OT: Off Topic 2019 part IX - Spring is coming - REALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It’s amazing how family can really be the ones who cut us to the core.

We had a makeshift family get together yesterday. As always, it was a nightmare from a planning prospective.

I made a cameo.

As always, it turned into my mother complaining that, no matter how many health foods she tries, “none of them work”. Then she made a remark to me “Have you gained a few pounds? You used to be so skinny.” It made me so angry. Even when I take a step back and think that this is a very lonely and negative person who feels bad about herself and her life, it still upset me.

Thankfully, the homily at mass this morning was all about body image and how we see ourselves and each other. It’s what I needed to hear.

I'm glad the homily was of help, just when you needed it.

I'm sorry if your mother is negative, especially to her son. And, you can feel two (or more) things at once. Angry as well as sad.

I've been very fortunate to have a mom, now in her twilight, who was loving to me. Even if she wasn't always emotionally "there," as it were.

I have a friend who is estranged from her only surviving sibling. "I have to love him form afar." Maybe there is something to this.

In the event, remember all that is good in your life and do your best.

No one can, or should, ask more.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
It’s amazing how family can really be the ones who cut us to the core.

We had a makeshift family get together yesterday. As always, it was a nightmare from a planning prospective.

I made a cameo.

As always, it turned into my mother complaining that, no matter how many health foods she tries, “none of them work”. Then she made a remark to me “Have you gained a few pounds? You used to be so skinny.” It made me so angry. Even when I take a step back and think that this is a very lonely and negative person who feels bad about herself and her life, it still upset me.

Thankfully, the homily at mass this morning was all about body image and how we see ourselves and each other. It’s what I needed to hear.
Mothers being mothers.

Both my parents are in their late 70’s but they are still here and huge pains at times.
My father just went through 6 months of surgeries and radiation of bladder cancer. Miserable trough to everyone and bad things said by him but understandably so.

They love us and the parent habits will always be there for us

She loves you and wants the best for you

Reactions: smithformeragent

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Breath-taking....so many little details you don't see on a small screen...the acting is amazing....

Perfect...and another check off the bucket list...

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." i think I saw GWTW on the big screen in 1972. The swear, of course, is the only line I remember. The Wizard of Oz was released in '39 as well.

Reactions: BMC

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Immature but these are always good for a laugh

LOL the lady in the second to last one calling them **** off Assholes in front of her young child.

Whats worse your child being scared for a second or you using that language in front of them?

Last edited:

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
My last comment on that post made me reflect how parenting is harder these days. I mean hard if you suck as a parent. My ex would always say dont swear in front of kids. Yet the same parent lets them have their own phones and be exposed to the cess pool of social media.

So while she is mad at me for just calling some dude a f***ing piece of shit for just cutting us off wildly her kids in the back are watching videos of dudes getting their heads blown off, twerking videos with the music in the back have numerous cuz words and sexual references.

My future kids wont have cell phones or any social medias till at least 15

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
sports31819.png

Super Eight: BC High outlasts Pope Francis in 4 OT thriller, repeats as champion – Boston Herald

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Bunch of idiots rode 4 wheelers all through Nashville over the weekend, blocking traffic, doing donuts in intersections...oh, and dragging a cop down the street and driving off. :mad: :madfire: What is wrong with people?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Bunch of idiots rode 4 wheelers all through Nashville over the weekend, blocking traffic, doing donuts in intersections...oh, and dragging a cop down the street and driving off. :mad: :madfire: What is wrong with people?

Hope the officer is going to be ok!

I've gotten caught between jerks like this before and its terrifying as they weave in and out of traffic screaming at drivers and flipping people off. Almost all of them cover their entire face with some sort of mask so all you see are their crazy eyes.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

They will nail those clowns and hopefully there will be hell to pay for that

Reactions: Alicat

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I had to order a new SS card. I don’t think I’ve had one in about 30 years.
I had to get a new SS card back when I was getting out of the Navy. I think it was because I couldn't find my original one. Found out that when my handwritten application was processed, the 9 in my birthday was "open", and made the 29 look like a 24, so SS administration had my birthday as March 24th, not March 29th. Was a big pain to get it corrected. At least the SSN was right the whole time, so I get credit for all my contributions.

Reactions: Fenway

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I just got one myself. Only it was a live guy from some fugazy "police association". He heard silence after he asked "Howya doin' today?" Hope it wasn't legit :laugh:
I got one from a police Association too. Asked for John. When I told him he had a wrong number, that there was no John there, he said, "then I can help, I'm John," and started into his spiel. I just hung up on him,.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
@Gee Wally to piggy back off of the post above...

Definitely Uber/Lyft. There's a million of them around, and you can get from one end of the city to the other for $10-15 max.

I'll also second Old Town area. A lot history in such a small area, plenty of resturants and some shops around.

Also, definitely check out Gaslamp District. There's plenty of places to eat in Gaslamp. I'd recommend SearSucker. Just great food, and a nice atmosphere. Directly across the street is a place called Barley Mash, which is nice for a quick beer and bite, but with food a bit more upscale than regular bar food.

Depending on when you're planning on heading out there, if you're into baseball, I'd recommend checking out Petco regardless of who the Padres are playing. It's an awesome park.

I know you mentioned your wife wanting to see the Zoo, definitely do it. It's huge, and you easily could spend the whole day there. Close by is Balboa Park, which has some museums, the rose gardens on the far end, food trucks on Fridays in the spring/summer. My wife has a friend that works at the open air bar there as well. Say hi for us :)

USS Midway is absolutely worth seeing as well. It's similar to all the other floating museums like the Intrepid in NYC, but given the history of that ship, there's something more to it personally. They have guest speakers from time to time, and the last time we were there, they had a WWII vet speaking which was great.

If you rent a car at all, it's worth just taking a quick ride to La Jolla and riding around. There are some awesome houses, and some amazing views, plus plenty of small one off shops. Only worth doing if you have your own car IMO.

Definitely take a ride to Coronado. Also some amazing views, and it's a great beach and area in general. Plus there's the history with the Coronado Hotel. You can also Uber/Lyft here and not feel like you're stuck there.

I'm sure my wife has other suggestions as she lived there for 3 years, but off the top of my head, this is what I came up with.

EDIT: One thing I forgot. Definitely get out on a pier and see the sunset over the Pacific, especially if you've never seen it before. It's awesome.

Thinking of going for a full week now.....seems like a lot to do and see....would you agree a week would be good?

Thanks.

Reactions: Strafer

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Hope the officer is going to be ok!

I've gotten caught between jerks like this before and its terrifying as they weave in and out of traffic screaming at drivers and flipping people off. Almost all of them cover their entire face with some sort of mask so all you see are their crazy eyes.
The officer will be fine, he was treated and released. These idiots were everywhere, did hit and runs in a couple places. There were even guys with pickup trucks that helped them evade police. :mad:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The officer will be fine, he was treated and released. These idiots were everywhere, did hit and runs in a couple places. There were even guys with pickup trucks that helped them evade police. :mad:

its why the compilation videos on Youtube of people like that (and a**hole motorcycle riders) getting plastered by cars are A+ schadenfreude

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Speaking of old cars, in my high school yearbook we had several pages with pictures of guys and their "souped up" cars. This was in the late eighties. I went back and looked. We coulda had a car show :laugh:

67 Camaro Prostreet
73 Camaro Z28
70 Chevelle SS
66 Mustang convertible
69 Mustang Mach 1
69 Chevelle SS
69 Mustang
68 Mustang
72 Mustang
72 Olds Cutlass
68 Lemans
81 Camaro