Off the wall idea

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Could we trade MacD to LV, retain half, and have them buy him out? If I understand the rule, it would cost them and us less than $1m in cap 6 years (1/3 of 5 M for 6 years, split evenly). It might even help them reach floor.

To square it up we through in a mid round pick. Thoughts?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Could we trade MacD to LV, retain half, and have them buy him out? If I understand the rule, it would cost them and us less than $1m in cap 6 years (1/3 of 5 M for 6 years, split evenly). It might even help them reach floor.

Just curious... What would the other side of the Trade look like?

... Looking at a Team that probably wouldn't be near the Cap Limit, I wouldn't think that they would want to use one of their BuyOuts and have dead Cap going forward... Makes no sense, that I can see, for them to do so for a mere mid-round pick... They might need that Cap Space down the line after they sign/obtain higher Contracted Players. Plus, why help another Organization that they will in one way or another compete against?

I can't see that happening... unless Hexy sweetens the Deal considerably... and in that case... Why would he do such a thing when he is so concerned about the future? Every asset has a chance of being meaningful.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I don't think we need to throw away an asset like that mid-round pick - our cap situation is flexible enough to handle his salary until we are finally rid of him. Although I would love him to be removed as an option for playing time, I would rather keep that pick. Also, I don't think Vegas will have a lot of trouble reaching the floor - they are not picking a squad full of rookies making the minimum, so there should be enough veteran salaries (plus whatever free agents they can lure) to have them covered in that regard.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think we need to throw away an asset like that mid-round pick - our cap situation is flexible enough to handle his salary until we are finally rid of him. Although I would love him to be removed as an option for playing time, I would rather keep that pick. Also, I don't think Vegas will have a lot of trouble reaching the floor - they are not picking a squad full of rookies making the minimum, so there should be enough veteran salaries (plus whatever free agents they can lure) to have them covered in that regard.

You can look at it either way. Not being in a cap crunch means you can take the hit without it hurting you.

Doing something like this assumes that they see MacDonald as a negative asset, and it seems pretty clear given his usage that this isn't the case.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Amac isn't worth a roster spot to Vegas. Plus the buy out it 2/3's salary not 1/3.

You'd have to overpay and considering Philly's cap space you just eat it.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I'm no longer convinced that Hextall is considering any drastic moves to solve the MacDonald situation.

AMac has somewhat redeemed himself as an NHL player this season. He will never be worth his cap hit but it looks like he can be trusted enough to play the role of a Veteran mid-pairing defenseman. Maybe that also had some influence in the decision to let MDZ walk instead of keeping him for another couple of years, individual performance aside.

Last edited:

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
He was absolutely terrible for half the season, then an adequate 5/6 type in the second half.

Makes too many errors to be on my blue line, salary aside.

Vegas will have plenty of draft picks. Not worth another one to take on this bum.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Flyers aren't in cap hell this season, even with MacDonald. I want him off the team because I hate him, but Hextall could simply waive him for that.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Flyers aren't in cap hell this season, even with MacDonald. I want him off the team because I hate him, but Hextall could simply waive him for that.

Morin and one of Hagg or Sanheim are in for MDZ and Schultz.

Waive AMac if Sanheim or Hagg beats him out. You can always bring him back up like they did before.

It would be worth trading him and eating some of the contract. AMac has proven he can handle 20 minutes a night (not well, but he can) so some team might need a guy like that.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
amac proved himself as a mid pair defenseman? I really want to know if you were watching #47 out there and not 53, 9, or 3. he was directly responsible for over 50% of the GA during one 10 game stretch. no other dman on the team could claim that including the flaming pile of poo named mandog.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
amac proved himself as a mid pair defenseman? I really want to know if you were watching #47 out there and not 53, 9, or 3. he was directly responsible for over 50% of the GA during one 10 game stretch. no other dman on the team could claim that including the flaming pile of poo named mandog.

He was a top-4 with the Islanders, then joined the Flyers and cashed in on that crazy contract Homer gave him and got demoted to the AHL because he came to training and played like ****.
This season he was used as a #2 by Hakstol... which should never have happened and does not reflect his abilities, I know, you know, ... does not matter. Andrew MacDonald is still playing hockey and most likely will be on the roster as a #4 (worst case) to #7 (best case) next season.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Indeed. He was terrible. He had a few limited brief stretches where he wasn't a calamity, but that's the best you could say about him. He was marginally less disastrous this season than last.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I like the idea
Mostly because something has to be done, he can't be here for 3 more seasons

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
They won't need an ounce of help reaching the cap floor.

If you run a mock expansion draft on CapFriendly, it's hard enough to keep them under the Cap ceiling...

edit: granted, I was trying to give them Joe Thornton and Radulov at their current contract rates...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad