OT: Off Topic 2019 part VI - Winter is no longer coming - IT HAS ARRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Showing my students 12 Angry Men.

Absolute classic!

One of my all time favorites. It always amazed me that such a compelling story could be told in such a tiny setting. There are what, two shots for maybe ten seconds total that occur outside of the deliberation room?

Edit: just had to google it, 3 minutes outside

Last edited:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Yeah you got me beat. I think everything was just north of 20k on my shoulder, 2 hour procedure. I haven’t seen a bill until this one for anesthesia, which was roughly 3 grand and they’re essentially trying to get me for 10 percent. Doesn’t make sense

Ludicrous overcharging sums it up nicely.
What is the worst is that every hospital/Health Care Organization charges different rates to different insurance companies based on what rate package they were able to negotiate. And each insurance company will pay a certain amount for each charge. But if you go in without insurance, or the claim gets denied, you get billed for the top amount, and don't get the advantage of paying the agreed-upon rate insurance companies pay. It's such a racket.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
My favorite portion of the billing is to observe the "discounts" on the claim. The one that took the cake was anesthesiologist for my shoulder surgery: amount billed - $19,000, agreed upon fee - $1,100, I was on the hook for 20% of the agreed-upon. What it simply means, if I walk in without insurance, I will be paying $19,000, when the doctor can afford and still make a profit off $1,100. Nice margin...

In light of what you are saying about the rehab facility - it is, actually, legally allowed price discrimination. Technically, it is per se illegal, but there were several court cases in the 50's-60's that pretty much codified it for legal and medical professions. I presume the investigation will not get anywhere, when the PR machine will start rolling - evil insurance company targets the poorest group of people to extort money.
Actually,in the case of the rehab,the insurance company got reimbursed,a friend of ours owns the investigative company.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It's good that new features are being unrolled on the board. I've yet to try the new live thread feature for GDTs and such, but I have to say I'm not the biggest fan of the original posts in certain threads being pinned to the top of every page. It's alright for a short mod note or something, but when it's a GDT first post, you have to scroll all the way down that on every page and it's a little annoying. Just my two cents.

Edit: I guess that was only the case on Saturday though, didn't show up for yesterday's thread. So maybe it's not a big deal after all.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Has anyone watched that show A Million Little Things? It’s one of those overly dramatic family dramas, where everyone goes through a bunch of crap all the time and every moment is dripping with meaning and so many acoustic guitars. It’s what I assume Parenthood and This Is Us is exactly like.

Anyway, the main group of friends are all Bruins fans, and there are tons of Bruins references in the show. My wife and I refer to the show as Big Sad Bruins. She came up with that one. I’ve never been prouder of her.

Reactions: sooshii and nazartp

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
Actually,in the case of the rehab,the insurance company got reimbursed,a friend of ours owns the investigative company.
Whadda ya know! PR machine did not work - I guess the rehab facility did not want the dirty laundry aired publicly.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Chicago is relatively flat compared to Boston though, right?

Yes. Boston is considered the most difficult course in the world because of the hills. Not just the famous Newton stretch, but the first 10k is downhill which completely shreds your quads. It also means a lot of people, especially those that didn't train on the course, go out way too fast and end up hitting the wall.

Chicago is pancake flat. That's good, but some hills help change up the muscles that are working in your legs. A relatively flat course with some rolling hills is my ideal course. But I'll take an easier Chicago course for sure.

Reactions: LSCII

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I anybody sees me running they better run like hell. Because something real bad is coming.

Two friends were camping when a grizzly bear came at them. One jumped up to start to running, but stopped when he saw his friend tying his shoes.

"What are you doing? You can't outrun a bear!"

"I know," said the friend, "I just need to outrun you."

Anyway, that's how my friend Roger died. I pushed him over while he finished tying his shoes and the bear ate him.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Route 9 and 128 are an absolute disaster thanks to a nasty accident in Newton.

I felt bad asking to leave 30 minutes or so early but if I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have gotten home until 7 or later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad