off the boards goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueinbigd

Mar 8, 2012
Last year's Stanley Cup game winning goal was scored after the shot went wide of the net - bounced off the boards- and Hornquist from behind the goal line shot it in off Rinne. I was hoping that the league might have thought to come up with a rule that says you can't score directly off the boards. I know there are all sorts of lucky bounces that happen to go in but these are ugly goals that can be designed. Last night John Karlson took a one timer that went wide and bounced off the boards and went right to Ovechkin but he couldn't handle the rebound. If Karlson doesn't rip it quite so hard the bounce off the boards is manageable and its basically a slam dunk into an open net. I believe the the 2nd goal by Vegas in game 2 was scored like this. I have been watching hockey for more than 30 years and this play seems to be more and more prevalent. I just see it as an artificial rebound or an artificial pass from behind the net

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
So you're saying they shouldn't be allowed because you don't like them? Doesn't that seem a bit ridiculous?

It's a creative play and takes skill to pull off.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Last year's Stanley Cup game winning goal was scored after the shot went wide of the net - bounced off the boards- and Hornquist from behind the goal line shot it in off Rinne. I was hoping that the league might have thought to come up with a rule that says you can't score directly off the boards. I know there are all sorts of lucky bounces that happen to go in but these are ugly goals that can be designed. Last night John Karlson took a one timer that went wide and bounced off the boards and went right to Ovechkin but he couldn't handle the rebound. If Karlson doesn't rip it quite so hard the bounce off the boards is manageable and its basically a slam dunk into an open net. I believe the the 2nd goal by Vegas in game 2 was scored like this. I have been watching hockey for more than 30 years and this play seems to be more and more prevalent. I just see it as an artificial rebound or an artificial pass from behind the net
It gives some teams a home ice advantage if they have a bouncy kicker/ boards . Don't see it as a problem tho

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
John Karlson

1438787400085.gif

Im more offended at the misspelling of John Carlson. Remember the guy who wanted to ban high flips? Alt account?

Last edited:

blueinbigd

Mar 8, 2012
I don't think it is that skilled. A player shoots the puck a little wide on purpose and bounces back to a player who has a ton of net to shoot at

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I don't think it is that skilled. A player shoots the puck a little wide on purpose and bounces back to a player who has a ton of net to shoot at
It actually takes a ton of skill and a heads up play that both players are aware of.
That's why you only see it work once every few games.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Pucks that touch the boards period should be considered out of bounds and the play should be blown dead. Doesn't take any skill to use the boards to your advantage. Get it out of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad