News Article: Off the Ice -- Team/DC News and Notes

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'll miss Jill, but she could honestly go back to genuine reporting (not sports reporting) and have a better career. Hopefully this proves to be a positive career move in the long term for her.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's not her fault the "Let's Stalk Some Fans In The Stands All Game" segment was awkward.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Oshie's versatility can be captured in a single statistic, the do-it-all index, which awards one point for being above the League average in each of 10 categories. Over the past three seasons, Oshie has an average score of 8.3 out of 10 in the do-it-all index, tying him for the NHL lead with Anaheim Ducks center Ryan Kesler, Los Angeles Kings center Anze Kopitar and Buffalo Sabres center Ryan O'Reilly.

Weird statistics galore, but this seemed interesting (and weird). Considering Oshie is the only winger in that group.

Taken from NHL.com so... :laugh:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
35 years ago today, respectability started

DJVDFfgX0AAIRfR.jpg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Weird statistics galore, but this seemed interesting (and weird). Considering Oshie is the only winger in that group.

Taken from NHL.com so... :laugh:

Not sure of the 10 things but face offs is likely to be one. Few wingers take as many face offs as Oshie does. PP, PK, 4on4, 3on3, shootout, hits, blocked shots.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
great pic! but where's Laughlin? Guess he wasn't part of the respectability part? ;)

He was clearly the throw in :laugh: Little did anyone know, he would outlast all of them in DC and get the last laugh...lin.

I may have plans Saturday...
The Capitals will officially open their 2017-18 NHL training camp on Friday, Sept. 15

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Got a question for all you caps fans. I've lived in the area going on two years now and have to ask this - why is the food selection at the arena so unbelievably horrendous? Bread, bread, booze, bread, beer, and bread. I look at the amazing variety of food at the Nats ballpark and wonder what happened at Capital One arena. Just curious.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/capitals-announce-2017-18-promotional-schedule/c-291180300

ARLINGTON, Va. - The Washington Capitals announced today the team's promotional schedule for the 2017-18 season presented by Capital One Bank, highlighted by three all-fan giveaways and several new and returning theme nights.

All fan giveaways include a Capitals schedule magnet presented by GEICO to be distributed at the Capitals home opener vs. the Montreal Canadiens on Oct. 7, a T.J. Oshie Stadium Series bobblehead on March 20 vs. the Dallas Stars and a team poster on April 7 vs. the New Jersey Devils.

Got a question for all you caps fans. I've lived in the area going on two years now and have to ask this - why is the food selection at the arena so unbelievably horrendous? Bread, bread, booze, bread, beer, and bread. I look at the amazing variety of food at the Nats ballpark and wonder what happened at Capital One arena. Just curious.

It's always been like this. As a STH I just end up eating outside. The food inside is bad and overpriced. I guess they don't really care and they talk about how "the food is better this year" but it's all the same old overpriced chicken tenders and fries or pizza or **** like that.

I mean if you are forced to eat inside I'd try the Jose Andres beefsteak restaurant or the BBQ. That's it.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Oshie Stadium Series? Will there be special jerseys for that?

Edit: thought that one was on the first date, makes more sense that there's unannounced jerseys.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/capitals-announce-2017-18-promotional-schedule/c-291180300

It's always been like this. As a STH I just end up eating outside. The food inside is bad and overpriced. I guess they don't really care and they talk about how "the food is better this year" but it's all the same old overpriced chicken tenders and fries or pizza or **** like that.

I mean if you are forced to eat inside I'd try the Jose Andres beefsteak restaurant or the BBQ. That's it.

Supposedly, the new Capital One name came with money for upgrades that were supposed to include the food. We'll see I guess.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

I eat outside as well. The selection inside just sucks. I've been to every NHL arena on the West Coast and Arizona (Vancouver too) and the Caps have the worst selection of all of them combined.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1. That seems like the dumbest excuse ever. Seems more likely that teams know how good the PP is and are more careful to not take penalties. Also, the Capitals themselves are undisciplined and take way too many penalties.

2. If he’s right, then the team should dive more. Work the refs and embellish as much as possible. Nothing wrong with gamesmanship.

Stop blaming the refs and be a better coach.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This part of Trotz's commentary is spot on:
In addition to resisting the urge to dive, Trotz said, the Caps have also been hurt by their own game. As he noted, his players can draw more whistles by possessing the puck more, generating longer shifts in the offensive zone and keeping their feet moving when engaged with opponents-all of which tend to lead to trips, hooks and holds.
"We've been pretty good the last couple of years at extending shifts and drawing those 'tired' penalties on teams," Trotz added. "We haven't been able to do that as much. That's partly on us, partly on our game."

It would also help if they spent less time in the box themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad