OT: Off Topic 2019 part VI - Winter is no longer coming - IT HAS ARRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
dont sweat the "perfect" timeline.

I'm recovering from shoulder surgery #3 right now. Had a bicep tenodesis done (cut the bicep muscle off the shoulder and screwed it to the arm bone).

I'm 10 weeks out. Only in certain directions do i have full range of motion back. Its still creaky and sore. Just now starting some of the strengthening parts of PT. PT for it is 6 months, full recovery is 12.

Shoulders always take a while to heal and get back to where you were.

My other 2 surgeries were the same way. 6 month PT recovery then I could start getting back all the strength I lost (lost ~20lbs of size each time). All in, its usually 18-24 months to get my strength and size back up to pre injury levels.

Just have to do everything they tell you at PT. Doing the exercises and stretching religiously at home makes a big difference.

PT caught wind of the chat i had with the ortho, and beat the piss out of me today. Funny how they act so sweet and kind while they are basically doing chin ups on my fully extended arm. Real nice people.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I also wasn't a big fan of the article. His approach was that a car is 100% utilitarian, with one purpose - to get you from point A to point B. But a car is more than that. It's an extension of your personality, and the assertion that no one outside of a rancher should own a full size truck was downright laughable.

Part of the Mr. Money Mustache persona is to question all things considered normal. The guy in an engineer which helps taking the feelings out of things. But he did retire form full time work when he was in his 30s. I see so many people who make good money, hate their jobs, but their spending (like on cars) is keeping them from being free.

He can be abrasive in his writing but his blog, Frugalwoods, Jim Collins, and others in the FIRE (financial independence, retire early) community have some amazing advice for people of all ages. It sure changed the course of my life.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Part of the Mr. Money Mustache persona is to question all things considered normal. The guy in an engineer which helps taking the feelings out of things. But he did retire form full time work when he was in his 30s. I see so many people who make good money, hate their jobs, but their spending (like on cars) is keeping them from being free.

He can be abrasive in his writing but his blog, Frugalwoods, Jim Collins, and others in the FIRE (financial independence, retire early) community have some amazing advice for people of all ages. It sure changed the course of my life.

Let's say I live a frugal lifestyle with the intention of retiring at 45 and living large when I retire, and I die at 44.

Life's unpredictable. To each their own, but it's not for me.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Let's say I live a frugal lifestyle with the intention of retiring at 45 and living large when I retire, and I die at 44.

Life's unpredictable. To each their own, but it's not for me.

My mom and dad decided one year to charge a cruise and take a real vacation for once to make some nice memories. They deserved it, my bro and I were out of the house and they both had great retirement plans but not much extra money. They loved it so much they went to an all inclusive the next year and charged it. Two years later my mom was diagnosed with cancer again and two years later she passed at 53 and my dad was 54, both 10 plus years from retirement. Best thing they ever did. Live life and get a life insurance policy, life is too short to overly worry about 20 years from now. Don't live in constant overwhelming debt, but don't write everything off either if you can't afford it cash wise right now either. You never know.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
My mom and dad decided one year to charge a cruise and take a real vacation for once to make some nice memories. They deserved it, my bro and I were out of the house and they both had great retirement plans but not much extra money. They loved it so much they went to an all inclusive the next year and charged it. Two years later my mom was diagnosed with cancer again and two years later she passed at 53 and my dad was 54, both 10 plus years from retirement. Best thing they ever did. Live life and get a life insurance policy, life is too short to overly worry about 20 years from now. Don't live in constant overwhelming debt, but don't write everything off either if you can't afford it cash wise right now either. You never know.

Yes, and to each is or her own, but to me it's a balance. I watched my parents do it. They saved and invested wisely, but they took vacations, too, but again they did it wisely.

They lived long and comfortably. Ma died at 86 and the old man made it to 93.

I'm trying to learn from them, even though in my younger days I was out of control. I didn't save any $, but I didn't rack up debt either.

Now, I'm counting the days to retirement...OK, years! LOL, but not that many years.

Anyway, for every story like my folks, there's one like your folks, and frankly, ya just never know.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yes, and to each is or her own, but to me it's a balance. I watched my parents do it. They saved and invested wisely, but they took vacations, too, but again they did it wisely.

I'm trying to learn from them, even though in my younger days I was out of control. I didn't save any $, but I didn't rack up debt either.

Now, I'm counting the days to retirement...OK, years! LOL, but not that many years.

Anyway, for every story like my folks, there's one like your folks, and frankly, ya just never know.

So true. My dad now has a pension, 2 401ks, social security and an annuity. He has more money they he knows what to do with, but he's alone.

I have a lot of life insurance. If I die, my bills are easily paid and my family will be good to go. if I live to retirement, my bills are easily paid and I'll be good to go. I don't spend a lot of money, but if my wife wanted to take a once in a lifetime vacation, I would have no issue paying for it any way I had to. Life is just too short.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Balance is the key.

What is important to you? Thats rhetorical.

Life changes as you go on. Especially if kids come along. Priorities shift. Then years creep up on you. Faster than you can ever imagine.

Anyone that lives soley for the day is as dumb as the one that doesnt live at all.

Balance. Vision. Satisfaction.
That my advice.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I too made so many ill advised moves, most coming from the fact that Alcohol/Drugs ran the show for me for years.

Lost both parents over the last 4 years and they left my sis and I in a nice spot. I immediately paid off all debt I had and I maxed out a tax free savings account. I have had to dip into it from time to time as sometimes life just gets bloody expensive and my bride went back to college and we only had one income coming in for quite some time.

I also did something my mother insisted I do with some of the money and that was treat me and my better half to a great vacation. I did, hit Sandals in Jamaica a few years back, had such a great deal on another Sandals in Barbados we went last year and tied the knot and also made a booking for a return in 2020 for our 2nd anniversary but again, only going because of the great deals we got while on the site

In the last year I did something I was very shaky about doing, stock investments. Marijuana was recently legalized here and I invested not in pot companies but invested in companies who supplied some necessary materials for all the government sponsored grow ops. Now, I wouldn`t have had the $$ if not for my folks but I did a ton of research and assessed a reasonable amount that, if I lost it all, wouldn`t change our way of living. I bought in to two different companies supplying two separate products, purchased shares in both with a share selling initially for under 10$

Both blew up and I cashed in when one hit $41/share and the other $38 and change, they have since gone up but not by much and I walked with a real nice penny. I now only have one stock and I`m not sure I`m allowed to mention who it`s with but it`s a car company whose stock fell a ton a while ago and I bought really low

Any way you cut it though, I have not just discipline with my dollars now but respect for it. My folks worked hard to leave us both with some financial breathing room, didn`t want to blow it with outlandish purchases

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
[ not directed at anyone] I agree with the notion that FIRE is about cutting out excess and "adding value". When you spend money it should be to make a connection with whatever it is you're buying. In other words, if you are spending willy-nilly and shit is piling up, then you are not being grateful for what you own and it becomes "stuff.' When it becomes "stuff" then you are disconnected and it's a barrier --having been married to a hoarder, I understand this--

This is all fine and it allows (you) to live in gratitude and energy balance with your surroundings.

However, I don't agree with living from fear or a place of lack....that never promotes abundance....ever. Regardless of what it "looks like" (ie. I'm being frugal), its still fear. and, it will get stronger and more limiting.

Everyone has their own jam.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I work hard and I play hard. I invest, I add to my savings each paycheck. I have a little more credit card debt than I'd like, but I'm working to pay that down. We've found a good balance, can always work to save a little more, but in general I'm comfortable where we are for the age we are.

We do well balancing the practicality and the splurges. The challenge is as our income grows, to not spend like it is. That's what we're working on now.

Reactions: Kovi and Fenway

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I have good luck with budgeting websites like Mint or personal capital, especially their net worth tracking. It really helped to see mortgage principal pay down and 401k contributions add to the overall number every day.

Lifestyle inflation is a huge thing to be aware of. Like kovi put it, FIRE is about choosing to spend money on what makes you happy but also looking at what you are spending on and asking if it is worth it.

For us it was cutting the fat in utilities and cars. We saved hundreds of $$ by getting mass save out to replace the lightbulbs, improving insulation, cancelling, cable, changing cell phones, selling two cars with loans and replacing it with one paid off car and a T pass. Don’t miss any of it and it was almost $1,000 per month with hardly ever noticing.

I’m not bringing this stuff up to be a douche. A friend mentioned it to me in passing after we had our first kid and were struggling on one income. We immersionsed ourselves in it for a few months and made some big changes as a result.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I have good luck with budgeting websites like Mint or personal capital, especially their net worth tracking. It really helped to see mortgage principal pay down and 401k contributions add to the overall number every day.

Lifestyle inflation is a huge thing to be aware of. Like kovi put it, FIRE is about choosing to spend money on what makes you happy but also looking at what you are spending on and asking if it is worth it.

For us it was cutting the fat in utilities and cars. We saved hundreds of $$ by getting mass save out to replace the lightbulbs, improving insulation, cancelling, cable, changing cell phones, selling two cars with loans and replacing it with one paid off car and a T pass. Don’t miss any of it and it was almost $1,000 per month with hardly ever noticing.

I’m not bringing this stuff up to be a *****e. A friend mentioned it to me in passing after we had our first kid and were struggling on one income. We immersionsed ourselves in it for a few months and made some big changes as a result.

Great post Morris, my bride and I, even after my parents will was settled sold our 2nd car and picked our spots very conservatively as to when and when we wouldn`t go out for a meal or takeouts. Those things add up. I work in the restaurant biz, I get a 50% discount on food, on long shifts, I still bring my own leftovers in and heat em` up, many of my coworkers laugh but I`m not the one who is biting their nails waiting for pay day

We used to get all the channels with our cable supplier, got rid of the movie channels and a few others, saved ourselves 40$ over last 3 years along per month, over $1000 in that time, nice chunk of change

I budget myself a certain amount of cash weekly, I use ONLY my own branch`s bank machines, I rarely pay using debit, all those things reduced service charges, another huge amount saved.

Lot`s of ways to cut the fat, it`s not easy to adjust but it can be done

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
A little more on Ohashi’s coach Miss Val

Veteran coach Valorie Kondos Field hails current U.S. gymnasts | Olympic Channel

UCLA has had many athletes who were abused by Larry Nassar come through its doors and what Miss Val has done to support them and give them a rebirth is inspiring.

I’m in the middle of her book right now and I highly recommend it.

Another note on Ohashi:

Edit: Ohashi says she was not abused by Nassar.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This snow storm couldn't hit at a worse time.

It is Red Sox Winter Weekend at Foxwoods and I just had to add on another night's stay because this damn storm isn't supposed to stop until Sunday night.

The problem I have is that I have to work on Monday.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Mommy Brag - my daughter's Varsity HS team, that she is head coach of, earned their first win of the season and her first win as a Varsity Head Coach in the MIAA today. Not bad for a 23 year old kid :)
This is awesome. One thing I'm actually missing this year after our move is reffing (and even just going to) high school games. Congrats to your daughter. I'm sure she and the whole team were thrilled. Girls high school hockey is improving quickly in Mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad