OT: Off Topic 2018 part III - Here comes the heat again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
When I first was learning how to write I used my left hand. However my teacher made me switch to right handed. Fortunately I had zero problem using that hand instead. I write throw and shoot right. I bat, swing and kick left.

Being able to use either hand came in handy when I had my right shoulder operated on, I didn't struggle the way so many people do when they can't use their dominant hand to complete tasks.
I'm exactly the same. Nuns wouldn't let us use left hand, being the devils hand and all. I'm a lefty in most things but write and throw righty. I also had a couple right shoulder surgeries that I blame the nuns for because I wasn't throwing with my natural hand. I could have been the next Tony Fossas.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
When I first was learning how to write I used my left hand. However my teacher made me switch to right handed. Fortunately I had zero problem using that hand instead. I write throw and shoot right. I bat, swing and kick left.

Being able to use either hand came in handy when I had my right shoulder operated on, I didn't struggle the way so many people do when they can't use their dominant hand to complete tasks.
Nobody made me switch hands, but I learned to do some things righty out of necessity. I was a grocery store cashier in high school, and all the registers were set up so that you could scan with the left hand and do the register stuff with your right hand.

These things were evil. And discriminatory. :sarcasm: And uncomfortable.
old-school-classroom-desks--1447950085-custom-0.jpg

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I was just a kid when erasable pens hit the market. Being young and naive, I thought they had invented a special eraser that could erase ink.

But being a lefty, I soon discovered it was the ink that was erasable. What an absolute mess that was - definitely invented by a righty! ;)

Reactions: Bruinaura

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Man calls police on baby squirrel:

Emergency services received a call on Thursday from the man, who claimed he was being chased down the street by the tiny animal.

Police in Karlsruhe said the unnamed man called them in desperation after he was unable to shake off the small rodent.

Officers sent a patrol car out to investigate and arrived to find the chase still in full flow. But the drama ended suddenly when the squirrel, apparently exhausted by its exertions, lay down abruptly and fell asleep.

2000.jpg

Police in Germany rescue man being chased by baby squirrel

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone else getting a bunch of calls about your house ?

I got 2 within a minute from New York and Medford

I got two at work last week

When you politely tell them to f*** off they start with probing questions

I start nice but once that happens I control the narrative and start asking questions

Really annoying

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Anyone else getting a bunch of calls about your house ?

I got 2 within a minute from New York and Medford

I got two at work last week

When you politely tell them to **** off they start with probing questions

I start nice but once that happens I control the narrative and start asking questions

Really annoying
I answer the phone police department fraud division how can I help you

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
A better way is to answer “Hi is John there?”

Then stick to your guns that you called them looking for John.

Illegal solicitor: "Hello, we'd like to lower your credit card interest rates."

Me: "Yes, I'd like two large pizzas, one pepperoni, and one pepperoni and mushroom."

Solicitor: "I'm sorry, we don't have pizza."

Me: "Okay, then a chicken tikka masala, a lamb korma, and naan for two."

Solicitor: "We don't have any food of any kind."

Me: "Well then you just lost yourself a sale."

*CLICK*

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I cant tell you the last time i answered my phone.
If its a number i dont know i let it go to voicemail.
If its a number i do know i usually text back or let them leave a voicemail so i dont get caught in a long conversation

Reactions: Mainehockey33

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The sheer volume of robocalls with local spoofed numbers as the return has escalated in the last 2 months for us. We used to get maybe one a day, now our phone rings all day long with them. It's insane.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Nobody made me switch hands, but I learned to do some things righty out of necessity. I was a grocery store cashier in high school, and all the registers were set up so that you could scan with the left hand and do the register stuff with your right hand.

These things were evil. And discriminatory. :sarcasm: And uncomfortable.
View attachment 134461

Good lord I remember those desks and the insane thing is, they still very much exist, had a few University classes only a few years ago with desks like this. They were then and are now, horrifically designed, spent more time being uncomfortable that I don`t know I followed the lectures well with the distractions of a seat that was awful

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I was just a kid when erasable pens hit the market. Being young and naive, I thought they had invented a special eraser that could erase ink.

But being a lefty, I soon discovered it was the ink that was erasable. What an absolute mess that was - definitely invented by a righty! ;)

Erasable ink was the devil for me growing up. The entire heel of my left hand would be covered in blue by the end of the school day...

Reactions: Aeroforce

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Waiting to hear about a new job that might give me some more HF time. the last 4 years here have really limited my time. Only issue with new job is there will be travel involved and I have never been a big traveler. Think I nailed the interview so now its just a waiting game to see if they give me an offer and hope the money is right. I know it will be a pay cut but just can't be to much of one. Willing to take a pay cut because the benefits are better and the job offers a pension.

and now I wait

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Waiting to hear about a new job that might give me some more HF time. the last 4 years here have really limited my time. Only issue with new job is there will be travel involved and I have never been a big traveler. Think I nailed the interview so now its just a waiting game to see if they give me an offer and hope the money is right. I know it will be a pay cut but just can't be to much of one. Willing to take a pay cut because the benefits are better and the job offers a pension.

and now I wait
I travel (almost) weekly in my job Scott, and although travelling never bothered me at all, regular travel does take some getting used to. But you do get used to it. Unfortunately, the more you travel, the more often you are affected by delays, the occasional cancellation, and all the things that go with it. Of course, I get paid more because I am willing to take my experience to where it's needed, but the benefits stink and there's certainly no pension. But it does allow me to pick up and move if I want (I hope for the last time!). I did consider consulting 7 or 8 years back and decided I didn't want to miss a bunch of my kids' events, so I didn't get into it then. Then the time was right, and I made the leap. Not sure how regular your travel will be - once a month is different from every week. And of course, more HF time is an added perk!

Best of luck with the job, if it's something you really want. like I said, you get used to the travel, and get better at it. If all the other things of the job are better, then I hope you get it!

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I travel (almost) weekly in my job Scott, and although travelling never bothered me at all, regular travel does take some getting used to. But you do get used to it. Unfortunately, the more you travel, the more often you are affected by delays, the occasional cancellation, and all the things that go with it. Of course, I get paid more because I am willing to take my experience to where it's needed, but the benefits stink and there's certainly no pension. But it does allow me to pick up and move if I want (I hope for the last time!). I did consider consulting 7 or 8 years back and decided I didn't want to miss a bunch of my kids' events, so I didn't get into it then. Then the time was right, and I made the leap. Not sure how regular your travel will be - once a month is different from every week. And of course, more HF time is an added perk!

Best of luck with the job, if it's something you really want. like I said, you get used to the travel, and get better at it. If all the other things of the job are better, then I hope you get it!

it is.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

Thanks. It wouldn't be weekly travel but more like once ever couple months for a week or so. Mostly to vegas but could be anywhere in the US and probably once a year or so international.

Job sounded very interesting so I put in for it never thinking i would have a shot. I did well in the first round where there were 18 applicants. Then went in for the 2nd and feel it went well and it was down to 6 of us. I would be back commuting to Boston again where now I drive to work in Quincy but I did the commuter rail thing for years so i can get used to that again very quick.

I have only been on a plane for 4 trips in my life (Florida twice, Bahamas and Nashville). so that is where my issue with now traveling by plane comes in. Going back to Disney in October so that will be trip 5. If I get the job I will have to go to Vegas within the first 4 months or so for training for a week. That would be my longest flight ever. I am afraid of heights and have anxiety issues going in elevators, tall buildings, air travel but I think it is something I can overcome for this (with the help of meds for the air travel until I adjust).

All I can do now is wait but the anticipation is killing me. Then if I do get an offer I have to go through a background investigation, drug test, finger printing, CORI and all kinds of other stuff (none of which should be an issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->