Off-season regression?

Rate the off-season so far

Results are only viewable after voting.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You are underrating the backup goalie problem. Helle was overworked last year, IMO. Mason wasn't much of a factor but we still had Hutch to fall back on.

That said, Brossoit may be better than I have been expecting. Other than his games with the Oilers he looked pretty promising. Oilers have made a lot of goalies look bad. We'll see about Brossoit.

If we are forced to play Myers at 2LD we are in trouble on D.

Trouba is another story. I think the OP is assuming that he is traded, in which case he is indeed gone. But in that case, there is a return.

I think Brossoit is better than Hutch. I think training with the same goalie coach as Hellebuyck will go a long way towards the stability he can give the team in that they won't have to drastically alter how they play in front of him. I don't think he can make the big saves that Helle can but the Jets do well at keeping the chances to the lower percentage areas.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Good point haha :) I edited the post to say:
1 is bad off-season, 5 is great off-season. You can change your vote when new developments happen.

Thanks. I'll vote 2, as a slight regression. Could be a 2.5, but I wouldn't give it a 3. Meh draft with no 1st rounder (stupid Stastny rental), proceeded to lose Stastny (greedy Stastny), lost a good defender in Enstrom even if he was an offensive black hole and overpaid, did not get a proven backup goalie to take the load off Helle. I'm expecting a slide in the standings.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I gave it a 5. Signed two very key rfas to good deals. Got cheaper and less injury prone at backup goalie. I never thought the Jets could afford Stastny, I would have been down if they had re-signed him, but it would have meant trading away Perrault and maybe also Myers so I'm fine with how things worked out in that regards. I'm not counting Trouba because we literally don't know what's going to happen with him at this point.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I didn't like losing Stastny but that could be a blessing in disguise. I think it's going to force the Jets to use Roslovic and he's going to step up and make huge impact at center this year.

None of the other changes will affect us much since we haven't lost Trouba and if we do, let's see what we get back.

On the non-changes side of things, we have an incredibly talented group of very young players that may all make a further leap this coming year. All of Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic could have monster years with the right line combos. Who knows what could come from Niku an Vesalainen?

The sky's the limit with the Jets this year and many more to come imo.

Reactions: Jake Barnes

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I don't think we should write off Brossoit just yet. Is he a downgrade from Steve Mason? Yes. A downgrade from a "healthy" Steve Mason. Something he wasn't last season and may unfortunately never be again because he has long been a favorite of mine.

Can Brossoit at a minimum provide the record Mason did? I think that is likely with the team in front of him.

We also gained what's his name from the Habs in the Armia trade.

I know we are talking about the mainroster but our gains in the off season include our draft picks and I for one am interested to see just what Kerdiles and Everberg may bring in the event we need some slightly more experienced injury callups if nothing else.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I voted 4... :thumbu:

Trouba still plays next season and will help us win Stanley this time :D

Little will bounce back in a very good way this season and he will regain the status of a 1B centremen and Perreault will be Perreault.

Buff has matured and will be even greater force to reckon with compared to last season.

Shief will hit another higher level and so will Connor, Ehlers, Laine and of course Roslovic.

Great improvement's will come from Lowry, Copp, Tanev as well as Petan who will be making the team.

Morrissey becomes our #1 defensemen.

Kulikov recovers perfectly and will be more than he gets paid with a dash of dick.

Myers after having a full healthy season under his belt comes in determined to prove to us all he can be 2 -3 defensemen when Jacob is gone and he loves it here.

Chiarot improves as he has done every season.

Morrow will not miss an opportunity to impress.

Helle will win the Venzia and his buddy Brossoit will be much better than Hutch ever was.

Wheeler will not accept any excuses from his teammates for everyone will be ready to start earning two points a game the very first game of the season playing the systems the coaches have coached for us this season.[/b]

All of our players know that we have an excellent chance of fulfilling

6819_FWJets-400.jpg

Go :jets Go

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kgame

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I gave it a 5. Signed two very key rfas to good deals. Got cheaper and less injury prone at backup goalie. I never thought the Jets could afford Stastny, I would have been down if they had re-signed him, but it would have meant trading away Perrault and maybe also Myers so I'm fine with how things worked out in that regards. I'm not counting Trouba because we literally don't know what's going to happen with him at this point.

But isn’t a 2C more important than an expensive 3rd line winger? Trading Perreault and signing Stastny would have been fantastic.

Reactions: bumblebeeman

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
As much as I hate to say it, I am inclined to agree with OP here. I am actually concerned that we might not make the playoffs let alone make a run.

Reactions: amethyst

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
But isn’t a 2C more important than an expensive 3rd line winger? Trading Perreault and signing Stastny would have been fantastic.

There's another 2.4 million the Jets would need to clear tho to make that work, which might come from signing the rfa's to less term I guess or they'd have to trade someone else. I don't really think Stastny is 2.4 million a year better then Perrault tho. Here's comparing their ppg the past few years:

.77 ppg - .56 ppg
.63 ppg - .69ppg
.61 ppg - .58 ppg
.77 ppg - .66 ppg

I would have been happy to see Chevy re-sign Stastny, and I am curious about what sort of moves he would have made to make room for him, but I'm also happy to have Perrault and other players staying and having more money to hopefully lock up all the young rfas this year and next and have a shot at re-signing Wheeler.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
There's another 2.4 million the Jets would need to clear tho to make that work, which might come from signing the rfa's to less term I guess or they'd have to trade someone else. I don't really think Stastny is 2.4 million a year better then Perrault tho. Here's comparing their ppg the past few years:

.77 ppg - .56 ppg
.63 ppg - .69ppg
.61 ppg - .58 ppg
.77 ppg - .66 ppg

I would have been happy to see Chevy re-sign Stastny, and I am curious about what sort of moves he would have made to make room for him, but I'm also happy to have Perrault and other players staying and having more money to hopefully lock up all the young rfas this year and next and have a shot at re-signing Wheeler.

I wouldn’t mind losing Perreault at all as we can’t have that much salary tied up on the third line. There’s diminishing returns at play because the third line gets less ice time than the other two top lines. And we really need one more center. Who will center the second/third line if Roslovic is not up for the task, Copp? I’m not even convinced Maurice has enough confidence in Roslovic playing center, so we may well have Copp centering a line.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I wouldn’t mind losing Perreault at all as we can’t have that much salary tied up on the third line. There’s diminishing returns at play because the third line gets less ice time than the other two top lines. And we really need one more center. Who will center the second/third line if Roslovic is not up for the task, Copp? I’m not even convinced Maurice has enough confidence in Roslovic playing center, so we may well have Copp centering a line.

Bryan Little. Hopefully Roslo is knocking on the door as well and gets a shot playing center. It's true Perrault doesn't play a lot of minutes. He'll probably have to be let go to make room for Laine, Connor and Wheeler's new deals next year.

Anyways Scheifele - Little - Lowry - Copp/Roslovic is a solid group of centers imo

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As much as I hate to say it, I am inclined to agree with OP here. I am actually concerned that we might not make the playoffs let alone make a run.

Probably overly pessimistic, but if they are bound for Lotteryville, I hope they're well down that road early enough that Chevy can make some trade deadline moves. Like selling off Wheeler if he is indeed determined to auction himself to the highest bidder.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Regression is absolutely a possibility -- though it always is, I suppose. I see NSH and STL as likely to finish above us, maybe COL too. My main concerns are in the future though, and we are likely to be a tougher out in the playoffs going forward if we stay healthy and our youth comes through.

Still, we've lost depth, given away a potentially top prospect in the 1-rounder we traded to STL, a 2C, maybe a 1D (again, going forward, depending on what Trouba does), and a capable backup/sometime starter in (a less injury-prone) Mason and Hutch -- both of whom have shown better than Brossoit. And we're still looking at cap trouble.

IDK -- I'm an optimist generally, but this has been a deflating offseason. On the plus side, once the games start, all bets are off. Here's hoping.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Before the Trouba affair having reached a conclusion we are currently at 2.88. Feel free to adjust your vote in around half a day :)

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Arbitration results are in. Time to adjust the off-season ratings accordingly :)

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Arbitration results are in. Time to adjust the off-season ratings accordingly :)

Still at Def Con 2. Will go to Def Con 1 when Trouba traded. If Wheeler gets traded, too... perhaps best to just close our eyes and go to our happy places. :laugh:

giphy.gif

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Still at Def Con 2. Will go to Def Con 1 when Trouba traded. If Wheeler gets traded, too... perhaps best to just close our eyes and go to our happy places. :laugh:

giphy.gif

Maybe we’ll just jump straight to rebuilding again :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->