobody knows Candlepin here in Minnesota.

I've come to really love bowling, been in a league the last 3 years with my dad. My average has climbed from the 150s to the 170s... But I've been hot the past 3 months, averaging 190 since February.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I was working vacation relief at Channel 4 at the time and this exchange happened

They taped the show for the week on Sunday afternoon and Gamere would run across the street to the Red Hat for a pop after each show and my show was the Friday one and he was BOMBED.

The jackpot was $1200 which in 1977 was a nice piece of change. I just didn't want to throw a gutter ball and wound up hitting the headpin square and won $7
:party:

I was flabbergasted by how many people I had known saw that show- I even heard from my kindergarten teacher.

BTW we all know that Bob Gamere is a tortured soul and commenting on his demise will serve no purpose. His son has done very well at NESN and is a great person. I saw Bob last summer at Suffolk Downs and he hasn't changed one iota. :cry:

Was hoping that would be the episode with you on it. But alas!

Reactions: Kovi and Bruinaura

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Up until a couple years ago, there was a duckpin alley in East Providence (EP Bowling Academy). But the owner got old and sold it, new owners turned it into a bus lot.

There's one in Pawtucket...Breaktime Bowl. Fun twist being its all hand operated. You have actual pin setters who roll the balls back to you. Its in an old factory, and is original to it. The factory owners built the alley as a way to keep workers in the building on breaks.

I hear ya, nobody knows Candlepin here in Minnesota.

I've come to really love bowling, been in a league the last 3 years with my dad. My average has climbed from the 150s to the 170s... But I've been hot the past 3 months, averaging 190 since February.

There was a candlepin alley in Amesbury, where we used to live. But I heard it was just sold and they'll be converting it to ten-pin, though I can't find confirmation of the sale online.

Gabe, That's a cool thing you get to do with your dad. moving to AZ has been great, except that it has taken me further away from my kids. but they are in three different states, so it's not like I'd get to owl with them every week anyway. But the occasional round of golf would be nice too.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Damn what a story. Had to google Gamere to refresh my memory of his demons.

I bowled leagues as a kid at Lucky Strike in the early 90s. Then continued for a few more years in the south shore when we moved. I think i stopped around age 12. I was averaging 87, which i think is still pretty damn good.

Reactions: rfournier103

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I watched this every time it was on with my dad sitting in his recliner and smoking Chestertfield.
I'm a little weepy right now.

edit: I was not smoking.

Last edited:

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Sorry, friend. Hope they come through for all of us!
thanks.

after two and a half years or working short handed we got a full timer that filled our need. that was two months ago. Today he gave his two weeks notice so there goes my summer of working only 50ish hours a week.

then i get home to one of my daughters have an issue with a bully at school. same bully that we had to deal with six months ago that I thought was taken care of. hard to hear about your daughter crying at school as soon as you walk into the house after a day like that.

Bruins better win or I am going to be extra pissed haha.

Reactions: BMC

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
thanks.

after two and a half years or working short handed we got a full timer that filled our need. that was two months ago. Today he gave his two weeks notice so there goes my summer of working only 50ish hours a week.

then i get home to one of my daughters have an issue with a bully at school. same bully that we had to deal with six months ago that I thought was taken care of. hard to hear about your daughter crying at school as soon as you walk into the house after a day like that.

Oh man...

Believe me when I say I’m wishing you the best of luck with your daughter.

Reactions: BMC and Scotto74

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
thanks.

Sorry to hear that. Your positivity always picks me up.

Reactions: BMC and Scotto74

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I watched this every time it was on with my dad sitting in his recliner and smoking Chestertfield.
I'm a little weepy right now.

edit: I was not smoking.
The guy who cut my hair in North Quincy used to go to Candlepins for Cash every Tuesday when they filmed and sit in the small bleachers. he'd be cutting my hair, and Channel 5 would be on and I could see him on TV and see him in the mirror cutting my hair at the same time. It freaked me out as a 5-year old.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Soooo, I'm almost 50 years old and I have my first date since I was 23 years old tomorrow night. We're going to the Blazers v. Nuggets Game 3. Gulp. How in the actual **** am I going to behave like a lady at THAT??!?!?!?!
Not to be super negative, but that's a really crappy setting for a first date IMO. Hard to chat and give someone your full attention.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad