OT: Off Topic 2019 part VI - Winter is no longer coming - IT HAS ARRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Jeopardy>>>WWTBAM

And speaking of Jeopardy, did anyone see last night's game? That guy Andy had a runaway for 90% of the game, then a late comeback from the woman in 2nd place and a total chokejob on Final Jeopardy cost him the game. Then he looked incredibly angry during the credits.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
One more hour until I hit the road for the airport. I hope the weather here in TX isn't an issue for my 5:30 flight. Looks like I should be able to take off, but might be bumpy for a bit. I just hope my incoming airplane isn't delayed (or cancelled)
Nope nope nope
they are saying overnight is worse. You are just going to make it.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Nice twist - you can use the counteroffer once

They tape now at Universal Orlando

I was shocked that the Banker accepted the counteroffer - the fair value was about $466K, and that's ignoring any value you assign to safety. The banker always offers a fraction of the expected value/mean (usually starting fairly low, like 20% of fair value, and increasing to as much as 90-95% at the end), which is actually a reasonable proposition. If you offered me 90 cents for free, or a coin flip for 200 cents, it's a no brainer - flip. If you offer me $90K, or a coin flip for $200K, it's also a no brainer...safety.

I'm impressed that she managed to basically squeeze the value of a new car out of the banker. If I were on, I'd be tempted to be a jerk and counter $999,999 after the first round (assuming the million was still in play), thinking that they'd never take a "bad" offer...but after seeing that you can get over 100% of your value, I'd probably be nice.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If it wasn't for this thread, I'd have no idea that Who Wants to be a Millionaire was still a thing.

M-F 12:30 on Channel 5 :)

From today

upload_2018-12-13_15-45-24.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was shocked that the Banker accepted the counteroffer - the fair value was about $466K, and that's ignoring any value you assign to safety. The banker always offers a fraction of the expected value/mean (usually starting fairly low, like 20% of fair value, and increasing to as much as 90-95% at the end), which is actually a reasonable proposition. If you offered me 90 cents for free, or a coin flip for 200 cents, it's a no brainer - flip. If you offer me $90K, or a coin flip for $200K, it's also a no brainer...safety.

I'm impressed that she managed to basically squeeze the value of a new car out of the banker. If I were on, I'd be tempted to be a jerk and counter $999,999 after the first round (assuming the million was still in play), thinking that they'd never take a "bad" offer...but after seeing that you can get over 100% of your value, I'd probably be nice.

Last week this happened

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
FINALLY!!!

Twinkle Twinkle Little Rock Star has as a CD of Judas Priest songs done in lullabye form. Ordered from Amazon along with Broadway classics as lullabies, including songs from Phantom and Les Mis.....

Woo Hoo...Happy Christmas to ME!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Well the Banker was generous here

upload_2018-12-14_2-42-20.png

He took it - good move

upload_2018-12-14_2-49-55.png

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
It’s Christmas for Bruce fans!!!
Springsteen on Broadway on Spotify today; Netflix Sunday!
He closes his amazing run tomorrow night.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Someone drove a truck through my friends living room yesterday. Tracy was sleeping on the couch at the time. Truck missed her by about 2 feet and a support beam fell and missed her by 6 inches. No one was hurt, but, the important stuff: a brand new amplifier and at least 1 guitar were demolished!

Truck crashes through house in Templeton; no injuries

Saw that.
My brother in law lives in Templeton. right through the house. guy must have been hauling.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Someone drove a truck through my friends living room yesterday. Tracy was sleeping on the couch at the time. Truck missed her by about 2 feet and a support beam fell and missed her by 6 inches. No one was hurt, but, the important stuff: a brand new amplifier and at least 1 guitar were demolished!

Truck crashes through house in Templeton; no injuries

Her guardian angel got one hell of a workout, I'll say that!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Well Im officially out of work now on holiday until Jan 7.

Cant wait for my kids to come for Christmas.
Thats all I want.

Nice, enjoy the time, we told my son we`d be more than happy to fly him out to Victoria for the big day but he seemed less than enthusiastic so....put his gifts in the mail and that`s all we can do. We are both a touch disappointed but...

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Nice, enjoy the time, we told my son we`d be more than happy to fly him out to Victoria for the big day but he seemed less than enthusiastic so....put his gifts in the mail and that`s all we can do. We are both a touch disappointed but...

Sorry to hear that Andrew Maybe the future will be brighter for all.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
KFC firelog that smells just like its fried chicken sells out in hours

b6177038-9e86-4484-bcf8-9eaa5a75ff5b-firelog.jpg

Just in time for winter, KFC is bringing the heat.

Kentucky Fried Chicken doesn't have a new spicy sandwich but rather a firelog that smells like its fried chicken.

The limited edition 11 Herbs & Spices Firelog costs $18.99 and is available while supplies last at www.kfcfirelogs.com. The price includes tax, shipping and handling.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

b6177038-9e86-4484-bcf8-9eaa5a75ff5b-firelog.jpg

Just in time for winter, KFC is bringing the heat.

Kentucky Fried Chicken doesn't have a new spicy sandwich but rather a firelog that smells like its fried chicken.

The limited edition 11 Herbs & Spices Firelog costs $18.99 and is available while supplies last at www.kfcfirelogs.com. The price includes tax, shipping and handling.

What a yankee swap gift this would've been! Dang!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Reactions: BMC

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm feeling a little of that. this will be the first Christmas where I don't get to spend at least some time with my kids. I knew that would be something to deal with when we moved, but it's still hard.

Reactions: Kovi

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm feeling a little of that. this will be the first Christmas where I don't get to spend at least some time with my kids. I knew that would be something to deal with when we moved, but it's still hard.

Yeah I hear you, well, we are just going to enjoy all the family we will have around us and be ok with that. This is our first Christmas in BC, loads of the bride`s family here so we certainly won`t be lonely.

Reactions: Kovi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->