OT: Off Topic 2019 part X - Can anybody beat James Holzhauer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Problem is panels aren't cheap enough to be worth it for most homes, and aren't efficient enough to be viable on a large scale for power grids.

Hydro is the best bet either in dams, or the tech they're developing to use the energy of tides
I agree with part of that first sentence. and I honestly have no knowledge of hydro energy.

I know that panels have improved tremendously--we have newly upgraded panels. Most states also don't have 360ish days of uninterrupted sunshine. So I get your point totally.
It's also usually just GM and me, so our consumption isnt ridiculously high as it would be if 7 people were living here. We also bought and didnt lease. Leasing gets you into trouble.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
upload_2019-4-22_20-11-2.jpeg

Lola: Wake up, mommy. Are the Bruins playing tonight, mommy?

Mrs. rfournier103: No, baby. Tomorrow night.

Lola: Is it tomorrow yet?

Mrs. rfournier103: Sigh.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I agree with part of that first sentence. and I honestly have no knowledge of hydro energy.

I know that panels have improved tremendously--we have newly upgraded panels. Most states also don't have 360ish days of uninterrupted sunshine. So I get your point totally.
It's also usually just GM and me, so our consumption isnt ridiculously high as it would be if 7 people were living here. We also bought and didnt lease. Leasing gets you into trouble.

That makes sense, yeah the leasing is where they get you.

Tidal power has the best potential because the tides never stop and water is 8x thicker than air so it's far more efficient than wind farms.

Same general idea as wind, the tides turn turbines to generate power. Couple countries have set up smaller installations and Scotland is making a 400mw one

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Headed into Final Jeopardy, James has over $52,000. Second place has...just over $4,000.

Dude is a machine. Whenever they zoom out and show all three contestants, the other two just look crestfallen.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Headed into Final Jeopardy, James has over $52,000. Second place has...just over $4,000.

Dude is a machine. Whenever they zoom out and show all three contestants, the other two just look crestfallen.

His strategy is simple - answer the high valued questions early and there is no way they can come back.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
30 years Boston was the 5th largest metro area in the US - Now it is 10th.

It really seems most of the rust belt has moved to Texas

upload_2019-4-22_23-4-47.png

Reactions: rfournier103

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I loved the episode one of my all time favorites

A+

Unfortunately it’s the calm before the storm

Not sure all these characters are going to live happily ever after
Just my take overall on the books and series. Not to get political but the White Walkers are global warming and they are slowly taking over as man goes about his various power plays ( in this case based off the English civil war). I think Martin may have a different even darker ending in the books than the tv show will have. I expect Red Wedding like carnage next week but in the end I think man will overcome the Walkers and one of Dany, Jon or Jamie will sit on the Throne. (Dany turning on Jon would not surprise me at all at this point)

I know Martin laid out the ending he has planned in the books to the showrunners at HBO but I can still see him doing something like having the Walkers win and mankind surviving just on the islands while the walkers take all of Westeros.

Either way I have really enjoyed the first two episodes, liked the closure of some stories this week (Sam giving Mormont the Tully family sword, Brienne and Jamies arc I really feel is over, one won't be surviving next week, grey worm and missandei, again I don't think both survive next week) and setting up the redemption of Theon.

I'm really curious after the carnage where episodes 4-6 go to.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
ENDGAME PREDICTIONS TIME:
The real villain is revealed to be Ivan Vanko’s bird , upon which Quicksilver also returns and says “You didn’t see THAT coming?”
Edward Norton’s Hulk and Terrence Howard’s War Machine cross over from the other dimension along with Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine and Tobey Maguire’s Spider-Man to join the fight.
Peggy Carter and the rest of the Howling Commandos’ ghosts teams up with Tim Roth’s Abomination in another timeline.
George Lucas’ version of Howard the Duck appears alongside Lea Thompson.
Senator Stern (a CGI Larry Sanders) and Princess Leia (CGI Carrie Fisher) have cameos during the final battle.
No core Avengers perish in the final battle.
Galactus is revealed to be the next “big bad”.

Reactions: LSCII

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just my take overall on the books and series. Not to get political but the White Walkers are global warming and they are slowly taking over as man goes about his various power plays ( in this case based off the English civil war). I think Martin may have a different even darker ending in the books than the tv show will have. I expect Red Wedding like carnage next week but in the end I think man will overcome the Walkers and one of Dany, Jon or Jamie will sit on the Throne. (Dany turning on Jon would not surprise me at all at this point)

I know Martin laid out the ending he has planned in the books to the showrunners at HBO but I can still see him doing something like having the Walkers win and mankind surviving just on the islands while the walkers take all of Westeros.

Either way I have really enjoyed the first two episodes, liked the closure of some stories this week (Sam giving Mormont the Tully family sword, Brienne and Jamies arc I really feel is over, one won't be surviving next week, grey worm and missandei, again I don't think both survive next week) and setting up the redemption of Theon.

I'm really curious after the carnage where episodes 4-6 go to.
Martin describes it as ‘bittersweet’ and ‘who he is’ factors in the ending

I’m no expert on him but he was a kid who loved comic books and underdogs

He was a huge fan of the Namath Jets and 1969 Miracle Mets. He’s passionate about animals and wolves.

What’s the mean?

It will not be a dark ending and likely a somewhat feel good ending as long as you can deal with many great characters and love stories dead.

The good will prevail in the end.

My feeling is Jon Snow is the underdog Jets/Miracle Mets and Dany dies saving him knowing the ramifications one would survive situation.

Jamie I do think makes it to the end and takes out Cersi

I believe the Mountain mortally wounds the Hound but he’s around long enough to see Arya dance and slice her way to getting the Mountain off his feet and using needle to finish him off

Overall I have no clue who lives and dies and I’ve got more favorites than the 2011 Bruins

Sam & Gilly somehow factor in taking the Night King down

My guess it’s Jon Snow. Jamie, and the Stark girls - but that new opening with the wolf head cut off is a concern

Someone has to win and going with the kid who was a bastard turned king

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My prediction for the end of GoT: The White Walkers are defeated. Dany goes full Mad Queen and betrays Jon and kills him so she can win the throne. She in turn gets killed by Arya/Sansa. Sansa is offed by Peter Baleish, who turns out is a faceless man. Cersei kills Tyrion and in turn gets offed by Jamie. Jamie gets killed by the Mountain who is then killed by the Hound.

When the smoke clears, Arya has won the throne. As the show is rolling to the end credits, it's revealed that Arya is really the waif and is joined by Little Finger to run Westeros. Nobody wins.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I just did 3 days worth of work in a morning. I am starting a class tomorrow and my coworker back East needed the multimedia presentation for Sunday.
Working at home definitely has perks, but it can be hard to make yourself have an end-point. No social/cultural cues to get the heck up from the desk.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
In a month and change 2 friends and I will be venturing out to the desert and visiting area 51. One of my friends is a photographer and I hope he will get some great shots of the landscape and all/any abandon things we find in the desert. Already have our room booked at Lil Alien Inn. Should be fun and hot..............I hope not too hot.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
In a month and change 2 friends and I will be venturing out to the desert and visiting area 51. One of my friends is a photographer and I hope he will get some great shots of the landscape and all/any abandon things we find in the desert. Already have our room booked at Lil Alien Inn. Should be fun and hot..............I hope not too hot.
Night Photography, night photography.

Reactions: VegasPatriot

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
ENDGAME PREDICTIONS TIME:
The real villain is revealed to be Ivan Vanko’s bird , upon which Quicksilver also returns and says “You didn’t see THAT coming?”
Edward Norton’s Hulk and Terrence Howard’s War Machine cross over from the other dimension along with Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine and Tobey Maguire’s Spider-Man to join the fight.
Peggy Carter and the rest of the Howling Commandos’ ghosts teams up with Tim Roth’s Abomination in another timeline.
George Lucas’ version of Howard the Duck appears alongside Lea Thompson.
Senator Stern (a CGI Larry Sanders) and Princess Leia (CGI Carrie Fisher) have cameos during the final battle.
No core Avengers perish in the final battle.
Galactus is revealed to be the next “big bad”.
I hope Galactus isn't involved at all considering how much the butchered Dormammu in Doctor Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad